Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 PM

good on ya. we pretty much have to regulate ourselves anymore. or there will be nothing at all. its bad enough as it is. hopefull the fish had a good spawn this year and in five years or so we get into some good fishing again. good luck everyone.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
Any chance these guys were driving a tan toyota sienna and were of asian descent? Just curious, reported some poachers last weekend at Coal for the same thing.

Nice job on the RAP call, the more people that call, the more poachers get caught. Good thing for everyone!

Saw them @ lac st. Anne on Saturday. Same Asian decent, Same tan/gold Sienna Van. F&W were there and busted them. They got it their Van and drove off. They were back 15 Mins later Fishing after F&W left......... Wonder if they will EVER pay all those tickets?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 PM

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
Saw them @ lac st. Anne on Saturday. Same Asian decent, Same tan/gold Sienna Van. F&W were there and busted them. They got it their Van and drove off. They were back 15 Mins later Fishing after F&W left......... Wonder if they will EVER pay all those tickets?
WOW. That really ticks me off.

Can't F&W confiscate equipment for repeat offenders? Take all their rods/lures/tackle for a first try. IF they seem them out again, impound the van.

I appreciate what F&W is trying to do, and yes this will catch up with these guys at some point but in the meantime they are contributing to our failing fisheries...
Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippered beef View Post
hero.. get off your clydesdale
Useless post..... get off your keyboard

Lefty
Old 05-29-2011, 06:02 PM

Response from the F&W Officer relating to the incident,

"I wasn't able to find the guys the other day but will as soon as I can. It will result in more of a stern talking to but at least they will know they are being watched. Thanks for calling it in as even if we don't get charges this time we have the history for when we deal with them in the future. Thanks and call anytime. Have a great summer!!"

Lesson learned....next time I observe poachers I will let them take the illegal game and call F&W so they can catch them with the evidence.

Lefty
Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Response from the F&W Officer relating to the incident,

"I wasn't able to find the guys the other day but will as soon as I can. It will result in more of a stern talking to but at least they will know they are being watched. Thanks for calling it in as even if we don't get charges this time we have the history for when we deal with them in the future. Thanks and call anytime. Have a great summer!!"

Lesson learned....next time I observe poachers I will let them take the illegal game and call F&W so they can catch them with the evidence.

Lefty
Wonder if they leave the keys in their van... Walk over, reach in the open door, grab keys, yell HEY BOYS and throw their keys into the lake...

Now THAT would be funny. No running away for them...

And to all the haters and flamers, YES i know its illegal and YES i know we should leave that kind of thing to best guide, but admit the idea is rather pleasing....
Old 05-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
you have got to be joking?!?!?!?

well....unless you are a sienna driving asian poacher!
Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:

Been caught poaching kippered...Go join a support group
Old 05-31-2011, 06:31 PM

Hey Lefty! Glad to have found you here. I haven't posted here in ages but have been lurking around lately.

My dad and boyfriend and I were there when you stomped over and "busted" those guys, we were unloading our little green boat. I couldn't figure out what you were doing at first and then it became apparent, and I was proud! Oh it made me SO mad when they tossed those fish back in the water, seeing them flop off the banks...just urgh!!

Should I call and back you up, so to speak? I saw it all too, all three of us did. Although I can't remember what day it was, or the time

There were plenty of people there, and right beside them too...did they conveniently not notice? I saw you stop to talk to a few of them.

As a side note, we caught lots of little farts that evening, and oh the mosquitos!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwalking View Post
Hey Lefty! Glad to have found you here. I haven't posted here in ages but have been lurking around lately.

My dad and boyfriend and I were there when you stomped over and "busted" those guys, we were unloading our little green boat. I couldn't figure out what you were doing at first and then it became apparent, and I was proud! Oh it made me SO mad when they tossed those fish back in the water, seeing them flop off the banks...just urgh!!

Should I call and back you up, so to speak? I saw it all too, all three of us did. Although I can't remember what day it was, or the time

There were plenty of people there, and right beside them too...did they conveniently not notice? I saw you stop to talk to a few of them.

