Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 PM

Default Best Fly rod under $200

Wanting to get back into flyfishing after a 20 year layoff. Im looking to get a rod, reel and line for under $400. I will fishing mostly in the mountains west of Calgary, in streams and lakes. What I was wondering is what is the best fly rod for around $200 ? I was thinking of getting a 4 piece 4 weight. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Wanting to get back into flyfishing after a 20 year layoff. Im looking to get a rod, reel and line for under $400. I will fishing mostly in the mountains west of Calgary, in streams and lakes. What I was wondering is what is the best fly rod for around $200 ? I was thinking of getting a 4 piece 4 weight. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Temple fork outfitters, great rod, quality and price.

Second choice would be Redington

Last edited by Abby87; 03-23-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 PM

TFO or St.Croix
Old 03-23-2012, 08:31 PM

Winston passport 8'6" 4 wt 4pc rod is definitely worth taking out for a test cast.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
What I was wondering is what is the best fly rod for around $200 ? I was thinking of getting a 4 piece 4 weight. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Check this out.

http://templeforkoutfitters.ca/fly-r...kreh-signature

TFO has their 4 piece signature series on quite a good sale. I guess they're probably phasing them out.

Good rod for that price. If you can justify a bit more, the TFO BVK really is a huge step up.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
Check this out.

http://templeforkoutfitters.ca/fly-r...kreh-signature

TFO has their 4 piece signature series on quite a good sale. I guess they're probably phasing them out.

Good rod for that price. If you can justify a bit more, the TFO BVK really is a huge step up.
The BVK is a beauty, I love it
Old 03-23-2012, 08:41 PM

A lot of choices in that price range, especially if you look at preowned. 2 pieces of advice... 1) make sure the rod you choose is a med/fast action (best for the type of fishing you'll be doing), 2) go to a dedicated fly shop and cast a bunch of rods!! What works best for one person may not be best for another!

If you are going to be hiking in , the redington ct (classic trout) comes in a 6 piece and are a great value (I have a 7'6" 3 wt that I use for small stream stuff. I'm also getting a 9' 4 wt 6 piece Dan craft built as my goto backpacking rod).
Old 03-23-2012, 09:06 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. This is awesome place to get help. Where is the best shop in Calgary with rods in this price range, and knowledge salespeople ?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Fishtales, Bowrivertroutfitters or Country Pleasures. They all should have rods in that price range or if you go with a more expensive brand you can try and consider/try one of them and then look at something that is preowned. The benefit of going to a dedicated fly shop is the knowledge of the staff and the ability to cast many rods to compare. The one crux is the current stock they have on hand. But at least you will have a good basis to compare.

Last edited by ÜberFly; 03-23-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice guys. This is awesome place to get help. Where is the best shop in Calgary with rods in this price range, and knowledge salespeople ?
Try Bowriver Troutfitters like ÜberFly mentioned. Nothing against the other stores, but in addition to the Winston Passport and the TFO BVK, Troutfitters carries Echo brand rods. Really nice rods for the cash.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 PM

Anyone try peiroway? I got a 3 weight for under 200 this winter. Need a reel but I like the rod a lot!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 PM

St. Croix Imperial. Should be able to find it at South Bow fly shop in dewinton 5 minutes south of calgary
Old 03-24-2012, 07:54 AM

Thanks for all the help. I'm working up in GP right now and i'll be back in Calgary next week, checking out the fly shops. Sounds like a lot guys like the TFO's. Does anyone have recommendations for a good reel under $100 ?
Old 03-24-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Pieroway. www.pierowayrods.com
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Take a look at the reddington pursuit very nice rod and they run around 110 bucks.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 03-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Default St. Croix

IMHO the St. Croix Imperial line takes the best $200 rod honours hands down.

They used to be made in the USA and not in Asia, like all the rest.
Can't say for sure if this is still the case, but a bit of research on their website will make this clear. I know their lower end rods are now made in Mexico, using tooling from their Wisconson plant.

I have several that are my go-to daily use rods, especially for river fishing, where I don't want to risk tripping over my Winston or Powell. To be honest, I would have a hard time justifying a high end rod over the Imperial based on casting performance!

Good luck with this,

Bruce
Old 03-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the help. I'm working up in GP right now and i'll be back in Calgary next week, checking out the fly shops. Sounds like a lot guys like the TFO's. Does anyone have recommendations for a good reel under $100 ?
A really good reel for the money would be the TFO MayFly/Midge. I believe they are 70 $$$, they come with a spare spool and are very durable.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:00 PM

One more vote for Redington. With a Life time warranty on most of their rods you can't beat the price. I have a couple of Red Fly 2's and love the action on them.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:10 PM

TFO, Redington, St Croix, Pieroway, Winston or Echo. Sometimes you get more answers than you want. If you go to a flyfishing shop of flyfishing department at one of the outdoor stores with a $200 budget, they will set you up with a good rod. $400 for rod, reel, case, line will get you something really good. Buy from the store/person who you think know their stuff and you'll be happy.

P.S. Next to the rod, line is most important. Actually more important to get a good line than a reel.

Have fun. Enjoy.

Last edited by tacklerunner; 03-25-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24/7 fishing View Post
A really good reel for the money would be the TFO MayFly/Midge. I believe they are 70 $$$, they come with a spare spool and are very durable.
Do you know who would sell this reel? I don't see it in the product list for Cabelas, WSS, FH... maybe I'm missing it?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post
Do you know who would sell this reel? I don't see it in the product list for Cabelas, WSS, FH... maybe I'm missing it?
Yes Fish Tales Fly shop in Calgary. Judging by the fact that you looked at cabela's you must be from up North.

Here is a link to their pagehttp://www.fishtalesflyshop.com/
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24/7 fishing View Post
Yes Fish Tales Fly shop in Calgary. Judging by the fact that you looked at cabela's you must be from up North.

Here is a link to their pagehttp://www.fishtalesflyshop.com/
Thanks, couldn't find a product list on their site though.

Little far to drive for a $70 reel, any Edmonton region suggestions?

Note: That is one crowded website. Not sure if there is anyone from "fish tales" on this forum, but as a first time viewer the page looks crowded and unorganized, just a comment
Old 03-26-2012, 01:34 AM

Another for the Redington CT. 6wt fishes very nice.

On the other side, you can pick up a modern Eagle Claw Featherlight (6.5', 7', or 8') glass rod for under 50 bucks (that would likely include any shipping if you cannot find one close by. See if Wholesale could bring one in for you.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoDerrick View Post
At one point you could have bought it from the Canadian TFO site:

http://templeforkoutfitters.ca/index...rd1=&keyword2=

Looks like the reel might be discontinued.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby87 View Post
The BVK is a beauty, I love it
I think people have to not only shout out rods they like, but consider the weight and type of fishing the OP wants to do. The above suggestion is a perfect case in point, IMHO.

I've been scouting the BVK as well, but in an 8 weight for streamers on big water and the odd salt water trip. It looks great for that. It's a fast action rod well suited to throwing heavier flies and fighting wind. But I would think that in a 4 weight used on smaller streams you would want something more in the medium or medium fast range for softer presentations, etc.

And you HAVE to go to a shop or shops that have a good selection of rods and will let you take them outside to cast. Don't buy a rod without casting it!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 PM

Fenwick HMX.