Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2024, 12:12 PM

Default CDN Canola Growers Association

Wanted farmers feedback if they have received CCGA financing from this organization. Have used FCC and AfSC previously. But the advertised 100k at 0% looks far more attractive and financially better decision.

Anything to watch out for or bad experiences. Unfortunately grain prices are looking like another bad year so need to save as much as possible on input costs.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:39 PM

Default Cap

Are you talking about the cash advance program? I have used it for close to 20 years. $50 administration fee and you’re good to go. Need to pay off last years advance before you can start a new one. Basically one year just rolls into the next one.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:29 PM

It’s a bit of a different tool for cash flow than borrowing money from AFSC or FCC for inputs. Yes it’s 0% interest but any grain you deliver to the elevator automatically goes to pay off the advance. I like revolving loans but with interest rates up have to watch how you use those as well.

I tried it once and it wasn’t really for me. It didn’t help that years ago my father advised me to stay away from advances if I could. Maybe that advice has helped me or hindered me all these years.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:46 PM

Is the advance tied to a Futures contract? Is there a discount on price when delivering grain for sale?

Just curious. They have to be making money somehow. Or is the amounts over $100 K at a higher interest rate?

Drewski
Old 03-03-2024, 02:58 PM

Advance isn't tied to anything. When you deliver grain some companies take the refund off some don't. The money is federal canola growers only administer it.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:04 PM

Advances are not tied to a contract although must be secured either with crop insurance coverage or actual grain in the bin. They also don't cover full price for grain, but about only roughly 50-60% of what it's worth. Pretty much limits risk of a substantial drop in crop prices. Up to $100000 is interest free, anything over that is prime less 0.25%. Still reasonable. Must pay a portion back everytime you sell grain. There are also deadlines and penalties if payments not made on time and such. Doesn't come without it's rules.
Old 03-04-2024, 04:59 AM

It's a great program and you have nothing to be concerned with other than making sure you have enough cash or product to sell in order to clear off your loan by the deadline. I take a cash advance every year on stored grain but just the interest free portion. I see for the 24/25 crop year the interest free portion has been reduced to $100k. For the past few years that amount was a lot higher. Unfortunately $100K doesn't go very far today.
Old 03-04-2024, 02:26 PM

Have been using this the Advance Payment Program with our calf crop for 4-5 years now. There are many administrators for the program, but I have been using CCGA as the administrator for my advance as there was no fees (other administrators charge between $50-500 to use them for the program).

Great program to have interest free advances that are repaid as you sell your inventory (calves or grain). Even if I didn't need the cash, I would advance, put in a GIC for the expected period before resale and earn 4-5.5% interest on it. My opinion only, but you would be crazy not to take interest free money.

DR
Old 03-04-2024, 08:32 PM

Using advance to purchase GIC’s also crossed my mind as well. At 0% it’s a no lose situation.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Using advance to purchase GIC’s also crossed my mind as well. At 0% it’s a no lose situation.
Except for the taxpayers.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Except for the taxpayers.
This is not subsidized by tax dollars
Old 03-04-2024, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman1978 View Post
This is not subsidized by tax dollars
You sure about that?

From CCGA's FAQ:
​​​The Advance Payments Program (APP) is a federal program, delivered and administered by Canadian Canola Growers Association. Under the program, the Government of Canada provides the loan guarantee, funds the interest-free portion of advances and helps to make low interest rates on the remainder for Canadian producers.
https://www.ccga.ca/cash-advance/Pag...s.aspx#k=#s=21

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
You sure about that?

From CCGA's FAQ:
​​​The Advance Payments Program (APP) is a federal program, delivered and administered by Canadian Canola Growers Association. Under the program, the Government of Canada provides the loan guarantee, funds the interest-free portion of advances and helps to make low interest rates on the remainder for Canadian producers.
https://www.ccga.ca/cash-advance/Pag...s.aspx#k=#s=21

ARG
I thought It was viewed as “revenue neutral” and not a subsidy in the SCAP agreement but I could be wrong.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:23 PM

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Write to your MP and tell him you want to make life more difficult for farmers. Let me know his response.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:35 PM

In short, the interest is subsidized by the taxpayers. Still short, but a little longer version, the government of Canada borrows funds to cover the interest on these loans (and the money that is never repaid, of course - defaults, if you will) and these funds they borrow aren’t free either.

This is not knocking on anything or anyone, just context. The way things work.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Write to your MP and tell him you want to make life more difficult for farmers. Let me know his response.

Send it to a Liberal MP, I'm sure the response will be...

Hold My Beer!
Old 03-05-2024, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarms11 View Post
Send it to a Liberal MP, I'm sure the response will be...

Hold My Beer!
Or better yet that Cooky NDP MP that wants to make promoting oil and gas hate speech. This would give him something to chew on.