Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-08-2007, 09:47 PM

Default trail cam pics

well was at stettler gun show and met Bagwan He seems like a nice fellow. Afterwards we headed west to where the trial cam was and swapped cards and this is one of the deer that wandered trough.

Last edited by Kelly & Beth; 09-08-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Fine looking buck....now all you need to do is hang him on your wall.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:16 PM
Doc Holiday

Fer what he lacks in tine length, hes got some mass... nice beam length.. nice pics . I'd throw a tag on that anyday fer sure. Thx fer sharin K & B, looks like yer trail cams are pumpin out some nice photos. Hats off to all of you who spend the time to post yer pics on here for us to enjoy.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:19 PM

unfortunatly I had to move it tonight, been having some horse problems, didnt know the buck was on it till we moved it and got home. Oh well, will have to see what the new site beholds. They sure are addicting though, dont have a second one yet but its not to far behind.
Beth
Old 09-08-2007, 10:34 PM

sweet pics. I wish I wouldn't have bad mouthed that camera so bad now I'm going to check mine tomorrow. I think Walmart has the same ones as we have, on sale right now $139
Old 09-08-2007, 11:19 PM

these pics are from a $139 trail cam... I'm getting one! Maybe two! Any particular model?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:54 AM
-NDN-

do you have to take the whole unit home to check them?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:22 AM

It is a Bushell 2.1 mp with the flash, not the infrared, it cost me $159 including the tax. It uses heat detection to sense the animals. I bought two 1GB cards( cant go bigger than 1GB) ($27), so when I check the camera I just switch the cards, then I had to buy a SD card reader($19) cause I didnt have one and none of my cameras use a sd card. If you have anything that uses sd cards you dont need to buy anything else. So initial setup cost me a bit more, but I'm set now for the second one.
I did have to return my first one, the flash quit working, but this second one is awesome. Not to bad of a camera.I like it, does good daytime pics too.
Beth
Old 09-09-2007, 10:02 AM

Hey Beth, I don't want to sound like a "know it all" but those cameras we have work on motion sensing not heat.

MB1 it's the Bushnell Trail Sentry
Old 09-09-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Ballz View Post
Hey Beth, I don't want to sound like a "know it all" but those cameras we have work on motion sensing not heat.
I always thought it was a combination of both motion and heat. THat way moving branches and falling leaves wont trip the camera.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:18 AM

We must have different cameras because mine says in the manual
"The sensor that triggers the trail camera is Passive Infra Red, or PIR. Infrared energy is essentially heat energy. This zone is a cone in the center 10 degrees of the camera's field of veiw. the camera established an average long-term infrared level. When this level increased suddenly the PIR detector signals the camera to record a picture and/or an event. Because of this effect, the PIR will be more sensitive at night, when the average temperature is lower.
You can use the red LED indicator on the front of the camera to confirm the detiction zone. When PIR is sensed, this "PIR detected" indicator will light. The camera's field of view is a 45 degree cone, centered on the PIR detection zone."

Another reason they suggest that you dont have it facing east or west or in an open meadow where the sun heats up the ground causing heat waves, the camera will take pics then.
My side of the box says
2.1 mp for hig quality digital photos
oversized camera flash for increased range
passive infrared sensor senses game out as far as 45 feet
fast trigger speed
camera functions 24 hours a day
still image and movie modes
motion activated
sd card slot
low battery indicator
extra wide security strapt and extra long battery life

Just thought i'd post that incase others wanted to know what it did.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:32 AM

Most all these PIR triggering device work on movement of heat.
Branches and leaves will not trigger them unless the sun is on these branches, or beyond.
Meaning, a difference of heat & light will be created. And when it moves, the camera will likely trigger a picture.
Yes, stay away from east & west. Sun flickering between the trees can trigger them too, as it senses this as a movement of heat.

TBark
Old 09-09-2007, 11:07 AM

Ah, I stand corrected... partially. They work on movement and heat, good to know.

thank you
Old 09-09-2007, 12:02 PM

I bought mine from Cabela's with 99$ plus tx&ship ....120$.(Moultrie)
it has a 4 mpixels and it works good for me.
I will post some pics soon for you to see the quality.
Check to see how many batteries it uses and what kind.That will also dictate if it is a good investement.
Mine works with 6 D cell and I had it in the field for 2 weeks and it is only at 60%.
Canadian Tire on MacLoud trail (southland) has a special on trail cameras with film. .....45$ or something close to this amount.
A buddy of mine bought one but he says it uses too many batteries ...and he is not thrilled.
however ...if you want cheap ...can't beat that.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:52 PM

And did I read previously that these cameras are on sale at Walmart? In Red Deer?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:49 PM

i bought mine at sportsmen den in red deer, if any of you live in the rimbey, red deer, and stettler area, some of the sports stores put out flyers for fall sale, they have a deal on a moultrie 4 mp camera, probalby the same one mentioned here. Just some info.

Last edited by Kelly & Beth; 09-09-2007 at 10:58 PM.