Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Yes please keep the walleye under control at gull. No better time than now. Hope they give lots of tags for the mid range fish and manage it as the perch whitefish and Ling and pike lake that it is. Nothing wrong with having the odd big walleye around and they will spawn successfully if they are big mature experienced females. Pike should be one under 75cm for a year or two to protect the dwindling number of bigger females because they have great gene pool there. Just my opinion.
Way too proactive! I've never seen regulations changed in Alberta to prevent a problem, usually any change comes along several years after a total collapse.

My biggest problem with them is that they never seem to realise that their lopsided management, protecting some species very carefully, while showing little concern for others, tends to throw lakes completely out of whack on a long enough timeline. Pike, walleye, perch, and whitefish... these species should all exist in well balanced populations in many of Alberta's water bodies, and did at one point. Right now its pretty hard to find a lake where one or the other of these species doesn't exist in an overpopulated and stunted state, while some of the others are nearly non-existent. Some of our rivers do manage to display a balanced eco-system but very few of our lakes.

Last edited by Bushleague; 03-15-2017 at 09:06 PM.