Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-29-2009, 02:46 PM

Default # 1 stupid question .

So after a brief argument last night , I thought id do some research but couldnt find any info on my question . Ive bought 6 guns now since Febuary , im wondering how many one can buy before the terrorist alarm goes off , even though im quite the oppisite . I don't recall there being a number but thought id ask . Any info would be great . Id hate for the RCMP to come bang on the door thinking im starting a redneck militia .
Old 05-29-2009, 03:00 PM

Default how many

keep them locked up in a gun safe follow the rules and you will be fine. buy as many as you want. just dont stand them in a closet loaded or let the nieghbours kids play with them. i asked the same question a few years ago.
another thing i do is i remove the bolts and clips and lock them in a different
safe, that way if found no one gets shot. my shot gun and leaver action guns
have trigger and action locks.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb hunter View Post
keep them locked up in a gun safe follow the rules and you will be fine. buy as many as you want. just dont stand them in a closet loaded or let the nieghbours kids play with them. i asked the same question a few years ago.
another thing i do is i remove the bolts and clips and lock them in a different
safe, that way if found no one gets shot. my shot gun and leaver action guns
have trigger and action locks.
There all locked in my gun safe with trigger locks and cable lock on shot gun . The rest are rifles . I guess theres nothing else to worry about .
Old 05-29-2009, 03:14 PM

6 guns since febuary. u plan on going after some big ***** deer this year?
Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucktaker View Post
6 guns since febuary. u plan on going after some big ***** deer this year?
LOL well thats a funny story , last year was my first year of hunting Ever. And before I wanted to buy my own guns I thought id see if my friend would let me use one of his so whatever did that , and Im hooked . I bought a m77 , .280 , .22lr , 17hmr , .22-250 , .410 , and 12 gauge today . Im outta room in my gun safe Id like to get a 30.06 as a back up deer gun also but that will wait until Christmas by that point ill need to spoil myself .
Old 05-29-2009, 03:27 PM

be the time you run across a big elk and no killing power. Well, shot placement always works
Old 05-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
be the time you run across a big elk and no killing power. Well, shot placement always works
not really interested in hunting Elk or moose yet , let the deer come in dozens and it will be all good . I am giving myself 3 to 5 years of deer season before I exploure my options for other big game . That way makes me more comfortable . My personal opinon of course
Old 05-29-2009, 03:58 PM

you never know when u are going to run into them. Took daughter out last fall for whitetail one evening she got a 5x6 bull elk. u never know.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
you never know when u are going to run into them. Took daughter out last fall for whitetail one evening she got a 5x6 bull elk. u never know.
nothing wrong with that . But its my understanding that you have to enter the Draw for elk do you not . Im not sure how that works , I know my hunting partner told me to enter the draw to gain priority for moose as thats what ive done . I dont know , I enjoy being out if its just deer I shoot for now so be it , if its an elk or moose one day good deal .
Old 05-29-2009, 04:12 PM

some zones are general tag for elk 3 point or bigger. No draw needed. buy your tag and away u go. P.S. that other thread is heating up lol
Old 05-29-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
some zones are general tag for elk 3 point or bigger. No draw needed. buy your tag and away u go. P.S. that other thread is heating up lol
Huh I didnt know that , might have to get one for the heck of it . Oh goodie maybe this will be a good one
Old 05-29-2009, 04:17 PM

never go out with out one. some day u will find out why nothing worse then not having a tag.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Banned

If your hunting and shooting skills are half proficiant (about the level mine are at) it doesnt take much of a gun to put down a moose. I think deer are more prone to running great distances than moose when greviously wounded. I had a moose go down on the spot and watch me walk up and give him a kill shot. While dressing him I couldnt help but notice that the first shot had merely broken his shoulders but had struck to far forward to hit anything. vital. A deer with two broken shoulders and a double lung hit that same season made it 30 yards befor he gave up the ghost. This is not to say that you can get away with being sloppy with any big game animal but merely intended to point out that moose for all their size are not as invincible as people who do not hunt them much seem to think. Shoot them right with anything but the smallest of deer callibers and they will die just the same.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
never go out with out one. some day u will find out why nothing worse then not having a tag.
Yeah isnt that always the way it goes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
If your hunting and shooting skills are half proficiant (about the level mine are at) it doesnt take much of a gun to put down a moose. I think deer are more prone to running great distances than moose when greviously wounded. I had a moose go down on the spot and watch me walk up and give him a kill shot. While dressing him I couldnt help but notice that the first shot had merely broken his shoulders but had struck to far forward to hit anything. vital. A deer with two broken shoulders and a double lung hit that same season made it 30 yards befor he gave up the ghost. This is not to say that you can get away with being sloppy with any big game animal but merely intended to point out that moose for all their size are not as invincible as people who do not hunt them much seem to think. Shoot them right with anything but the smallest of deer callibers and they will die just the same.
yeah thats what ive learned from the forum and my friend who shot one last fall , shot it thought he missed went to reload and Thud done deal .Its really amazing . I know last year once I finally hit a deer lol horrible reminder , anyway lots of practise later im doin good now , He jumped double lung shot he was done , ran maybe 50 feet and not even a kick outta him . Ah well ill tell ya he was tastey .
Old 05-29-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
YUP, many years back when i FINALLY got drawn for a moose i was stoked!!!
I didn't buy an Elk tag as I figured a moose would more than be enough.
My two huntin buddies listened too me fret about it the whole drive there and asked that we stop at a store before we left civilization.
OK no biggie, when we stopped they told me too go buy an elk tag so i would shut up already!!!.
Never got my moose that year but i have a NICE 6x7 elk hangin on my wall from that trip !!!
I never go hunting without an elk tag !!!
Old 05-29-2009, 04:30 PM

