Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 10:30 PM
Banned

Default Hummingbird or Lowrance?

Hey guys,

I want to get one these devices for my boat this year.
Just not sure which one to get.
16ft Aluminum utility.
Budget of $500.

I know I want to know depth, temp,wind,
GPS marking.
Decent maps.
Decent visibility of the screen while screaming across the lake with my hair on fire.

And anything else that I may be missing because I’ve never used one before.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:07 PM

In that price range your only options are the Helix 5 or Hook2 5 models.

For the most part they are very similar. The biggest difference I know of is that the Helix 5 units are capable of creating your own accurate depth chart maps(live while on the water) whereas I do not think the Hook2 units have depth chart making capability.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:58 AM

Maybe take look at a Garmin they have live mapping also it's called quick draw.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:04 AM

I have never used hunmingbird but i like lowrance. For 500 bucks for just the unit/transducer/navionics card, not including battery i would try get my hands on a used gen 2 hds 7” min lowrance unit.... you would be set up well at that point for that price range.

My 2 cents
Old 02-21-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
In that price range your only options are the Helix 5 or Hook2 5 models.

For the most part they are very similar. The biggest difference I know of is that the Helix 5 units are capable of creating your own accurate depth chart maps(live while on the water) whereas I do not think the Hook2 units have depth chart making capability.
Didn't we just do this not long ago? Why not do a quick search before you make statements you "think" are true?

YES, the Hook2 units are fully capable of live on the water mapping using Navionics+ and SonarCharts Live, they are also fully compatible with CMAP Genesis, so you have access to all of the mapping on the Social Maps layer (very good detail and coverage in AB and SK) for free, and the option to create your own private maps.

For about $425, you can get the Hook2 5 with the Splitshot Transducer (2D and DownScan) bundled with a Navionics+ card to give you Sonar Charts Live. Add the TripleShot transducer for DI and Side Imaging, and you're about $600 for the same setup.

The Hook2 7 with Splitshot and the Navionics+ is $700, $850 with DI and SI. If there's any way you can swing the extra $250 up front, you'll never regret it, and you won't end up buying a bigger unit in a year from now. Screen size is king. It's easier to identify fish #1, but it also gives you a lot more usable options in how you setup and split the screen to take advantage of the mapping, 2D, DI, and possibly SI features.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:22 AM

for 500 you can get a helix 5 with DI and be able to make your own maps on the water. I have always liked Humminbird products.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:01 PM

So looking at the BPS flyer for their Fishing Classic(which starts March 2nd), notice a good deal on a Lowrance Elite 5 TI with DI, SI, Chirp. Perhaps, they discontinued this model??
Looks like your in E-Town... maybe its worth the drive or not.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:10 PM

I have yet to run into a lowrance unit that I have not wanted to throw out in 5 minutes or less. I vastly prefer the control setting on a humminbird.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
YES, the Hook2 units are fully capable of live on the water mapping using Navionics+ and SonarCharts Live, they are also fully compatible with CMAP Genesis, so you have access to all of the mapping on the Social Maps layer (very good detail and coverage in AB and SK) for free, and the option to create your own private maps.
I remember talking about it a while ago but didn't think there was any confirmation at that time. I see that Navionics announced a month ago that sonarcharts live does work on the Hook2 units. I don't get why Lowrance doesn't promote that feature on their website...

Do you know if a guy has to pay yearly subscription fee for updates in order to use sonarcharts live? I will find out in a few months, hoping I don't have to pay for updates. If a guy does I would still give Humminbird the advantage for maps since there is no annual fee. CMAP maps are nice if you are down south/fishing lakes that have already been mapped by others. Downside on these cheap units is that you can't run it and sonarcharts live together since there is only one sd slot(I couldn't get it to work on mine anyways).

Since the Hook2 does have live mapping you can't really go wrong with either the Helix 5 or Hook2. They both have roughly the same features and are priced similarly. Pretty much comes down to personal preference, go play with the 2 units in store and decide which user interface you prefer.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:04 PM

E-Town,

Do you ice fish? If so you may want to consider the Helix 5 unit with a ice transducer and a portable transducer. You can make maps in the summer and use them and any waypoints in the summer.

I have had both Lowrance and Humminbird. When I had Lowrance they didn’t have live mapping but Humminbird did so I went that way. It looks like Lowrance does now too with Sonar Charts Live, but you pay an annual subscription. I’m still quite happy with my Humminbird Helix units.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-21-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I have yet to run into a lowrance unit that I have not wanted to throw out in 5 minutes or less. I vastly prefer the control setting on a humminbird.
I would say the exact opposite. I have always found the screens and menu's on the Lowrance far easier to navigate through then on the Humminbirds.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:46 PM

Helix would be my recommendation simply because you get the live mapping without the added cost of a subscription, they are easy to use, and almost everyone that has them loves them.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyShootMore View Post
So looking at the BPS flyer for their Fishing Classic(which starts March 2nd), notice a good deal on a Lowrance Elite 5 TI with DI, SI, Chirp. Perhaps, they discontinued this model??
Looks like your in E-Town... maybe its worth the drive or not.
Some good deals in that flyer.

The Elite TI 5 is a current model, and fully supported including the latest update. An Elite TI touch screen unit with a Totalscan transducer for $500 is a smoking good deal.

The Hook2 7 with CHIRP, DI and Navionics+ card for $600 is a great deal too.

The Elite 12 TI with Totalscan for $1800 is almost 1/2 price.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
I would say the exact opposite. I have always found the screens and menu's on the Lowrance far easier to navigate through then on the Humminbirds.
x2
Old 02-22-2018, 06:56 AM

I run a Bird but must say the touch screens on Lowrance are easier to work with. Saying that once I got used to them it is a non issue.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:24 AM

You may aswell ask which is better, Chev or Ford. Like RavYak says go to the store and play with both of them. If you ask on a forum whatever unit someone owns is the best. With that said Chev and Humminbird as I use my bird in the winter for ice fishing and in the boat for summer.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:53 AM

Default lowrance all the way⚡️

it's the best product on to market easy to use and just really nice resolution
Old 02-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Banned

Thanks for the help fellas
Sounds like I have to try them in store and see which I prefer.
Like Ford.

Hopefully Cabela’s has some decent sales so I can increase my budget a bit.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Thanks for the help fellas

Sounds like I have to try them in store and see which I prefer.

Like Ford.

Hopefully Cabela’s has some decent sales so I can increase my budget a bit.

You might want to consider checking them all out at the Sportsman’s show in a couple weeks. Both brands will be there and you may be able to find some sweeter deals.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-22-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I run a Bird but must say the touch screens on Lowrance are easier to work with. Saying that once I got used to them it is a non issue.
No touch screen models in the OP's price range.