Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2018, 09:24 PM

Default Fire logs

Anybody ever use those fire logs in your wall tent stove? I have just converted my cargo trailer in order to use a wood stove. I have one of the small GWM stoves. Curious to know if they can be used in order to extend the burn time overnight. Have you used them as your sole source of heat? I will be using the stove for 2 nights at a time.
Thanks
Old 09-03-2018, 09:50 PM

It’s been a while, but I used to have a wood fireplace in my living room. Went through a couple boxes of those logs (can’t remember brand unfortunately). They burned a while, 3-4 hours ish until it was out. The thing was after the initial hour it was a pretty small flame. Did the trick to set the ambience at Xmas and didn’t have to really tend to it while guests were over what not It did produce some good heat at the beginning I remember. Could have been the brand, just my experience. Hope that helps. Green box from Canadian tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 01:56 AM

Why spend money on fire logs when raw wood can be free.
Put a small fresh air intake close to or attached to the stove or you might choke yourself out. Always warm the stove pipe up with a burning paper inside to create an updraft before firing the stove up to avoid downdrafts and smoke in the trailer.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-04-2018, 07:03 AM

I burn the Canawick hardwood blocks in the cylinder stove in my 7x8 insulated ice fishing shack and they work great. I get about a 7-8 hour burn time with the damper closed right down. They don't light very well so I usually start them with some cedar kindling, but once there are some coals they will eventually burn. I've never had split and dried firewood give me 7-8 hours of heat like these blocks, at the most we usually got no more than 5-6 hours with spruce or pine. One thing to watch for is creosote - after only 6 weekends and 3-4 day trips in the shack we had at least 1/8" of creosote, maybe more in the chimney elbows. I was thinking of trying these in the wall tent at night, especially before we have a chance to cut some wood.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Why spend money on fire logs when raw wood can be free.
Put a small fresh air intake close to or attached to the stove or you might choke yourself out. Always warm the stove pipe up with a burning paper inside to create an updraft before firing the stove up to avoid downdrafts and smoke in the trailer.
I have a fresh air intake at the stove and have also installed cement board on the wall and under the stove. Fire extinguisher will be purchased as well as smoke and co detector this week. I think I have it covered, anything else I might be missing?
Old 09-04-2018, 08:14 AM

Try some raw chunks of coal don't know if they still sell it anywhere in Alberta

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2018, 10:48 AM

I cannot speak to the manufactured logs, but I get way better burn time out of hardwood at home so I’ll load that in for the overnight burn and burn spruce and such during the day. A good source of cheap (ie: free) hardwood is to contact a local arborist and haul various hardwoods from their job sites. It’s a win/win, they’ll save labor and hauling/disposal and you’ll get your firewood. They’re already going to have all the firewood they can stand, if they even have a fireplace to begin with.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-04-2018 at 10:56 AM.