Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2013, 02:36 PM

Default Teach me about fishing for whitefish…

My smoker is telling me it needs whitefish. I must comply.

I know there are a few lakes around Edmonton that have are good for fishing for whitefish.

In the past I have been very successful and catching large Walleye’s and Pike. I have not ventured into to the whitefish world yet.

For the whitefish people out there…

1) What should I be looking for when targeting the whitefish. Ie) Structure, depth, water temp, etc. I have a depth finder so I am keen on what to look for with other species.
2) What set up and bait do you recommend?
3) Any preferred locations I should go to. Ie) Pigeon lake, Lac St.Anne, etc. I will check the regs on the lakes. You can pm me these locations if you like. I am not looking for anyone’s honey hole, just a decent place to start with and I can find my own honey hole.

Thanks in advance,
Old 07-15-2013, 04:43 PM

Newb .. there are lots of ways to catch Lake Whitefish in summer just have to learn your target lake .. just google Fishing Lake Whitefish in summer and you will read lots of differn,t ways then you have to learn a lake(one on bottom of post)

here is my boy's and myself this year on Fly Rods

here is some we caught this spring/summer

David
http://www.vermilionbaylodge.com/ont...h-fishing.html
Old 07-15-2013, 10:31 PM

Thank you for the information David!

Those are some nice whitefish you caught.

I did google search a bit however I wanted to tap into the knowledge base of AO.

Thank you for the link, I found it most helpful. I've looked into the spinners and three way swivels. I'll be making a few purchases before I head out. I've also researched and watched a few videos of filleting the whitefish. I want to do it properly and efficiently!

Now I just need to pick a lake, load the boat and head out!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM

I caught my first whitefish on the weekend at Travers Reservoir. http://i.imgur.com/jXRtHfp.jpg - fish on the bottom.

Caught him at the Little Bow Campground docks. Used a regular spoon. Cast it out, let it sink down as far as it could go, slowly reeled in and jerked the rod up every now and then. Voila, whitefish
Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackmacs View Post
I caught my first whitefish on the weekend at Travers Reservoir. http://i.imgur.com/jXRtHfp.jpg - fish on the bottom.

Caught him at the Little Bow Campground docks. Used a regular spoon. Cast it out, let it sink down as far as it could go, slowly reeled in and jerked the rod up every now and then. Voila, whitefish
Where did you catch the bow from?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM

I made a quick stop at Cabellas today.

I picked up:
2 x 1/4, 3/8 ounce white Jigs
2 X 1/4, 3/8 ounce yellow jigs.
1 bag of 2 & 3 inch yellow and white twister tail jigs.
1x mepps zero agilia spinner
1x blue fox zero spinner
1x blue fox zero spinner glow skirt and bell
1x rapala flat-rap FLR-6

And a few packages of 3 way spinners.

Next up, choosing my lake, date and times!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:30 PM

Default If they are schooling on top...

Sometimes, in summer, mostly August, they will be schooling on the top in shallow flats. If you are "spinning", cast a very small (1/32 or 1/16 oz.) dark green jig head and tail in front of the school, on very light mono. I think they mistake it for a very fat "plankton", but, whatever, it works. Quite a fight, because you can't "horse" a fish with such a soft mouth.
I remember laughing my a__ off at some people who had observed the schools of large whites at lake x and were casting large spoons/cranks out in front of them, while we were landing some 5-6 pounders on our very light tackle. Haven't had a chance to try it again, lately, but it was a lot of fun. And, they are delicious.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedlap View Post
Sometimes, in summer, mostly August, they will be schooling on the top in shallow flats. If you are "spinning", cast a very small (1/32 or 1/16 oz.) dark green jig head and tail in front of the school, on very light mono. I think they mistake it for a very fat "plankton", but, whatever, it works. Quite a fight, because you can't "horse" a fish with such a soft mouth.
I remember laughing my a__ off at some people who had observed the schools of large whites at lake x and were casting large spoons/cranks out in front of them, while we were landing some 5-6 pounders on our very light tackle. Haven't had a chance to try it again, lately, but it was a lot of fun. And, they are delicious.
Right on! Thanks for the heads up! I will add some silver spoons and also dark green jig head and body with light mono. I am going to give it a try with the different "hardware" I picked up. That's why it's called fishing and not catching.

I have checked the Regs at Lac St. Anne and also the approx sizes of whitefish.. Keep in mind I do not know how long ago this depth chart was updated. It could be years or a few decades so I am not holding my breath on any giant ones. Since I am very familliar with that lake I will be checking out a few locations I have pre picked out in deeper water (for summer). I have gathered this information from my depth charts.

