Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Expensive rods vs Ugly Sticks

There has been much debate about the expensive rods vs ugly sticks that has spilled over into many threads.

This thread is for the grand debate of Expensive Rods vs Ugly sticks.

Lets hear your opinion..

Which is better and why?
Old 08-20-2013, 12:59 PM

Just my humble opinion.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:09 PM

Same feces different location.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM

Who cares, really? Use what's best for your situation. Whether it's how much you can afford to spend on gear or how much you're fishing or what you're fishing for, find a rod that fits your situation.

Personally, I don't get out fishing that much in the summer (maybe 3 or 4 times) so I don't see the need to have anything more than $30-50 rod and similar priced reel...

I have a cherrywood berkley rod and mitchell reel and I can use it, and have used it, to fish for everything in Alberta except sturgeon. Now, if I was fishing 3 or 4 times a week or fishing in tournaments every weekend, then I could justify having more expensive gear that is specialized to fish for certain species. But right now, what I have does the trick and I don't need to spend $200 on a fishing rod....

With that said, if people prefer an ugly stick rod, who in the hell am I (or is anyone for that matter) to tell them they need to spend another $100 to get themselves a "real" rod...
Old 08-20-2013, 01:28 PM

Alright….

To add some actual content here…

Until last year I had never heard of the ugly stick. It had come highly recommended amongst a few anglers I know.

My Costco special was more than adequate and boating 15+ lb pike. It did feel a little “light” but it did the job.

I had picked up an Ugly stick combo as a spare a few months ago from the Fishin’ Hole. After lending out my Costco special to my brother I had a chance to use the ugly stick.

I have found the feel of the Ugly Stick to be more than adequate for also landing numerous decent sized walleye and large pike. The Ugly Stick does not have as much bend when I have a large fish on the line.

I have found both rods to have decent feel and it is easy to detect bites on the line. Every time I head out I have no problem locating and boating a plethora of walleye and pike. Whitefish.. well that is a different story.

I have not ventured into the “expensive” rods yet as I do not feel it will help my catch rate.

I have no issues picking up a more expensive rod for my adventures, but convince me why a $200.00 or $300.00 rod is superior than what I have.

I get out in the boat about 2 times a week..
Old 08-20-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I have not ventured into the “expensive” rods yet as I do not feel it will help my catch rate.
Far too many people have an opinion on this subject, and often a strong one at that, but have no real world experience to base that opinion on.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Far too many people have an opinion on this subject, and often a strong one at that, but have no real world experience to base that opinion on.
How can too many people have an opinion on something? Almost everyone has an opinion on most things.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post

I have a cherrywood berkley rod and mitchell reel and I can use it, and have used it, to fish for everything in Alberta except sturgeon.

My first big Geon (4feet) was on a cherrywood, it can be done its just far from ideal. Had to change the top guide after that battle though. Cheap rod and cheap guides. Still works. Just doesn't get used anymore.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
There has been much debate about the expensive rods vs ugly sticks that has spilled over into many threads.

This thread is for the grand debate of Expensive Rods vs Ugly sticks.

Lets hear your opinion..

Which is better and why?
Ug Stix have there purpose. They are very strong, reliable, and cheap. Not very sensitive. Plenty of better rods out there for sensitivity. You get what you pay for. There's a ton of rods out there, all suited for different types of fishn. Fly rods are better than em alljus kidn...or am I
Old 08-20-2013, 02:13 PM

I would just always buy the cheapest rod with the longest handle, so when I'd use bait on a rig, I could just stuff the rod into the mud and not worry if I wrecked it.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:20 PM

Many of my best catches of Bow River browns and Rainbows came from my $20 Zebco telescopic rod/reel combo, it lasted at least 4 years until a monster rainbow came along and broke the tip and crushed my lure. (but I still landed it).
Old 08-20-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky7 View Post
How can too many people have an opinion on something? Almost everyone has an opinion on most things.
The problem isn't with people having an opinion, it's with too few people having an informed opinion based on actual knowledge or experience.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:25 PM

A 2005 chevy cavalier will work as an affordable off road vehicle but may not be the best tool available for the job.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Brown View Post
A 2005 chevy cavalier will work as an affordable off road vehicle but may not be the best tool available for the job.
you would be surprised some of the places I got into with my 99 probably why you had to kick the passenger door shut

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 PM

The simple reality is an ugly stick is old technology with a parabolic action - so, in other words, there is no variation in action available. Buy a mid market to high end rod it will be rated for power and action (medium power, fast action).