As a side note, we caught lots of little farts that evening, and oh the mosquitos!
Hey Outwalking! Welcome back....

Thanks for the support! Much appreciated......yah there was a bunch of folks there turning a blind eye.....which is ok (for them) but I personally just couldn't NOT say something.

I had to walk over there first just to see if my hunch was correct.....I just had to see how big the fish were these guys were keeping. Well when I found out you know the rest....

After I talked to those guys the other fisherman nearby chatted with me and gave me the kudos for speaking up....

No worries about calling, the F&W guy I spoke to said he will try to catch up with them and let them know people are being diligent and they WILL notice and make calls to the RAP line.

Thanks again for the support! Nice to hear that some people approve of my actions the other day. I don't think I was rude to them....just a bit loud and "matter of fact" !

Lefty
Old 05-31-2011, 08:08 PM

I appreciate everyones comments.....BUT. I must state to all the young fisherman out there......Do NOT confront potential poachers!!
F and W has very clear instructions on how they want us to participate in the RAP program and if followed properly....it has a high conviction rate.
We are not the law, we are not Charles Bronson, leave your phone booth at home and let the trained pros do their job.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I appreciate everyones comments.....BUT. I must state to all the young fisherman out there......Do NOT confront potential poachers!!
F and W has very clear instructions on how they want us to participate in the RAP program and if followed properly....it has a high conviction rate.
We are not the law, we are not Charles Bronson, leave your phone booth at home and let the trained pros do their job.
X2

Although I stand by my actions 100% next time I will choose to not be so vocal and I will collect the information in a logical manner offering "best descriptions" that fit the situation and pass this information along to F&W. This was the first time I have ever called RAP and one of the first times I have seen such blatant disregard for the rules so my feelings on poachers shone through!

By the way if any of you meet me I am not an imposing figure in the least I just have a loud voice at times and i stand up for what I believe in .......I was 1 they were 3 it could have ended up worse for me!

Lefty
Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Good advice chubb!

On another note, if you want to do something pro-active while waiting for RAP. Grab your camera and take pics of the guys, fish, vehicle, etc... just an idea...
Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Good advice chubb!

On another note, if you want to do something pro-active while waiting for RAP. Grab your camera and take pics of the guys, fish, vehicle, etc... just an idea...
Even better, take a video. Most cameras and phones are capable.

If a photo is worth a thousand words, a video is easily worth a thousand photos.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 PM

with the sounds of all these reports of people abusing our natural resources it makes me wonder how strickt the laws are regarding the poachers. it sounds like a slap on the wrist if its not deturing them from being a repeat offender. i agree with a strickter policy regarding repeat offender of seisure of gear and vehicles and maybe jail time if fines are not paid??
Old 05-31-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoplex View Post
Even better, take a video. Most cameras and phones are capable.

If a photo is worth a thousand words, a video is easily worth a thousand photos.

unless your as sneaky as the guys who make upskirt videos...i dnt recomeed taking any.....too high a chance they get suspicious.
Snap a sneaky pic and call it good if you can
Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Default Good on yah, Lefty

People like you will make a difference in the long run, maybe not everywhere, but at least locally. Kudos for being proactive and checked out the fishes before telling them off.
A suggestion would be that if you posted their license plate numbers and a simple description of their vehicle, members and those lurking on these forums will eventually meet up with these poachers and be aware of these guys. At the very least they'll have to find alternate transportation once their vehicle become too "hot" to handle.
As for F&W, they will eventually get the poachers and make the charges stick with each call (evidence) we submitted.
Everyone else, please keep up the good work on calling RAP.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
man I can not believe the poachers you guys have out there...I hardly ever see anyone when I go fishing, let alone people poaching...
That has to do with the fact that Alberta has roughly 14x as many anglers to each body of water as does Saskatchewan, I expect.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately after the uproar on another thread about me posting a somewhat description of the vehicle and occupants......I would actually fear that I could be implemented in a "witch hunt" for these guys. Trust me that is not, and never was my intention.

