Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 01:21 PM

Love me some williams wabblers, caught more big pike on those than any other lure, cant beat the action and flash.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:40 PM

Default Canadian Made Fishing Gear

Pelican spoons.
Tomic spoons.
Titan spoons.

Jesarin out of BC makes some good wedding bands that I use for Kokanee.

Last edited by Tom Pullings; 07-06-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
I will be the first one to admit it....

Canada doesn't have any top notch fishing gear company.

Also the companies that do exist in Canada doesn't jump onto new trends and doesn't innovate. They don't release many new lure and sell the same old lure they sold back in the day.

I wish there was better Canadian fishing companies.

If anyone wants to start one, hit me up

What? No good companies? You could easily be a very successful fisherman using only Canadian stuff.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
I will be the first one to admit it....

Canada doesn't have any top notch fishing gear company.

Also the companies that do exist in Canada doesn't jump onto new trends and doesn't innovate. They don't release many new lure and sell the same old lure they sold back in the day.

I wish there was better Canadian fishing companies.

If anyone wants to start one, hit me up
Year after year the top 5 or even 10 best all round lures are the ones that have been around forever. Its all been done before. Most stuff new just gets you to spend money and either dont catch fish or dont do any better. Hard to beat a "5 o diamonds" spoon or a jig with a "Mr Twister" curly tail or some other plastics on it.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
Pelican spoons.
Tomic spoons.
Titan spoons.

Jesarin out of BC makes some good wedding bands that I use for Kokanee.
Good lake trolls too
Old 07-06-2018, 05:06 PM

Kam from Kamooki is only a few years old and he is a local Cochrane guy to boot and to name 1 and from the old stuff Len Thompson is from here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Year after year the top 5 or even 10 best all round lures are the ones that have been around forever. Its all been done before. Most stuff new just gets you to spend money and either dont catch fish or dont do any better. Hard to beat a "5 o diamonds" spoon or a jig with a "Mr Twister" curly tail or some other plastics on it.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Gibbs. (The best lake trolls imo)
While Gibbs is a Canadian company, much of their product is now made in China. Just happened in the last couple years, I don't buy their stuff anymore myself. If I want Chinese crap I just buy Chinese crap. These brand names don't get that, I aint paying top dollar for Chinese gear.

At least 60 percent of my tackle box is Canadian made, and those are the lures I use the 90 percent of the time.

Last edited by Bushleague; 07-06-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
While Gibbs is a Canadian company, much of their product is now made in China. Just happened in the last couple years, I don't buy their stuff anymore myself. If I want Chinese crap I just buy Chinese crap. These brand names don't get that, I aint paying top dollar for Chinese gear.

At least 60 percent of my tackle box is Canadian made, and those are the lures I use the 90 percent of the time.
I haven’t bought new lake trolls in years. Thanks for the heads up on the decline in quality. Who’s making good 60” lake trolls?
Old 07-24-2018, 04:25 PM

Balo spoons made in Calgary
Some really nice colours
Old 07-24-2018, 04:51 PM

4 our of my 5 prostaff are Canadian companies and I love them all.

Scotty (Victoria)
Len Thompson (Lacombe)
Northern King (Lacombe)
Eagle Performance Boats (Red Deer)

All are owned and operated in Canada and have been great to deal with and have amazing products.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:55 PM

Best fish I caught this last weekend was on a Len Thompson 5 of diamonds!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Are not Len Thompson also made here?
Yep that they are, my go to for spoons! Absolutely love them!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:50 PM

Tomic plugs should be on the list for sure.

A friend’s girlfriend walked into a sporting goods store last year and bought a 602 glow 7” Tubby off the shelf. Buddy has lots of great plugs for Tyee fishing but she wanted her own. She landed 4 Springs over 30 and countless more under in a 3 week period just on the south boundary of the Tyee pool in Campbell River at the end of August and first two weeks of September. This was all out of a power boat and not rowing.

I used to re-work all my Shovelnose Lucky Louie’s and get Tomic to custom paint them when I rowed. They did a beautiful job on the paint.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Have you ever tried these products ?

http://www.baitrix.com
Old 07-24-2018, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post

There are some great Canadian Fishing companies but probably 80%+ of most fishing gear rods, reels, lures, tackle boxes etc. are all made in China. Some of the biggest fishing companies in the world have their fishing products made there. A lot of the gear is high end, but most people don't realize where it is made.

US companies import lots of product from China and other parts of the world, not sure if it is still the same but at one time as long as the product was 60% American they can label it "Made in America". I believe it was the same in Canada to be able to call it "Made in Canada" but can't recall.