That's why, on less expensive rods, like the the ugly stick, it does not indicate action.

The ugly sticks are simply parabolic (evenly loaded action based on the diameter along the length of the rod). Probably comparable closes to a "slow action" rod.

By that definition, it's not the best technology for many and most applications. Most applications require the speed of the action to be moderate to fast.

Secondly, the material used, which is less expensive, although tough as heck, simply does not translate vibration (sensitivity) well. So, again, in most applications, you want a sensitive rod to feel a soft pickup from a fish.

If your budget allows it, get a rod with better performance characteristics best suited to the way you fish.

Before I get blasted here ........ to clarify ............ I agree you can catch 100's of fish on the ugly stick just fine ........ but you can also cross the country driving a bicycle but a car is a better tool.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:12 PM

Ugly sticks are much better*

*At being used as tent poles.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:53 PM

Friends don't let friends fish with an ugly stick.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-20-2013, 10:10 PM

Ugly sticks are great pike rods, mine still horsing in Jacks just like the day i first got it.

As for expensive rods you get what you pay for... And your wallet takes the beating.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:18 AM
Banned

Did we really need a new seperate thread for this topic?
Considering it was beaten to death in the other one.

One nice thing about consumerism is we have CHOICES...what ever one wants one can get

One can spend as little or as much as one wants to.

You will find those that agree with you and you will find those that do not about which products are better than the other.

Lets put this to rest already and move onto the next argument.

See you all there.

Last edited by ETOWNCANUCK; 08-21-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 AM

So the ugly stick is to the fishing section, what the savage axis is to the gun and ammo section.

Can you imagine still using a bamboo pool with a length of line on it lol
Old 08-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Banned

So if I trade in my Ugly Stik for a St Croix will I catch more fish or just have more fun catching them?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The simple reality is an ugly stick is old technology with a parabolic action - so, in other words, there is no variation in action available. Buy a mid market to high end rod it will be rated for power and action (medium power, fast action).

That's why, on less expensive rods, like the the ugly stick, it does not indicate action.

The ugly sticks are simply parabolic (evenly loaded action based on the diameter along the length of the rod). Probably comparable closes to a "slow action" rod.

By that definition, it's not the best technology for many and most applications. Most applications require the speed of the action to be moderate to fast.

Secondly, the material used, which is less expensive, although tough as heck, simply does not translate vibration (sensitivity) well. So, again, in most applications, you want a sensitive rod to feel a soft pickup from a fish.

If your budget allows it, get a rod with better performance characteristics best suited to the way you fish.

Before I get blasted here ........ to clarify ............ I agree you can catch 100's of fish on the ugly stick just fine ........ but you can also cross the country driving a bicycle but a car is a better tool.
Thank you!

That is a great break down as to why. The budget does allow for a more expensive rod and reel however I could not justify spending the money on it as my catch rate has always been great. I just did not see the value in it. I’ve put my money into boats, and hardware for catching the fish and fishing electronics.

To be scientific.. I may need to purchase a higher end rod and reel and do a fair comparison.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
So if I trade in my Ugly Stik for a St Croix will I catch more fish or just have more fun catching them?
Probably both.
Plus you'll become irresistable to fisherwomen.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:26 PM

There can be advantages to buying a higher end rod for sure, but if you don't want to spend the extra money, there are many options out there that are the same price as an ugly stik but WAY higher quality IMO.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 PM

When choosing a rod the biggest change in quality is when the rods go from foam grip to cork. Anything with a foam grip should be left on the shelf as they are an exercise in frustration. Materials can vary greatly with the rod blanks but if you cant transfer the energy to the blank efficiently you are done.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:54 PM

Default New Rod and Reel

I haven't bought a new rod and reel for probably 15 years. That rod just packed it in, reel still good.

