Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-29-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Same as a partition for practical purposes , just more expensive.
I could be wrong, but I think the A frame holds it's tip together better than the partition... Maybe it's bonded?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I could be wrong, but I think the A frame holds it's tip together better than the partition... Maybe it's bonded?

Yes ... bonded.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:48 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well you got to sum it up to which bullet shoots best out of your rifle, both are good bullets but I tell ya I have had great one shot kills with partitions from 7 mm STW to 7-08....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-29-2016, 05:31 PM

Both the A frame ad the Partition are H-mantel bullets, but the A Frames I have seen have very little lead on the tip as opposed to the Noslers.
Cat
Old 03-29-2016, 06:51 PM

I couldn't see any difference between the two as far as terminal performance went, I'd opt for what the rifle likes and shoots the best.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:39 AM

My 3 long shooting pals got me into the Grand Slam bullets back in the 80's,,, all of us have had incredible success with them over the years.

Harold uses the 180gr 30 cal's in his Ought-6,,, 150gr in Al's 270,,, Stan liked the 175's in his 7mm Mags,,, and I used the 150gr bullet in my 308 winchester along with the 190 gr'ers in my 300 Mag. Very similar to the 210.

Lots of Deer, Elk, Moose and chicken head shots,,, of course this didn't exclud the odd Coyote at the farm.

After looking at all of the impacts over the years, it's no wonder that Jack O'Connor and lots of other shooters picked these bullets,,, it was the flag ship of things to come.

Many other bullet makers jumped on board once the reviews started coming in.

Good frontal impacts, deep penetration,,, along with controlled expansion from each cartrage,,, of course there are advantages and disadvantage to each bullet they make depending on the cartrage.

Typically the 243 is used as a antelope / Deer rifle,,, a 338/ 375 for class II game such as Moose, Elk and Bears,,, so the company makes bullets specific for each intended use.

Grand Slam, Hot Core, and Deep-Curl,,, each of these bullets offer out standing performance for their intended targets.

The GS has had some minner tweeks here and there over the years,,, but it still performs like they did back in 1975. A track record of harvesting critters all around the world.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/speer_hunting_bullets.htm

Al and Harold are pretty good at checking things out once the critters are down,,, they have both noted that the frontal impacts are normally large,,, both thin and thick skin,,, a benefit of the GS to the HC or DC is that the bullets get into the core of the critter causing massive damage,,, shoulder shots hitting solid bone really send things flying. Ha. But these bullets really shines when ribs with fluids behind them absorb the shock-waves... This can be said about alot of bullets that are similar to each other.

"This is not saying that many factors out side our controls don't play a role in how things play out,,, the critter its self is part of the equation to."

I tried some other bullets for hunting over the last 2 years,,, the results were "ok",,, and I'll admit,,, I'm starting to see the differences between the 4 other brands I've been using.

But the time has come to get back to basics using the tool that has worked alot better in my hunting category,,, that's what counts for all of us,,, find something that works,,, stick with or change things up. Each hunter gets to pick and choose what best suits their needs.

It's dam cold up here in Northern Ontario this morning,,, lots of critter tracks in every direction,,, hopefully we get a chance to see how things play out when the thick skins meet their match.

Old school is sometimes the path I like to follow,,, life is much simpler that way.

Good luck everyone as we let the good times roll.

PS: thanks for the thread of sharing,,, that's what hunting is all about. Fishing to. Ha

Old 12-07-2018, 12:30 PM

One thing I have always liked on the NP is the fact that I know it will do as asked when I take that shot. Can't speak to the GS as I have never used them. The NP isn't always the most accurate bullet, but with most guns, it can usually be made to shoot good enough, that it is pretty much ideal for most people. That was the bullet I wanted to use when I started reloading, stuck with it since then. I do have one gun I'm trying to work up a load with using the actual H-mantel as well. Not sure which one really came first, but that bullet design works.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Same as a partition for practical purposes , just more expensive.
I think being bonded holds the A frame together a little better. Someone mentioned in an earlier post the Partition will often shed the lead in the nose.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:51 PM

Woodliegh
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I think being bonded holds the A frame together a little better. Someone mentioned in an earlier post the Partition will often shed the lead in the nose.
Not sure about the A-Frames as I have never used them. I can attest to the Partitions often shedding the entire nose. I would think the bonding on the A-Frame should help prevent this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Woodliegh
Never tried them. My personal preference between the Grand Slam and Partition is the Grand Slam.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims71duster View Post
Lol it doesn't matter,,, try to buy either one of them right now
Haven’t seen one of my old posts with my other name in years lol
Old 12-11-2018, 10:36 AM

I started off with the 200gr Sierra Game King's out of my 300 Weatherby,,, it seemed that every time I'd plug an Elk,,, it would be a pass threw.

Then my old time hunting partner suggested that I try the frugal priced Speer Grand Slams,,, what a game changer,,, them and 7 other bullets in that category now.

1975 when they came out, probilibly off by a few years.

Ha, the kids bug me about throwing them out there,,, they call them "Punch-Junk" bullets. LOL.

Lots of Punch that turn the standing critters into junk. Ha

"Pa-Pack" is the sound I listening for.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Old thread, but so be it.

I don't use either. I haven't needed to. Dead is dead. Dead Moose are still dead even if the bullet didn't go all the way through and still dead if the bullet came apart inside the critter.

But if others want to use them, be my guest.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-12-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask/alta boy View Post
Grand Slam everyday of the week.
The trouble with Speer bullets is that they are getting hard to find in Canada. They seem to be dropping out of the bullet race overall.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 PM

I've used both and they are good bullets. I still use the GS in my 7mm Rem Mag. The gun liked the 175 grain going out at about 2850. Very accurate and it hits hard knocking down everything I've fired it at.

I used the NP in my 270, but I switched to the Nosler Accubond because of the tip and I think the accubond is a little more accurate than the NP in that particular gun.

It is becoming harder to find Speer bullets in Canada, it's too bad, they make a good product.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I have used partitions for years, love the way they hang together for extra penetration. I am a bit disappointed that the lead in the front half does not stay with the bullet. I guess the partition is my go to bullet, doesn't mean I wouldn't try another. I just haven't bumped into or tracked one down yet.
???