It seems that best time to go is first thing in the morning around sunrise is when the fish will be active. Any thoughts on the evening around sunset? I know the walleye go crazy around that time, same with stormy weather and low light conditions.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 AM

Alright,

So after an unexpected repair on my truck and waiting for parts to arrive I am back in the game...

I plan to take my boat out to Lac St. Anne this weekend, use my new found knowledge and go for some whitefish.

It's tough being down 2 weekends with out fishing...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:03 PM

here is a post on summer time lake Whitefish

Food for Thought
David
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=145895
Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
here is a post on summer time lake Whitefish

Food for Thought
David
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=145895
Thanks David,

There is some great information there. Everytime I see the whitefish you catch I am salivating!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:56 PM

I've never caught whites at ste Anne. You should contact speckle and drive the extra 1.5 hours and get into what he's on.

If you do hit ste Anne, good luck, I hope you find them.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I've never caught whites at ste Anne. You should contact speckle and drive the extra 1.5 hours and get into what he's on.

If you do hit ste Anne, good luck, I hope you find them.
Thank you!

I catch and release a boat load of nice sized walleyes (20.0 to 21.75 inches) at lac St. Anne every time I go out. I hear there are nice sized whites there.

I will also need to check out pigeon one early AM and go for whites.

I am on a quest to catch a few whites and eat them this year.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:55 PM

I know up at Bischto the evening are the time to fly fish for whites the first few weeks of the season. Some places the water is rippling in the wind from all the risers. One year a member of our group caught one on a Blue Fox spinner, size #3 in the rainbow trout pattern iirc. I found that just as odd as the burbot I caught on a crank bait there this year.

I too wish to learn the ways of whitefish. Good info on those links.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-31-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
I know up at Bischto the evening are the time to fly fish for whites the first few weeks of the season. Some places the water is rippling in the wind from all the risers. One year a member of our group caught one on a Blue Fox spinner, size #3 in the rainbow trout pattern iirc. I found that just as odd as the burbot I caught on a crank bait there this year.

I too wish to learn the ways of whitefish. Good info on those links.
Thank you,

I will be happy to pass along my successes and failures as I am learning.

I feel I have a good starting point right now. I just need to get out on the water and execute the strategies.

I have never fly fished before. I have always wanted to learn though. I may put it on my next item to learn in the fall or next year.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
Thank you,

I will be happy to pass along my successes and failures as I am learning.

I feel I have a good starting point right now. I just need to get out on the water and execute the strategies.

I have never fly fished before. I have always wanted to learn though. I may put it on my next item to learn in the fall or next year.
I've only caught fish 'trolling' with my fly rod. The feel of a fish on those rods is like no other and I'd like to catch more. I think I have casting mechanics down enough to not embarrass myself too much, though laying the line out at the end of my cast has frustrated me to no end when attempting it. I need someone to teach me the line/leader stuff though, that's where my problems come from I'm pretty sure. I haven't asked on here for help with it, simply because I learn better from seeing and doing then I do from reading with certain things.

I'd love to hear about your whitefish quest, and when I'm able to target them myself I'll definitely be sharing as well. Not sure I'll be able to target them til the fall since I'm a bank maggot without a boat.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
I've only caught fish 'trolling' with my fly rod. The feel of a fish on those rods is like no other and I'd like to catch more. I think I have casting mechanics down enough to not embarrass myself too much, though laying the line out at the end of my cast has frustrated me to no end when attempting it. I need someone to teach me the line/leader stuff though, that's where my problems come from I'm pretty sure. I haven't asked on here for help with it, simply because I learn better from seeing and doing then I do from reading with certain things.

I'd love to hear about your whitefish quest, and when I'm able to target them myself I'll definitely be sharing as well. Not sure I'll be able to target them til the fall since I'm a bank maggot without a boat.
I usually catch mine anchored and jigging. I haven’t trolled in a while. I learn by reading, watching and doing. I have a fairly good depth finder with GPS and have a few depth charts handy. I haven’t purchased the nav upgrade yet for my depth finder.

As mentioned in a few posts above I have picked up some hardware for experimenting with. I’ve even gone as far as researching how to filet them properly. Hahahah

Once I figure out a few spots and tricks I can take you out in my boat. I’ve got a 14 foot extra wide aluminum powered with a new 20HP Tohatsu.

From my understanding the whitefish are indigenous to Alberta and there is really no concern about overfishing them at this point so there is hope for us.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:35 AM

Alright.. So I am going early Monday morning to Pigeon lake. I am going to check out Mulhurst Bay. According to some of the threads and information here, early mornings is the best time to go.

Tonight I am going to Lac St. Anne with my daughter to catch walleye for a few hours. I am hoping she breaks her 1st walleye record of 20.5 inches she caught a few weeks back.

I will try my whitefish set up to get a feel for it. Who knows, maybe I will boat one, but I'm more concerned about her having a great time tonight.