Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 10:50 AM

Default Leica Geovids vs Swaro EL range

Well as we all know optics can make the difference between a successful and unsuccessful hunt. Have an older pair of swaro's that I like however I would like have a ranger built in. I also purchased a Leica scope for a rifle and have fallen in love with it.

So now I need some opinions between the Leica Geovid 10x42 & Swarovski ELs? Let's hear it.. The good... Bad... Ugly and everything in between.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:03 AM

I would take the Swarovski el range over the Leica geovids, all day everyday. Unfortunately I bought my geovids before Swarovski introduced the el range.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
I would take the Swarovski el range over the Leica geovids, all day everyday. Unfortunately I bought my geovids before Swarovski introduced the el range.

Thanks for reply.
Why is that? Just curious,

I have heard amazing things about both. Also heard a few bad about both. Just trying to find a bit more info.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:18 AM

Better optically, with less eye strain when using them for long periods of time.

If possible, I would suggest seeing if you could borrow the two from buddies adjust them both carefully to your eyes and compare them in actual field conditions.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 AM

I was looking at these two as well. The Swaro's are a bit smaller and lighter which i like but as far as glass goes the reviews I read are comparable. I'm leaning towards Leica HD-R myself due to availability. The one thing that the Leica's have that i don't think the Swaro's do is a built in ballistics function that'll calculate hold over for any rifle you program into it. I'm not a big long range shooter so might not be of any value but a cool function none the less.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Better optically, with less eye strain when using them for long periods of time.

If possible, I would suggest seeing if you could borrow the two from buddies adjust them both carefully to your eyes and compare them in actual field conditions.
Awesome. Thanks for the reply Double Gun. I will do that. Take both out and put them to the test.

Basically what I have heard is like you said. They are better optically.
The swaros rangefinder have had some issues however. Actually a few major ones I have read about. Thankfully Swarovski warranty is great and dealt with them all. But I still can't afford downtime. That's the only thing keeping me from the swaros.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 AM

Basically what I have heard is like you said. They are better optically.
The swaros rangefinder have had some issues however. Actually a few major ones I have read about. Thankfully Swarovski warranty is great and dealt with them all. But I still can't afford downtime. That's the only thing keeping me from the swaros.[/QUOTE]

I'd be very interested to know what you think after a field test!
Old 02-14-2018, 11:33 AM

For what it’s worth, I had heard horror stories about leicas warranty service - but I sent my rangemaster in after I couldn’t range past about 20yards and they replaced it no questions asked and sent me a new battery cap/cover thing for my geovids at no extra cost.

Don’t take my post as being negative towards Leica, I like mine - I just prefer the Swarovski product.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
I was looking at these two as well. The Swaro's are a bit smaller and lighter which i like but as far as glass goes the reviews I read are comparable. I'm leaning towards Leica HD-R myself due to availability. The one thing that the Leica's have that i don't think the Swaro's do is a built in ballistics function that'll calculate hold over for any rifle you program into it. I'm not a big long range shooter so might not be of any value but a cool function none the less.
Yes they are very similar, I do have to give swaro the bit of an edge in glass quality at this point in time. Just based on reading, looking through, things I have heard. But everyone's eyes are a bit different. I really like both. I have to give the leicas a huge edge in the rangefinder again based off the same thing. I do like that you can program ballistics into it. But to be totally honest I probably won't ever shoot over 300 yrds so as much as its a kick ass feature Im not heart set on it. That's just me though.

I will defiantly let you know how the field test goes.!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:44 PM

I bought new Leica last year. I wanted Sworo but the price difference was huge expecially when Leica went on sale. Saved over $1200 I think if I remember right.
Personally I find Swaro brighter to look through and I like the glass better.
Swaro rangefinder not good for Archery as it starts at 33 yards....
Leica has way more options on the range unit and you can program your persoanal rifle to the rangefinder.
My 2 cents
Old 02-14-2018, 12:57 PM

Me and my brother bought 2 Leika 1600 4 years ago .
In a good weather in a mountains both give readings not more then 1-2 m difference up to 1500m.
Works good for archery as well.
Never had a Swaro , so no comments here .
S12
Old 02-14-2018, 04:41 PM

Was actually in the process of trading My Leica for swaro's, only because i got a swaro atx spotting scope and i like my things to match when possible (lol i know) so i meant up to go shooting with a fella that had the swaros and after using them both i ended up keeping my Leica. Hard to explain exactly but was looking at a muley on a hillside and it seemed to pop more with the leica.

Size wise i did like holding the swaro better.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:32 PM

Smile My 2 cents

I like my geovids,never had issues with classing to long,range finder is great and can program as many ruffles as a person wants just get extra sd cards
Old 02-16-2018, 02:36 PM

Geovids were on sale on camp fire a couple days ago for a great price
Old 02-16-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjolg123 View Post
Was actually in the process of trading My Leica for swaro's, only because i got a swaro atx spotting scope and i like my things to match when possible (lol i know) so i meant up to go shooting with a fella that had the swaros and after using them both i ended up keeping my Leica. Hard to explain exactly but was looking at a muley on a hillside and it seemed to pop more with the leica.

Size wise i did like holding the swaro better.
I have looked through both , at same time to compare on a cutline last fall

Both are wonderful glasses , I have owned many many pairs of Swarovski bino the last 25 years , plus 2 spotting scopes , they make a great product

In my opinion the Leica's are still better , better glass , better feel in the hands , and they still rated best for ranging targets , and like you said things just seem to pop out a lil better

I have Leica's
Old 02-17-2018, 08:42 AM

Default Leica Geovids vs.

I have tried them all, and in my opinion, nothing beats Swarovski. Save your money, and save up for a pair that you will have for the rest of your life. You get what you pay for. I love mine!
Old 02-17-2018, 08:46 AM

I have owned both and now use Swaro El’s. Leica in my opinion make better range finders but not binoculars. The price tag for Swaro El’s are are a tough pill to swallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk