Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2014, 01:09 PM

Default Help needed.. Forgotten to much over time

Step 1 get boaters licence... Did not need this last time, nor was it place when I last ran my 7.5 hp merc
Step 2 stock up boat with required gear.... My 14' boat came with 15hp. Johnson motor, tank, 2 paddled and anchor .... And the plug was there also...So I need life jackets ... May be longer anchor rope, bailing bucket

I know I want to test the motor in a barrel before pushing off the dock (!!!!!) just incase I see someone drinking their morning coffee sitting in a lawn chair watching us newbie at the boat launch ... My question is what ratio of oil and fuel would I use on my 1985 Johnson 15hp motor?

Thanks for help. I am looking forward to having as much fun with my 11 year old son as my father had with me.... Except for when the 3 of us crossed lines while trolling , or when the anchor line was not tied to the boat , or when ... Yea it was all fun and memories were made

Thanks
Old 05-17-2014, 02:49 PM

That motor would be a 50:1 mix. Make sure your impeller is not deformed from sitting, barrel test it. Good luck out there.
Old 05-17-2014, 03:17 PM

1. One (1) lifejacket or PFD for each person on board
2. One (1) buoyant heaving line at least 15 m (49’3”) long
3. *One (1) reboarding device
if boat is equipped with a motor:
4. One (1) watertight flashlight OR
Three (3) flares of Type A, B or C
5. One (1) manual propelling device
OR
One (1) anchor and at least 15 m (49’3”) of cable, rope or chain in any combination
6. One (1) bailer or manual bilge pump
7. One (1) sound-signalling device or appliance
8. **Navigation lights
9. ***One (1) magnetic compass

* Only required if the vertical height that must be climbed to reboard the boat from the water is over 0.5 m (1’8”).
** Only required if the boat is operated after sunset, before sunrise or in periods of restricted visibility (fog,
falling snow, etc.).
*** Not required if the boat is 8 m (26’3”) or less and operated within sight of navigation marks.