Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
IF they were to draw without using the 999 system, your wait time wouldn't be a 4, it would be an 8 and nothing would change, unless tags were cut back !
the point is, a lot of those guys are applying for multiple draws due to the fact that when they get drawn for the animal (s), they DO want to hunt, they know they are back to low priority, so they then cash in their priority for animals...just because....
The general consensus here is the system needs fixing, just don't mess with the way "I " do my draws.....
Old 06-24-2013, 02:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
IF they were to draw without using the 999 system, your wait time wouldn't be a 4, it would be an 8 and nothing would change, unless tags were cut back !
the point is, a lot of those guys are applying for multiple draws due to the fact that when they get drawn for the animal (s), they DO want to hunt, they know they are back to low priority, so they then cash in their priority for animals...just because....
The general consensus here is the system needs fixing, just don't mess with the way "I " do my draws.....so, as per usual we are our own worst enemy.....
Old 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM

If you cant afford an increase in the current cost of licencing in AB what the hell are you doing hunting in the first place???? Its way cheaper to buy beef at the store than hunt unless your shooting it out in the back yard. Venison is the most expensive meat I eat, by the time gas, time off work etc... is taken into account I could have bought way more at the store.

The suggestion to increase in licencing and draw cost isn't people trying to be elitist its simply another tool to get the desired results out of the draw system. Like mentioned above if you cant afford a $25 or $35 application cost you should really think about whether you can afford to hunt period.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Back logs are happening, because there is an increase in population applying draws, while Esrd are reducing tags.
By population, it is not "new" hunters, but hunters that are new to the draw system.

This is what happens as more and more general seasons are changed to draw seasons.

Removing the 999 system will not fix anything. Perform a test model and you'll see.

But I sure do love reading all these calls for hunter management while there is hardly a peep about Wildlife management.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I think that some changes should be made for who is eligible to apply for draws. I think people applying for draws should have to meet the following conditions:

1. Person must have been born in Alberta and have a current Alberta residence.
2. Person must be over 18.
3. Person must have filed an income tax return for the previous three years or be a senior who is retired.
Well as for point one I personlly couldn't decide where I was born but I got to Alberta as fast as I could. Never looked back, sure hope I don't get punished for not being born here.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I know a pile of guys that 999 many tags that They normaly would have no intention of ever hunting but since it's $3 they 999 every tag they can and then one day just apply simply because they are high priority not because it's somethIng they really want to hunt. If it wasn't for the 999 system these guys never would have pulled that tag leaving it for others that really wanted it. Take a bunch of these guys out and it will help as it frees up their tags.
Never use to do this but guilty of it now. One day my buddy and I talked about the excessive wait times for draws and decided it would be best to put in for everything even if we never wanted to hunt it today so that in 10 or 15 years when/if we did want to hunt the option would be there and not have to start building priority points at that time. With the way things are going with the current system the chances of getting drawn on these "super" tags are slim to none if you havent been building priority points.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
By population, it is not "new" hunters, but hunters that are new to the draw system.

This is what happens as more and more general seasons are changed to draw seasons.

Removing the 999 system will not fix anything. Perform a test model and you'll see.

But I sure do love reading all these calls for hunter management while there is hardly a peep about Wildlife management.
How can it not help? If you remove 999 I bet only half them guys would ever apply if they had to pull the tag what ever year drawn not the year they so choose. Even if it removed 1/4 of applicants In a draw with 10,000 999 applicants that can be a significant decrease in applicants and can help bring the supply and demand numbers closer together.

You guys only plan on all those 999 guys to keep applying but they won't as they have to commit and many won't because they aren't in control any longer.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Never use to do this but guilty of it now. One day my buddy and I talked about the excessive wait times for draws and decided it would be best to put in for everything even if we never wanted to hunt it today so that in 10 or 15 years when/if we did want to hunt the option would be there and not have to start building priority points at that time. With the way things are going with the current system the chances of getting drawn on these "super" tags are slim to none if you havent been building priority points.
Lots do. And in many draws you must as if you don't you will never get a tag. Future hunters have minimal hope in a lot of zones the way things are going.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Well as for point one I personlly couldn't decide where I was born but I got to Alberta as fast as I could. Never looked back, sure hope I don't get punished for not being born here.
!!! Point #1 (must be born in Alberta) would certainly cut back the wait time. lol.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
How can it not help? If you remove 999 I bet only half them guys would ever apply if they had to pull the tag what ever year drawn not the year they so choose. Even if it removed 1/4 of applicants In a draw with 10,000 999 applicants that can be a significant decrease in applicants and can help bring the supply and demand numbers closer together.

