Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 PM

Default Making my own target

I was thinking of making my own target using that Great Stuff expanding foam. I think one can would fill a decent sized box. Any thoughts or other suggestions?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 PM

I hear it works good, just expensive.

I straped 100 cardboard boxes (flattened) together this year ...very heavy but works.

Recently I raided a dumpster at the Leduc Rec center for some 6 inch thich styrofoam ... prototyped that and it worked. My plan with 3 layers criss crossed, all ducked tape together. That'll be a good one to carry around in the truck. That one cost $3.

Good luck!

Last edited by BigRackLover; 09-22-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM

A friend of mine had a bad experience with that foam. He wasn't making a target though. Just underestimated how large a can of this stuff gets. He was trying to seal up some rust holes in an old pickup. In the Am his steering wheel and the inside of both doors were sealed shut!!

I highly recommend you make the target outside!!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 PM

Default Stryofoam for target

The best stuff is Ethafoam. Stryofoam (Expanded Polystryene) is hard to pull your arrows out of. The theory here is on impact the arrows friction going in heats up enough to melt the PS (Polystryene) around the shaft, almost gluing itself to it. Ethafoam, being blown polytheylene, has a higher melting point and doesn't melt. The spray foam is Urethane Foam and I have seen it used in plastic 45 gal barrels and then the barrels cut into three sections and you shoot into the open ends. Old ceiling tiles laid flat and held together by a frame work pretty good as well. A Gunny sac (Burlap sac, potatoe sac) stuffed full of Safeway bags is good for field points and is very easy to carry around. Did you want this for broadheads, at home, or to carry around?
Old 09-23-2009, 07:00 PM

Eventually I need both, but I would like to use broadheads for now. Home will do for now. Just a double check before I venture out each time. Carrying around not necessary. Just had a baby so I am limited to day trips this year.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:49 PM

I've used old ceilling tiles, run ready rod through the tiles then used 1x4s (pallet boards)and bolt tight. Alot of the ranges use the tiles for indoor backstops.
Just don't get wet, they soak up alot of water then mould.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 PM

Hi i use a burlap bag filled with shrink wrap, the plastic wrap skids are wrapped with. I then made a stand from inch and a half plastic pipe so it hangs. Will stop broadheads at any speed and cheap.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:09 PM

Smile

A good homemade target I picked up from a guy at my archery club is to go to the local hardware store and pick up a section of foam insulation (pink or light blue). They come in 2" thick by 2' wide by 8' long. Cut the insulation in 2'X2' squares, you'll get 4 of these. Take a roll off duct tape and tape them together on the outside and one strip on both sides and top and bottom. You'll basically have a cube. Then take your roll of duct tape and a can of black spray paint and use the center of the roll as a stencil to put black target dots on your cube. I do 5 dots on one side and 4 on the other stagered so when one side gets shot out i can flip it and use the other side. I use this for broad heads and i've been shooting the same cube for over a month, twice a week and it still has lots of life left. Hope this helps.

Last edited by canadianbigbuck; 09-23-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:20 PM

a box of rags from an industrial supply store works darn good in a pinch too.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 PM

the carboard works but is really heavy, I also stuffed a burlap sack with old jeans and it worked well, both were free.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 AM

I know you're looking for home made solutions but i wouldn't hesitate to recomend this for broadhead use:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...003000_450-3-3

I've tried the spray foam in a box and I honestly could buy the above for less than it would have cost to fill a 2' X 2' box with spray foam our of a spray can.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickclee View Post
Hi i use a burlap bag filled with shrink wrap, the plastic wrap skids are wrapped with. I then made a stand from inch and a half plastic pipe so it hangs. Will stop broadheads at any speed and cheap.

I use something similar and it works perfect. The only difference with mine is I wrapped a couple old sheets in shrink wrap first for more stopping power then packed the wrapping all around it about 4 inches thick. Works great.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam3 View Post
The best stuff is Ethafoam. Stryofoam (Expanded Polystryene) is hard to pull your arrows out of. The theory here is on impact the arrows friction going in heats up enough to melt the PS (Polystryene) around the shaft, almost gluing itself to it. Ethafoam, being blown polytheylene, has a higher melting point and doesn't melt. The spray foam is Urethane Foam and I have seen it used in plastic 45 gal barrels and then the barrels cut into three sections and you shoot into the open ends. Old ceiling tiles laid flat and held together by a frame work pretty good as well. A Gunny sac (Burlap sac, potatoe sac) stuffed full of Safeway bags is good for field points and is very easy to carry around. Did you want this for broadheads, at home, or to carry around?

I agree. I have a half dozen of them and they last forever. Even with broadheads and 8 guys shooting them.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 PM

I just made one out of a 3 foot by 3 foot cardboard box. Putting cardboard, a sleeping bag and just some grocery bags and just shot it at 20 and it works great. Didn't cost me a cent.