Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 PM

Default I hate draw day

So I check my draws last night awhile after they are released and to no surprise I haven't drawn a thing, which is alright I suppose, wasn't expecting to anyways. I was fine until this morning when I learn about two friends who have drawn the exact tag I submitted, same wmu and everything but with less priority. I'm done with trying to figure out the system, can anyone else tell me how this happens.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Did you apply alone? Did you apply for the same draw code, and for the exact same draw choice(wmu or season)? In almost every instance, the person complaining simply doesn't understand the system.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Did you apply alone? Did you apply for the same draw code, and for the exact same draw choice(wmu or season)? In almost every instance, the person complaining simply doesn't understand the system.
Yup everything the same and yes alone, been at it awhile now I think I understand how to put my draws in bud but thanks.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:55 PM

If what you say is true and everyone is applying the same way for the same thing at the same location, then It's impossible for someone with a lower priority than you to get drawn and got you not to. There's more to this than what you're saying bud.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selleck stache View Post
So I check my draws last night awhile after they are released and to no surprise I haven't drawn a thing, which is alright I suppose, wasn't expecting to anyways. I was fine until this morning when I learn about two friends who have drawn the exact tag I submitted, same wmu and everything but with less priority. I'm done with trying to figure out the system, can anyone else tell me how this happens.
Is it possible that they had a higher priority than you to start with? Maybe they tried for a few years in a different zone, gave up, looked at the numbers and picked the same zone that you did. A priority number does not stay with a particular zone choice but stays with the draw code (for example: draw code 13 is Antlered Mule Deer). I used to apply for MB in 160, 999'd a couple of years, put in for my home zone this year and got drawn.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
If this is true then there are two possible scenarios:

1. The system made a mistake. If so, present them with the facts and ask for either a refund, a tag or an explanation.

2. The application was completed incorrectly.

If 2. then find out where you went wrong, and pull some tags in 2015.

Good luck !!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Yup everything the same and yes alone, been at it awhile now I think I understand how to put my draws in bud but thanks.
Did you actually look at your friends draw applications online, and compare them to yours, to verify that the draw code, the wmu/season code, and the priority for that draw code were identical to yours?

I have heard several people complain in recent years, and in every case, there was no mistake made, the people that were drawn, either applied for a different draw code, or a different wmu/season, or they actually had at least as much priority for the specific draw code, or the person complaining applied with other people that resulted in a lower priority for the group.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:02 AM

The only mistake I've seen is the draw system allowed me to apply in 438 for sheep even tho I can't hunt sheep this year?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
To clarify things, would you mind posting what draw you put in for, WMU, season, and your priority, and also the same info for your friends? Would help us understand what is going on and perhaps correct some misunderstandings.

As mentioned earlier, we get some situations like this cited every year. I think there is confusion sometimes in what exactly is being drawn for. Just yesterday a fellow on another thread claimed he had not been drawn for something when he had a very high priority. I sort of called him on it as I had just been drawn with a priority lower than his. He flipped out on me and then demanded that the mods cancel his membership in the forum. LOL

Anyway, if you really did have a higher priority in exactly the same draw with all the same choices, a call to ESRD seems in order. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:31 AM
Gone Hunting

The priority system should be tossed. It should be a random draw. Isn't that what a draw is?

WAIT? WHAT?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-17-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
The priority system should be tossed. It should be a random draw.
Interesting idea. But ultimately incorrect. Is "Yes Dear" allowing you to offer your own opinions again? Have to speak to that lady.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
The only mistake I've seen is the draw system allowed me to apply in 438 for sheep even tho I can't hunt sheep this year?
Did you get the draw?

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-17-2014, 10:11 AM

Nope but it did say draw unsuccessful and if I did I probably wouldn't tell anyone haha
Old 07-17-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledder1 View Post
If what you say is true and everyone is applying the same way for the same thing at the same location, then It's impossible for someone with a lower priority than you to get drawn and got you not to. There's more to this than what you're saying bud.
Says who? System does mess up. 8 yrs ago I was a P3 for moose, so the next year I was a 0. Called and they told me the girl in the system canceled it by mistake. With a big sorry and no fix. Need less to say I applied as a P9 this year with no success. Should be a P13.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:56 AM

I know that mistakes do happen. But they are fairly rare. Call in.

