Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 PM

Default Carriage house build

im wondering if anyone has any experience building a carriage house as a cabin? That is the style with garage below and apartment on top.

I am wondering what a 1300 sq foot footprint would cost me , ball park, compared to a house on basement.

TIA
Old 01-11-2017, 11:16 PM

I've researched these for my garage to use as a secondary suite. One thing to note is that it will require footings that are 1.5 meters deep if my memory serves correctly. Sorry I can't help on the pricing end.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:18 AM
Banned

As a cabin ? That leaves a lot of variables...

I'd guess it may save you in the area of 20-25%, compared to a full house of equal size.

But you'll want in-floor radiant heat for the slab, which would help with heating upstairs too.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:42 AM
Gone Hunting

Pricey but cool for a cabin!!!!

https://f82189b8e7af9bc0e655-81d72e7...View-Suite.pdf

https://www.pioneerloghomesofbc.com/...iage-House.pdf

Or design your own. It would probably be less costly to convert a walk-out basement into a garage or whatever your planned use is. Again, in-floor heat would be a real boon to you.

Last edited by Opa; 01-12-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 AM

Default You can look at these guys

http://www.wintonhomes.ca/

I bought one of these packages as a cabin. This was when they were sold through Home Depot but they still are out there. Very happy with quality and ease of construction. I went with half log siding.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:32 PM

I've always this idea would make a great and more cost effective vacation property..

I wonder if there's different codes/regulations for them.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 PM

1300 square feet? That's a giant garage under a reasonable sized house.

There are savings as you won't have a basement - but it's not going to be as much as you hope.

With 9.36 code changes not sure how anybody is going to build anything anymore unless they are in the industry.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:11 PM

Sneeze..
It's perfect for a vacation property. Lots of "secure" toy storage, and still a place to stay.
And if it really came down to it, you could use the garage as accomadations. One boat, and a couple quads, and all of a sudden there's only one stall for actual cars.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Opa, you had me at "Workshop".

One thing to look out for with the Carriage house designs - you may want to check codes regarding egress.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:32 PM

I can't help you with info on local pricing and codes, but I did want to mention a couple of things that my folks chose when they used this idea for their guest house:

- Included a main (garage) floor bathroom so that guests or workers in the garage didn't need to enter the living quarters (they did just a toilet / sink, but regretted that, and wished they'd included a large double utility sink and a shower).

- Had the main staircase / entrance to the living quarters outside, so that there was no need to enter the garage if just going to the apartment, and so that there was an easy, straight run up the stairs for bringing furniture / supplies in and out. Having no access from inside the garage actually made things less expensive for them at the time since it made it easier for them to meet code requirements for barriers between garage and living space.

- All of the plumbing for both floors was contained within the bathrooms and the adjoining kitchen wall - all insulated and complete with separate heating system so that heat to the rest of the building could be turned off and just minimal heat left to preserve the plumbing for longer periods of absence.

- Built it with some planned extra joist strength in the garage, for the ability to lift an engine (or hang a moose) if need be.

Even with the second thoughts about the design, the overall plan turned out to be fantastic for use of space. Good luck and have fun with putting your plan together!