I head off to the wall to wall sale as I am heading out fishing this weekend. My experience is very limited on the subject so I have a good friend who knows lots about them and then I have a salesman I am talking to..

I am a budget man but I was thinking that if it will be another 15 years until I need another spinning rod why not get a rod and reel package a little better than the $39.99 special at Canadian Tire (this stuff works ok don't get me wrong) I can use my old reel for pike and walleye and this new one for trout and if I want to fish for walleye and pike with the new reel change out the 6lb test I put on it.

So anyway between the salesperson and my friend I seem to get the same story. Surprise surprise that sounds good. I made the salesperson show me the value and difference between the $30 rod and the $110 rod. He did a pretty good job showing me all the difference in the materials in the handle the eyelets, the action etc. I felt he had created enough value for me to justify my purchase. After all the talk this is the package I got and I am very happy

Shimano Compre 6' two piece
Shimano Symetry 2500 filled with 6lb mono
Package of six Panther Martens
All 25% off total $199.00

I think I am ready to rock the brookies and browns this weekend.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Banned

Default If all you have are nails, every tool is a hammer

From time to time I've been known to compete in walleye tournaments so I have outfitted myself with four medium action fast tip Quantum graphite rods (7' PT Lite and Smokes). One each for baitcaster reels and one each for spin caster. Essential tools and bare minimum if I want to compete at a level where even the smallest of fish can count towards a win, given the right circumstances. I use a 6' Shimano ultra light rod for vertical jigging over the side or slip bobber fishing.

Having said that, and considering that there is close to $1700.00 invested in those combos, I also have two UglyStix that each have specific roles. One has a Pflueger Medalist and is exclusively a pike rod. Less than $200.00. The other (same) rod is paired with a Pflueger Trion, suitable for casting or trolling crankbaits, jerkbaits and plugs. About $100.00. Meat rods. Indestructible. One of my Uglies was purchased in the early 80's when they were a new product.

None of that equipment is used for deep-water trolling for trout . Those applications require sturdier gear and because of the nature of the bite a stiffer spine and slower tip is required. I have a Berkeley S-750 Pacific Troll rod and an Eagle Claw "Granger" with Penn level wind reels. Excellent lake trout rods or giant rainbows at Diefenbaker.

None of these rigs are interchangeable. Terminal tackle maybe but rods not. Bear in mind that I have been fishing for more than 50 years and I have seen many changes in what is the current fashion as seen on TV. If you were confused before it is likely because you've been listening to those fellas on television that reel in fishermen daily for the latest and greatest. And spendiest.

A different tool for every job, and only experience can teach you what you need to know. It has taken me years to acquire this gear and the knowledge needed to use it all effectively. Be patient. Think of it as fishing.

Free (to confuse you even more)

p.s. lannie: I think you are mistaken
Old 08-21-2013, 02:53 PM

If you are really into the big name rod and reel then check out an ad I just put up under fishing equip for sale.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:06 PM

Thank you for the replies folks.

This is the kind of dialauge I want from this thread. I want to know more about the different rods out there. I consider myself to be a failry serious angler (I get out 2 times a week at a min), however I am not a pro by any stretch. I want to always improve my skill and catch rate.

I am starting to see the benefits of the more expensive rods and set ups.

I am not knocking one or the other I just wanted to understand why one was better or worse. I want to make an educated decision on my next rod and reel set up. I do hope this thread helps others in the future when looking for more information.

It appears I have some thinking and researching to do.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB

To be scientific.. I may need to purchase a higher end rod and reel and do a fair comparison.
And TFH's wall to wall sale just started...what a coincidence

EZM summed it up far better than I could, so I won't even try

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams