Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 AM

Question Over night ice fishing

I am thinking of doing some overnight ice fishing this winter . What are people doing for heat in there accommodations over night ? I have an Eskimo 6i tent I would be using . Looking for safe reliable heat .
Old 10-30-2017, 08:45 AM

There are propane fueled sunflower heaters that put out quite a lot of heat.
Depending on how much room is in the tent and how cold it is, I would consider buying 2 if this is something you will do multiple times. Having one at either end of the six-man would do nicely and you can always turn them down or off. If you only have one heater and it's not enough to keep the place warm, it's not going to be much fun in a cold tent at 03:00 am.

There are extension hoses so that you can run the large 20 and 30 pound propane cylinders and keep the tanks outside the tent. The number one rule when using these heaters is to keep the place well ventilated. When setting up the tent, don't try to make the tent too air-tight and keep the windows open and the door open a little; just use common sense and things will be fine. When overnighting it on the ice, think about how much propane you're going to need; and then bring double that amount.

When I had my tent, I used those thick, perforated rubber mats like what would be on the floor behind a bar or in a restaurant kitchen. They were about 2'x2' and cost around $25 if I recall. Having those mats made a huge difference with both keeping feet warm as well as preventing slips on the ice. They are not cheap but the are well worth the money.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:59 AM

Big Buddy Heater which as an internal Co2 meter and also burns incredibly clean. I also run a separate battery powered Co2 alarm and keep things cracked open a bit.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM

Not a CO detector, it's a low oxygen sensor in the buddy heaters.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Not a CO detector, it's a low oxygen sensor in the buddy heaters.
It's not even a low oxygen sensor...they just don't operate in low oxygen atmospheres.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:24 PM

I use my big buddy heater with a 20lb bottle and just crack the vents and bring one of my spare 4head monitors with me never had it go off once, most of the time the co is 1-2ppm very minor. Best thing you can do is keep it venting to prevent condensation buildup on the inside and bring something for the floor
Old 10-31-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasoninc View Post
I am thinking of doing some overnight ice fishing this winter . What are people doing for heat in there accommodations over night ? I have an Eskimo 6i tent I would be using . Looking for safe reliable heat .
Booze....Lots of booze
Old 10-31-2017, 06:40 PM

I bought the little 12 volt fan today from the autowrecker one that school buses have at the windshield. They are a two speed unit a wire for each speed and ground through the base. They put out a lot of air movement and i was thinking a rheostat.

This is for the little ice shack -camper.