Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Would still like to know if you can shoot them with either non-expanding bullets or fmj's to prevent fur damage.
Yes, you can shoot yotes with FMJ ammo.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yes, you can shoot yotes with FMJ ammo.
I would add....depending on where you are shooting them it may not be a good choice to use an FMJ over a more frangible bullet.

LC
Old 10-12-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Yes elk i can read. Since I have never hunted big game with fmj's, reading that reg about non expanding bullets never really clicked. For all I know fmj's may not be the only non expanding bullets on the market.
Also I don't agree with you about coyotes being "big game". I think they are predators or even fur bearers and fall under different regs.
Would still like to know if you can shoot them with either non-expanding bullets or fmj's to prevent fur damage.
Obviously you never read the regulations, or you would have known that non expanding bullets are not legal for use on big game.

Would you care to point out where I stated that coyotes were big game.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:12 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BigSexyHunter* View Post
Do you guys think it takes more skill to kill a animal with a full metal jacket rather than with a expanding/ballistic tip?

He thinks to kill an animal humanely with a full metal jacket (The nerve center of the brain) takes more skill than with using a ballistic or expanding bullet.

So do you think it takes more skill to do this?

We have been arguing for the last half hour. We need to clear the air before I shoot him with a FMJ so he dies a slow, painful death.
You don't say what animals you are thinking of so I'm gonna guess that you are talking about hide hunting Coyote and such.

The answer to your question isn't simple. I suppose relatively speaking it would take more skill because it would require greater precision.
First because you would have a much smaller target but also because a marginal hit in the body is far more likely to be lethal then a marginal hit to the head.

But then, in my experience, most hide hunting is done at closer ranges which makes hitting a small target easier.

I used to do a lot of hide hunting with FMJ or solids. I'm not the best shot in the area, not even close but at the ranges I was shooting even I could get a high kill to shots fired ratio.

My most common target was Beaver and I had no problem achieving a 90% + kill ratio using a .22. I did so by limiting my range to under thirty yards.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-13-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
16 posts in, so I hope this is not a derail. I never knew it was illegal to hunt big game with a FMJ (I don't use fmj's anyway), but does that also apply to coyotes? I was thinking of fmj's with my .223 for coyote hunting. Figure there would be less fur damage.
Not a good choice on coyotes. Any body shot expect thru the heart is just going to wound the coyote and hes going to run for days. If you hit the front shoulder it's going to cause a lot of hide damage. Head shot might be desirable but they aren't always available. I used a lot in my younger days and I tracked lot of dogs down to finish them. They don't always stay on the property you have permission for. At the price of fur I like to see a dog drop. Even if I have to walk up and get him an execution shot. 13 years ago I seen a yahoo shot a doe in the head and it's a sight I will never forget. The trashing around and sounds coming from that doe were enough to.make a guy puke. I'll drop steers with a head shot but it's 25 yards and I'm dead certain about my shot
Old 10-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Banned

I think there are a lot more coyotes shot with fmj then we realize thanks to can of Federal at less than $.50 a round. In my opinion, best bang for the $ is some .223 hollowpoint. Still less than $1 and very effective. Back to the original argument- I don't think any ethical hunter would hunt or has hunted big game with fmj. In fact, I've never seen a box of ammo that is fmj with a type game specified on the box.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I think there are a lot more coyotes shot with fmj then we realize thanks to can of Federal at less than $.50 a round. In my opinion, best bang for the $ is some .223 hollowpoint. Still less than $1 and very effective. Back to the original argument- I don't think any ethical hunter would hunt or has hunted big game with fmj. In fact, I've never seen a box of ammo that is fmj with a type game specified on the box.
Full metal jacket and solid metal jacket bullets are used quite often for dangerous game - just not here in North America.
Cat
Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Full metal jacket and solid metal jacket bullets are used quite often for dangerous game - just not here in North America.
Cat
Good point, I have heard that too..
Old 10-13-2014, 02:31 PM
Banned

Old 10-13-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Obviously you never read the regulations, or you would have known that non expanding bullets are not legal for use on big game.

Would you care to point out where I stated that coyotes were big game.
Talking moose could pick something out of the regs and elk hunter would know the answer without looking it up?
Old 10-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Talking moose could pick something out of the regs and elk hunter would know the answer without looking it up?
I'm sure elk hunter knows everything. Gee i bet he has the sunrise/sunset table memorized for every area in AB. lol
Old 10-13-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Everyone should make it a point to learn the regulations as best they can, before going hunting. You need to know what the regulations are, before a F&W officer informs you that you have committed a violation. They don't usually accept "I didn't know" as an excuse for committing a violation.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Everyone should make it a point to learn the regulations as best they can, before going hunting. You need to know what the regulations are, before a F&W officer informs you that you have committed a violation. They don't usually accept "I didn't know" as an excuse for committing a violation.
Well then maybe you should just answer peoples questions and help them learn the rules rather than just being your usual old self and trying to make them feel bad/dumb or whatever the heck it is you do... Not everyone can be perfect such as yourself!

To answer waterninjas question, yes you can hunt coyotes with fmj's but like people have already said it isn't the best idea.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
Well then maybe you should just answer peoples questions and help them learn the rules rather than just being your usual old self and trying to make them feel bad/dumb or whatever the heck it is you do... Not everyone can be perfect such as yourself!

To answer waterninjas question, yes you can hunt coyotes with fmj's but like people have already said it isn't the best idea.
If a person expects to learn all of the rules and regulations just by asking questions on this forum, they will certainly fail. You can get clarification on some regulations by asking questions, but without actually reading the regulations, there is no possible way to even think of all of the questions that you would need to ask, to learn them all. Myself and several other people are always encouraging new hunters to read the regulations thoroughly, before going hunting, because that is the best way to learn the regulations, but judging by some of the questions that are being asked, some people are obviously not making the effort to even read the regulations for themselves.

There are many situations, where it is acceptable to learn as you go, where there is no penalty for a mistake, the hunting regulations, are not one of those situations. You either learn the regulations before you begin hunting, or you risk being penalized for making a mistake.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-13-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
If a person expects to learn all of the rules and regulations just by asking questions on this forum, they will certainly fail. You can get clarification on some regulations by asking questions, but without actually reading the regulations, there is no possible way to even think of all of the questions that you would need to ask, to learn them all. Myself and several other people are always encouraging new hunters to read the regulations thoroughly, before going hunting, because that is the best way to learn the regulations, but judging by some of the questions that are being asked, some people are obviously not making the effort to even read the regulations for themselves.
He never asked you to read him the regulations. He simply said he was unaware of fmj's being illegal on big game and then asked one simple question which you obviously knew the answer to but you still insisted on dodging the question and just called him out on his lack of knowledge.

Believe me, I think reading the regs front to back is essential too, but it is impossible for people to comprehend and remember EVERYTHING in there, so next time someone asks a simple question you know the answer to, just answer it! This site would be a much more enjoyable experience.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Believe me, I think reading the regs front to back is essential too, but it is impossible for people to comprehend and remember EVERYTHING in there, so next time someone asks a simple question you know the answer to, just answer it! This site would be a much more enjoyable experience.
So what if someone previously posted that he did not bother reading the regs from front to back, would that be a case of not comprehending and understanding everything, or would it simply a lack of effort on his part?
Old 10-13-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
So what if someone previously posted that he did not bother reading the regs from front to back, would that be a case of not comprehending and understanding everything, or would it simply a lack of effort on his part?
I'm not getting into this dumb argument man, grow up and move on. All this debate would have been avoided had you just answered the mans question, which now a few people have so I really don't see any reason for continuing this pointless de-rail of a conversation.