last year got drawn for a cow elk. Was set up opening day waiting 45 elk came within 50yards of me. 15 legal bulls 2 nice big 6x6 im sitting there with a cow tag. Never again.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
YUP, many years back when i FINALLY got drawn for a moose i was stoked!!!
I didn't buy an Elk tag as I figured a moose would more than be enough.
My two huntin buddies listened too me fret about it the whole drive there and asked that we stop at a store before we left civilization.
OK no biggie, when we stopped they told me too go buy an elk tag so i would shut up already!!!.
Never got my moose that year but i have a NICE 6x7 elk hangin on my wall from that trip !!!
I never go hunting without an elk tag !!!
Huh who knew , I didnt think there were that many around . I know you see plenty towards the west Hinton area south to Kananaskis area . Thats neat . Good tip thats forsure .
Old 05-29-2009, 04:35 PM

hey john sorry about hijacking your thread.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:36 PM

Default 280

you own already own a center fire that will kill any thing in north america, spend your money on glass, ammo, days off, lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
hey john sorry about hijacking your thread.
No man its all great info .
Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post
you own already own a center fire that will kill any thing in north america, spend your money on glass, ammo, days off, lee
Thats the plan Im going to pick up a deasent scope Ive been really looking at the Bushnell Elite 3200 with Rainguard , 3 x 9 x40 I think that should be adiquite enough for hunting deer in the bush . And the rest is what they wrote . I really enjoy the .280 probably not the most beautiful gun out there , but thats find , im satisfied with what I have got it dialed in , ill put a new scope on it and call it good .
Old 05-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
His .280 will kill anything in alberta with out a problem. Ive seen them drop huge moose and grizz in northern bc I have one and have shot alot of animals with it. Good caliber
Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 PM

like said above the 280 will put any moose on its ass!!!! i see we have a magnum guy in here!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 PM

We are gearing up the Suburban right now and when we knock at your door, your better get ur azz on the ground ....... then I want you to whisper in my ear "Don't TAZE me bro'"
Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
So after a brief argument last night , I thought id do some research but couldnt find any info on my question . Ive bought 6 guns now since Febuary , im wondering how many one can buy before the terrorist alarm goes off , even though im quite the oppisite . I don't recall there being a number but thought id ask . Any info would be great . Id hate for the RCMP to come bang on the door thinking im starting a redneck militia .
Six guns since Febuary?
I don't think you have anything to worry about - I think I bought 4 in the last 3 weeks!
seriously though, if they are stored correctly, there is nothing to worry about.
Cat
Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
We are gearing up the Suburban right now and when we knock at your door, your better get ur azz on the ground ....... then I want you to whisper in my ear "Don't TAZE me bro'"
Please don't be to ruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Six guns since Febuary?
I don't think you have anything to worry about - I think I bought 4 in the last 3 weeks!
seriously though, if they are stored correctly, there is nothing to worry about.
Cat
Absolutely some might think I'm over board on the protection of my gun both trigger lock and cable lock on my guns as they sit at home and bolts removed and hidden in a safe place out of the dust and outta mind.I know my buddy's think I'm crazy and worried , I always say rightfully so, all are registered locked up tight and its all good.4 guns in 3 weeks man i'm envious.I want 4 more to add but those will wait until I get real good with what I have. Im super excited for September.No more goose hunting with my bow.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:34 AM

My friend in the FBI told me if you have bad in your user name on a hunting sight they will red flag you after 4 guns. Everyone else is ok until 9.

I killed lots of moose growing up in BC and unless AB moose are tougher or faster you will not need a cannon for them. They are like big dumb 4 legged grouse.

Last edited by deanmc; 05-30-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
I think if you're driving down the road, with them heaped up, in the pickup, the alarm might go off.
Grizz