Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-26-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit Snarer View Post
As for mitigating other factors all you have to do is look at how the caribou situation in AB is being handled. Unless the new government values wildlife more than clear cutting and gas and oil production it's hopeless.
I didn't realize that clear cutting and O&G production were occuring in Jasper Nat. Park.
When did that start?
Oh yeah, when the caribou started on a one way street.
Gotcha.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Nope. If the quantified natural mortality is 35% then anything above that percentage would be additive mortality, not compensatory. Which makes your version of Facts, False. v v

More precisely, any human induced mortality can be both additive and compensatory - depending upon the conditions and context.

Not surprisingly, you neglected to mention that a 25 or 35% cull would stop the wolf numbers from growing, which is better than having an increase in the wolf population when management goals are to reduce the mortality rates on ungulates.
First comment is exactly as I said.

Second comment is well known and meaningless in this example because the discussion is about the consequences of a 25% cull.

Third comment would be true if it were additive to natural mortality and could be maintained indefinitely over the entire province. A normal population can maintain their numbers with normal pup survival which means an adequate prey base and ingress ion from neighboring areas which you would have even if you covered the entire province because the province is surrounded by wolves.

Have you ever wondered why the Smoky cull which has been intensive use of strychnine and aerial gunning for ten consecutive years with a 100% removal every year still results in the same number of wolves killed the following year? This is significant to most people. It's here in Alberta and happening now. Why can you not accept the dynamics of a wolf population? or the scientists who spoke on the CTV wolf documentary?

I have said before wolves are going to teach a bunch of people a hard lesson in the next few years unless mother nature steps in for some reason.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ----->shooter View Post
To those that are humouring the thread snarer, why bother? It's like arguing with a three year old.... You won't get an intelligent answer, just...why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
I suggest you take Walking Buffalo with you, it sounds like you would be the perfect team.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Banned

Forgot to mention. You guys can giver all you want from here on and not a peep out of me. Even I get sick of banging my head against a rock.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Banned

Some skin in the game.

Why?

It’s the internet, tracks are all over?

I recycle, but the competition is growing?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 PM

If you cull as little as 5% of the wolves but do it in the spring then it will most certainly be an additive mortality.

But you know that - he who speaks in circles....... or is that snares?

Why not become the wolf snarer?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Banned

thank you
Old 05-27-2015, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
If you cull as little as 5% of the wolves but do it in the spring then it will most certainly be an additive mortality.

But you know that - he who speaks in circles....... or is that snares?

Why not become the wolf snarer?
Hi fellows, just got in from hunting and thought I should check and see what you came up with in my absence. I'm very disappointed - nothing!

What is the date in spring you have slated for a cull to occur? This is critical info to have before I respond.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Forgot to mention. You guys can giver all you want from here on and not a peep out of me. Even I get sick of banging my head against a rock.
Quote:
Hi fellows, just got in from hunting and thought I should check and see what you came up with in my absence. I'm very disappointed - nothing!

What is the date in spring you have slated for a cull to occur? This is critical info to have before I respond.
Lol Ya big fibber, I knew you couldn't be trusted. I hate it when people lie on the internet
Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Lol Ya big fibber, I knew you couldn't be trusted. I hate it when people lie on the internet
Lol, I know eh? I'm sure this guy was out hunting and would come back saying " not a peep".
F#€£en joke.
Watch his "not a peep" defensive reply too.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:

You are doing nothing more than being an obstinate ass. You know very well that if the political will was there to reduce the numbers of wolves it could be done - and that any reduction will have a corresponding positive impact on any and all of the prey species of those wolves.

Did you at least manage to enjoy rabbit for supper? None here to hunt with my snares as the coyotes are keeping the populations repressed.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
You are doing nothing more than being an obstinate ass. You know very well that if the political will was there to reduce the numbers of wolves it could be done - and that any reduction will have a corresponding positive impact on any and all of the prey species of those wolves.

Did you at least manage to enjoy rabbit for supper? None here to hunt with my snares as the coyotes are keeping the populations repressed.
I agree completely with you that if the political will were there we could virtually extirpate wolves on a year to year basis. Don't forget we are surrounded by wolves and there will never be the political will. Killing wolves to provide more game for hunters is a 100% non starter. Reducing wolf populations is no different.