Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Default What's your practice regime?

So I'm just getting back into bowhunting after along hiatus . Had Neal at Lost Arrow restring, and tune my bow. ( Big thanks and two thumbs up) So now I am trying to get in Quality practice time. Been shooting groups at 20 and 30 some where in the neighborhood of 10-12 , 3 shot groups each night . With the odd night a buddy coming out and shooting aswell may be more then 30 arrows those nights, only til a guy tires or groups open up. I always try to end on a positive note . So far I can see a steady improvement in groups , is this enough practice leading up to hunting season ? Or should I be steadily ramping it up ?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:11 AM

Happy to hear she is shooting good...the strings should be settled now ..feel free to bring it in for a final spec tune and peep set rotation..if needed....no charge

A normal FITA or Vegas style target round is 30 arrows...shooters will shoot normally one or two rounds max...with a break in between if two...

The pracice of 3 arrows per and 30 arrow round was designed so the shooter/shooting form isnt muscle stressed or over shooting...

2 rounds or 60 arrows in evening is plenty
One round with perfect form and shooting practise is even better..[30 arrows]

For bowhunting a Dozen well placed arrows with perfect form every evening or every other is even best...

I know of a couple well known bowhunters that will shoot only one arrow at various distances to their efficent range every evening...in perfect form and shooting...

In their view in most bowhunting situations you only get one shot and no warm up shots ...so they make that one shot an evening count...

For me however as I love to shoot ...that would be like eating only one potatoe chip...cant do it ...so 30 arrows at regular X at diferent distances is my norm...probably three times a week now until and more importanly...during the season...

Neil
Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 PM

20-30 shots 3x per week for me. Groups are a good measure of improvement, but one shot, pull arrow, repeat at a different distance - will tell you your true effective range.. Few second chances in real life.

Once my bow is sighted in, i don't shoot at paper/bullseye again unless I think something is off. 3D practice is super important, it is very difficult to "pick a spot" on an animal when all you see is brown and you're used to looking for a bullseye.

I know my area really well, so in the last three weeks before the season ill set up the exact angles, stand heights and distances to imitate the stands I have. When it happens for real I can take the shot much faster.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 PM

Default What's your practice regime?

I try and shoot 6 arrows a day. Two before work, two when I get home and two before bed. Sometimes I'll shoot more if I have time or desire.

At this time of the year groups mean nothing to me, it's all about hitting the anchor point and performing a good release, one in a row. That's all that really matters to me. One in a row. That's why 3d tourneys are such good training for hunting IMO. Shooting robin hoods at 20 yards means nothing if you can't hit the spot you are shooting outside of known yardage, not on flat ground and without perfect footing.

I shoot 7 yards in my garage at a spot on a bag about the size of a golf tee. Anything but a hit on the dot means I did something wrong. Then I'll shoot another to correct.

Last edited by normanrd; 07-08-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:46 PM

I have always just shot the Block recenetly got the Glen del Full rut I think its way better then shooting at center of a target really helps in placing an Arrow specially trying different shots
Old 07-09-2014, 08:21 AM

I think I will stick with what I'm doing so far . I am lucky as the local bow clubs 3d course is in my neighbors back yard they shoot Monday nights so a 30 second quad ride for me. I just wasn't sure if I was not shooting enough or over doing it but it sounds like I'm on the right track.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:29 AM

Default Practice

I usually shoot 3 rounds of 3-D per week year round outdoors, I have 74 rounds so far this year(July has been slow) Generally shoot 1-2 dozen arrows before each round and also have a range(short 40') in the house that I use a bit. It is pretty mild on the coast so winter is no problem, I had 16 rounds in Jan and never wear gloves.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeP View Post
I usually shoot 3 rounds of 3-D per week year round outdoors, I have 74 rounds so far this year(July has been slow) Generally shoot 1-2 dozen arrows before each round and also have a range(short 40') in the house that I use a bit. It is pretty mild on the coast so winter is no problem, I had 16 rounds in Jan and never wear gloves.

Hey new rule...no bragging how nice that W word is in your parts...

lol

Neil
Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 AM

Default Sorry

Hey sorry about that guys, just take it for granted here I guess, haha.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:49 PM

About 60 arrows per evening from 20 to 50 yards and I shoot one 40 yard cold shot every morning at 5:30 light permitting of course off the deck before I go to work. I do this to try to simulate a hunting shot without a warm up.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:59 PM

I shoot a couple hundred shots a week. I don't smoke in the house so every time I go for a smoke I take a dozen or so shots at different ranges.
Maybe that is why I am having a difficult time quitting smoking.LOL.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:26 AM

What I find strange is once opening day comes many hardly shoot at all once they have the broadheads in the quiver...

thats the time one should be shooting a lot...

I always carry a Judo point in the quiver...not just for small game

I will shoot out of the blind or tree stand after a morning sit,

and we we shoot all the way back to the truck or camp from where we hunt around noon...

He picks a tuff of grass, shoot, pick up arrows...I pick a small stick shoot..all the way back...we even play with some extreme long shots...

$1.00 for the closest...over the years with thousands of shots I think we are still even money...lol

Its best practise because its in the field under the exact conditions hunting clothing, packs etc..

Neil