I do have the license plate written down as well as other descriptors and I passed it along to F&W. So I will let them do what they need to do.

Heaven forbid someone else fitting the description I gave was out fishing with his family or kids and someone ran them off (or worse) in a case of mistaken identity.

F&W need our eyes and ears out there. In as many years as I have been fishing and hunting I have only been stopped twice. Unfortunatly we have a vast province and they can't be everywhere checking everyone.

Lefty
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM

lefty, is that the sneaky places you go or the honest face? Last year I got checked twice in 24hr within 2 miles of my cabin! might of been the hard time I had given him about never seeing him that done that tho.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:32 AM

Well I do tend to go in the back woods or hunt private property......and I am not a road hunter so likely I am in areas the F&W are usually not in. Last time I got stopped was on Pigeon Lake about 2 years ago and that was the time I forgot to sign my license.....but the officer was super friendly and passed me a pen to sign it then and there. The time before that was over 15-20 years ago when I was moose hunting with my Dad up by Bonnyville.

Lefty
Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 AM

Default !!!

LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Awesome Job LC, if you can make it to WSS Saturday for the AO meet I would like to shake your hand.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Thank you Lefty-Canuck for doing that.

I agree with ishootbambi that I probably just monitor their action and call F&W right away. The reason I am doing this way is because of two reasons:

1) By confront them directly, you could put yourself in a dangerous position bacause not all of the Poachers will be scared-off or run away. We don't want to see you get hurt.

2) My friend, who is a memeber of law enforcement team, told me that unless the prosecutors have sure evidence to bring the people to the court they won't do anything. Especially in this kind of case, the porcher could have all kind of execuse or even deny it. You know our justice system is not always punish the bad people.
By calling F&W right away, F&W can do a lot of things to nail those pochers.

This is just my two cents. The most impontant thing is that we don't want you getting hurt.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:

That is a typical liberal attitude that lets criminals get away with things.

"don't say any thing let the authorities handle it"

Maybe if we all spoke up and told them they were poaching, they would find it harder to poach. You don't have to confront them in an aggressive way, but a simple coment like, " do you realize that those fish are to small to keep?" would suffice.

Seems like these guys bail whenever someone points out their poaching, so if we all point it out, they will not be able to poach.

Or, we could just put our heads in the sand and ignore the problem......NOT!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredeb View Post
Maybe if we all spoke up and told them they were poaching, they would find it harder to poach.
Perhaps, but one does need to exercise care and to carefully assess each situation...many poachers can get quite confrontational when approached.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
WOW. That really ticks me off.

Can't F&W confiscate equipment for repeat offenders? Take all their rods/lures/tackle for a first try. IF they seem them out again, impound the van.

I appreciate what F&W is trying to do, and yes this will catch up with these guys at some point but in the meantime they are contributing to our failing fisheries...
I believe that only judge can do that but the prosecutor have to bring hard and solid evidence to the court
Old 06-02-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Maybe if we all spoke up and told them they were poaching, they would find it harder to poach. You don't have to confront them in an aggressive way, but a simple coment like, " do you realize that those fish are to small to keep?" would suffice.

Seems like these guys bail whenever someone points out their poaching, so if we all point it out, they will not be able to poach.

"Maybe if we all spoke up and told them they were poaching, they would find it harder to "

I don't think that a lot of Poachers really care what we say. The only reason that they may go away is because they don't want to get report then fined by F&W. They will come back continuing poaching once we left. By calling F&W, there are higher chace that those procher get nailed and fined.

Last edited by DiehardFishingMan; 06-02-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:

lol....ive called RAP 7 times....EVERYTIME it lead to a confiction.....it works. Did this lead to a conficton???
Its not my job to educate people who dont want to read the REGS.....let the CO's tag them all.

yaah im a liberal.....lol..hahhahahaahahaa
Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
<snipped a load of macho BS>
Are you... John Wayne?!