Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-31-2013, 11:55 PM

Default Smoker out of an oven????

Has anyone ever made a smoker out of an old oven? I ask because I have an old one and it occurs to me that it probably would work quite well at being able to control temps itself and it would really hold the smoke. If you moved one of the burners into the oven just to burn the chip tray and then regulate temp with the oven itself it should work great. Obviously I need 220V; but can anyone tell me why it might not work. It should theoretically work in my mind. I would put it outside by the way.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Banned

it should work great.

We had one when I was a kid that my dad made from an old 1950's Frigidaire,, our current smoker is a garbage can.

If the stove you have is one of the slightly newer/older ones with that door lock mechanism, you could get a nice seal,,, just wondering about the outflow though,, too much smoke can be a killer, but it's not like you can't play around a bit.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:19 AM

All it takes is a hole in the top with a damper. Not sure why I never thought of this before.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:44 AM

Default As found

Instructions

Find an old electric oven that has all of its racks. For easy cleaning and assembly, look for an oven with a large bottom drawer. Don't worry about electrical function, burners or knobs, because you don't need an oven that works.

Remove the burners and burner covers, top of the oven with all of the knobs and electric parts, so that only an empty skeleton of an electric oven remains.

Drill a hole in the center front of the large drawer towards the bottom. You want the hole to be large enough so that you can insert the extension cord of a hot plate.

Cut a 7-inch diameter hole in the center of the floor of the old oven so that the oven compartment has a link to the drawer and smoke can easily rise to the racks.

Create a chimney by placing a 7-inch diameter metal duct into the hole. This will keep drippings from food off of your hot plate.

Place your oven smoker in a solid and dry location.

Situate the hot plate in the drawer, centered underneath the chimney and thread the power cord through the hole that you drilled in the center front of the drawer. Place a cast iron pan filled with your preferred woodchips on the hot plate and you are ready to cook.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2086229_make...#ixzz2p98JaKVN
Old 01-01-2014, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Instructions

Find an old electric oven that has all of its racks. For easy cleaning and assembly, look for an oven with a large bottom drawer. Don't worry about electrical function, burners or knobs, because you don't need an oven that works.

Remove the burners and burner covers, top of the oven with all of the knobs and electric parts, so that only an empty skeleton of an electric oven remains.

Drill a hole in the center front of the large drawer towards the bottom. You want the hole to be large enough so that you can insert the extension cord of a hot plate.

Cut a 7-inch diameter hole in the center of the floor of the old oven so that the oven compartment has a link to the drawer and smoke can easily rise to the racks.

Create a chimney by placing a 7-inch diameter metal duct into the hole. This will keep drippings from food off of your hot plate.

Place your oven smoker in a solid and dry location.

Situate the hot plate in the drawer, centered underneath the chimney and thread the power cord through the hole that you drilled in the center front of the drawer. Place a cast iron pan filled with your preferred woodchips on the hot plate and you are ready to cook.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2086229_make...#ixzz2p98JaKVN

Happy new year fishmom :-)
Old 01-01-2014, 04:05 AM

Fishingmom, damn auto correct. Not sure why fishmom is in my autocorrect lol
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 AM

see if top burner warms up if so cut hole in bottom wire to burner switch my smoker works goodthis way
Old 01-01-2014, 09:48 AM

We will be making one soon out of a gas stove, converted to propane. We won't use the stove housing but the burners, regulater, thermocoupler, ect. Our current one is an old BBQ element put into a keg cooler. Just added an exhaust on top with a damper and an air intake on the bottom.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis wood View Post
see if top burner warms up if so cut hole in bottom wire to burner switch my smoker works goodthis way
I don't understand what you are saying. If the top burner in the oven works cut a hole in the wire to the switch? I might be a bit slow, I don't understand what you mean.