If I had priority lost things would go as far as they had to to get corrected. There is no way I would roll over on that one.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Interesting idea. But ultimately incorrect. Is "Yes Dear" allowing you to offer your own opinions again? Have to speak to that lady.
Sorry she's not here. I'll pass the message along though. What is it again?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-17-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
The Minister's tag and WMU 438 November draws are except from the 1 year penalty box rule.

Spruce
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
done with trying to figure out the system, can anyone else tell me how this happens.
Quote:
been at it awhile now I think I understand how to put my draws in bud but thanks.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
The Minister's tag and WMU 438 November draws are except from the 1 year penalty box rule.

Spruce
Minister's tag, yes. 438, no.

It specifically states in the 438 Draw section that if you killed a trophy sheep in 2013, you cannot Purchase a trophy sheep licence in 2014.

For the other T. sheep draws, you can only apply 999 the year after killing a ram.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-17-2014, 01:45 PM

A buddy of mine went into this draw season with a priority 9 for turkey and didn't get drawn. For the life of us we can't figure out what is going on cause guys are getting the tag at a priority 7. I'm not sure how or why this is happening but he thought he was a sure thing for the last two years.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:11 PM

Well I didn't get camp wainwrite deer in the last season with a 2 priority. But I just chalked that up to more guys applying this year. Before it was a shoe in with a 2.
But oh well. Mistakes happen but like said above most is by the user not the system.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I know that mistakes do happen. But they are fairly rare. Call in.

If I had priority lost things would go as far as they had to to get corrected. There is no way I would roll over on that one.
I did call in, should have been cut and dry as they seen what happen. Never rolled over on it, but there wasn't much I could do if they weren't fixing it. I was just trying to make a point that mistake happen in this system.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
A buddy of mine went into this draw season with a priority 9 for turkey and didn't get drawn. For the life of us we can't figure out what is going on cause guys are getting the tag at a priority 7. I'm not sure how or why this is happening but he thought he was a sure thing for the last two years.
I would for sure be making phone calls on that....did he apply alone?

LC
Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh View Post
I did call in, should have been cut and dry as they seen what happen. Never rolled over on it, but there wasn't much I could do if they weren't fixing it. I was just trying to make a point that mistake happen in this system.
A mistaken entry by a human is certainly possible, but if the priority and draw code, and wmu/season codes are correct, the computer should not mess up.And if those items are correct on the site, it would be proof that an error occured.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I would for sure be making phone calls on that....did he apply alone?

LC
Yes, he always has. I plan on going with him as more company but won't be hunting.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:51 PM

The draw was for wmu 308, bull moose tag and im quite certain of the friends priority we have been racing for the draw for awhile now, he got it with a priority 9 while I am currently on 10 now. To be honest im not too upset, I wasnt exactly banking on it this year anyhow didn't expect to get it for atleast a couple years. I was pretty pi**ed at the time but have cooled down, good luck to him hope he gets it!
Ps this did happen to another friend of mine a couple years back as well.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:54 PM

Reading some of the stuff here I will be making a call though, verifying everything etc. And just see what they have to see for curiosity sake. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
he got it with a priority 9 while I am currently on 10 now.
If you are currently a P10, then you were a P9 going in to the draw, which is what your friend drew his tag with. In other words, you and your friend had the same priority going into the draw.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you are currently a P10, then you were a P9 going in to the draw, which is what your friend drew his tag with. In other words, you and your friend had the same priority going into the draw.
Exactly....and likely not all of the P9 were picked.

LC
Old 07-17-2014, 11:26 PM

if it makes you feel any better I missed out on my Buffalo Super Tag and I highly doubt any of my other draws will go through since I had a better chance on the one I definitely didn't get.... Oh well gives you something to look forward to next year!