Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 AM

Default Need some advice

I have been out of archery for over 20 years. Looking to get back into shooting, not hunting I don't think. Which archery companies should I be investigating for a bow. I don't need the quickest fastest most tricked out bow just a good shooting accurate tool. I am left handed, getting up in age and had a 32 in. draw length back in the dinosaur age. Just need the names of some solid co's to investigate. Thanks.

Oh and I favored Hoyt back in the day.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2014, 11:20 AM

Compound or recurve?

If compound, there are lots of good bow companies out there that make quality, smooth shooting bows. Some include PSE, Mathews, Hoyt, APA and more. Probably best to go to a quality pro shop and talk to knowledgable staff. I would recommend that if you want a smoother, easy to shoot bow, don't look at the fastest on the rack. Check out the ones with the longer axle to axle length, higher brace height and average speed (which is still pretty fast).

32" is a really long draw length. You must be a tall guy. To make sure of your draw length the best way to confirm is take your wingspan (fingertip to fingertip with your arms held out straight sideway) and divide by 2.5.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:32 AM

Compound.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Compound or recurve?

If compound, there are lots of good bow companies out there that make quality, smooth shooting bows. Some include PSE, Mathews, Hoyt, APA and more. Probably best to go to a quality pro shop and talk to knowledgable staff. I would recommend that if you want a smoother, easy to shoot bow, don't look at the fastest on the rack. Check out the ones with the longer axle to axle length, higher brace height and average speed (which is still pretty fast).

32" is a really long draw length. You must be a tall guy. To make sure of your draw length the best way to confirm is take your wingspan (fingertip to fingertip with your arms held out straight sideway) and divide by 2.5.
Does the use of a release affect draw length?

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2014, 11:40 AM

I will Suggest looking into APA ...for several reasons...

First is they are Canadian Quaility made...In Bigger Sask...home also of the world record Whitetail...lol

Second is warrenty...all or most all other brands ...other than cam and strings ...all major parts are 4-6-8 weeks deliverly or away Just to get parts...

If one could look at target or 3D wins in Alberta APA bows are at the top also...

Absolutely take one for a test drive...
they have several models that will fit you perfect

price is good with lifetime warrenty

Neil
Old 07-14-2014, 11:41 AM

Hmm..... 30 in. when done like that, my last bow was a 32 in. draw length and then shortened slightly.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-14-2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Hmm..... 30 in. when done like that, my last bow was a 32 in. draw length and then shortened slightly.
Piker, I'm 6'2" with long arms and with a release, only require a 29.5" DL.... I would suggest a visit to your local pro-shop and get them to measure your DL, then you can start shopping for the CORRECT bow (one that fits you).

If indeed you have the longer monkey arms that require 30+ inches of DL, there are several companies/models that will fit this.

As far as you favoring Hoyt back in the day, I have shot Hoyt since 2003 and favor them myself.... Can't go wrong with one of them.... But there are definitely other choices as well.... Again, the pro-shop should let you take a couple for a spin and allow you to find one that fits you.

Calgary has 2 excellent pro-shops and there are several around Edmonton too, as far as I understand.

BTW, almost any bow will shoot the same hole when put into a shooting machine.... It's the Indian behind the bow that makes the difference....

J.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Does the use of a release affect draw length?

The use of a release regardless of how long...and/or even how long the loop is can NOT effect draw lentgh ...mean a set up 30 " bow will only draw that 30"...

however your anchor point..release hand ...may be further behind ear the with longer set up releases and loops...

The draw may feel longer...but in fact it is not...

BTW where are you?

Neil
Old 07-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Not to make this about draw lengths, but....

I sold bows for many years and I would guess that well over 80% of people shot a draw length that was too long. It's not that you can't shoot with a longer draw length (or shorter for that matter) and be accurate - you can. But, I think you can be much more repeatable, and therefore more accurate, with a properly fitted bow. It's a matter of repeatability, and you can have more repeatable form with the right draw length.
I am 6'3" with a 75" wingspan (draw length of 30"), and used to shoot a 29.5" draw length with a release. I shot a 1/2" short as I found with heavier clothing, like you might wear later in the hunting season, the 1/2" shorter helped keep my clothing from interfering - and therefore more accurate. My latest bows have not had the issue with clothing, and I shoot a 30" draw.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
Not to make this about draw lengths, but....

I sold bows for many years and I would guess that well over 80% of people shot a draw length that was too long. It's not that you can't shoot with a longer draw length (or shorter for that matter) and be accurate - you can. But, I think you can be much more repeatable, and therefore more accurate, with a properly fitted bow. It's a matter of repeatability, and you can have more repeatable form with the right draw length.
I am 6'3" with a 75" wingspan (draw length of 30"), and used to shoot a 29.5" draw length with a release. I shot a 1/2" short as I found with heavier clothing, like you might wear later in the hunting season, the 1/2" shorter helped keep my clothing from interfering - and therefore more accurate. My latest bows have not had the issue with clothing, and I shoot a 30" draw.
100% agree...it was bad for many years...old school was everybody was 29"/ 70 lb ...lol

And wingspan isnt even near accurate with some...it gives one an idea..

pending on body size and shape...shooters are like snowflakes everyones different...lol

Neil
Old 07-14-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
100% agree...it was bad for many years...old school was everybody was 29"/ 70 lb ...lol

And wingspan isnt even near accurate with some...it gives one an idea..

pending on body size and shape...shooters are like snowflakes everyones different...lol

Neil
Did you say shooters are like flakes??? Hey, I resemble that remark!! lol

Agree with Neil and the others on everything...except that APA stuff. LOL

Go to a local proshop, shoot a few and let a bow pick you. You will be amazed at the advances in technology since you last shot.

Good luck!