You guys only plan on all those 999 guys to keep applying but they won't as they have to commit and many won't because they aren't in control any longer.

Because people will apply as we did before the 999 system.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Because people will apply as we did before the 999 system.
not if you put a cap on the number of draws applied for in a year....
Old 06-24-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
If you cant afford an increase in the current cost of licencing in AB what the hell are you doing hunting in the first place???? Its way cheaper to buy beef at the store than hunt unless your shooting it out in the back yard. Venison is the most expensive meat I eat, by the time gas, time off work etc... is taken into account I could have bought way more at the store.

The suggestion to increase in licencing and draw cost isn't people trying to be elitist its simply another tool to get the desired results out of the draw system. Like mentioned above if you cant afford a $25 or $35 application cost you should really think about whether you can afford to hunt period.
I don't seeing 25-35$ deterring too many from putting in the draw . How high would you have to put it to actually deter applicants? 100? 1000? This is where the elitest arguement comes from. If the extra money goes into general coffers the government will pi$$ it away without doing anything for game management or conservation. There are things that can be approved on with the current system , the biggest being sure the Win card situation gets rectafied. Which brings up another question how does IBM get paid. If it gets a cut per applicant I can see a big problem there.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I know a pile of guys that 999 many tags that They normaly would have no intention of ever hunting but since it's $3 they 999 every tag they can and then one day just apply simply because they are high priority not because it's somethIng they really want to hunt. If it wasn't for the 999 system these guys never would have pulled that tag leaving it for others that really wanted it. Take a bunch of these guys out and it will help as it frees up their tags.

Dumping the 999 system would weed out the same guys you are hoping to eliminate by raising application fees... Wouldn't it? I would much rather say goodbye to 999 than hello to higher application fees.

What would happen if successful applicants had to wait 3yrs before applying for the same species again?
Old 06-24-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Or many of them would still apply hoping that when they get drawn, the hunt will work out with "life", and if it doesn't work out, then "oh well" they get drawn but the tag goes to waste.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
I don't seeing 25-35$ deterring too many from putting in the draw . How high would you have to put it to actually deter applicants? 100? 1000? This is where the elitest arguement comes from. If the extra money goes into general coffers the government will pi$$ it away without doing anything for game management or conservation. There are things that can be approved on with the current system , the biggest being sure the Win card situation gets rectafied. Which brings up another question how does IBM get paid. If it gets a cut per applicant I can see a big problem there.
My understanding....IBM gets every dime of draw money, they sold it as the cost to administer the process....ALL of it, nothing goes to the Government (other than the taxes) and nothing is put back into conservation or enforcement.

LC
Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Banned

Removing the 999 choice wont reduce wait times, it will just mean guys will get drawn and waste the tag by not showing up for the hunt.

Edit: sako grey wolf beat me to it,
Old 06-24-2013, 03:53 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Removing the 999 choice wont reduce wait times, it will just mean guys will get drawn and waste the tag by not showing up for the hunt.

once again, not if you limit the number of draws a person can apply for in a year. The shotgun applications are part of the problem as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My understanding....IBM gets every dime of draw money, they sold it as the cost to administer the process....ALL of it, nothing goes to the Government (other than the taxes) and nothing is put back into conservation or enforcement.

LC
Well I can see them in favour of a big hike!
Old 06-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:

X2....guys figure if they get drawn they will just make it happen, some can and many can't.

I would guess that ebbs and flows in the draws vary much more by how many guys are at each priority level and do not ever 999 when compared to the guys that do 999.

There is not the same number of hunters at each priority level, this causes longer and shorter wait times also, when compared year over year.

LC
Old 06-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Well I can see them in favour of a big hike!
be pretty simple to circumvent IBM and put additional funds received into SRD operations only.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Right now if a person applies for 10 draws it costs approx. $36. Let's say fees are raised to say $25 and the total was then $250. Still affordable, but I have no doubt the difference would weed out a lot of the "applying for the sake of applying" group.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT

....it just seems completely unreasonable.

Do you know that for sure?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfriend View Post
I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT

....it just seems completely unreasonable.

Do you know that for sure?
I recall being told that the fees for draws were what they are because IBM needs to charge a fee to cover the cost of the draw infrastructure....I hope I am wrong but this is what I was told many years ago.

LC
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

Well I guess than the only answer to reducing wait times is to jack prices and eliminate numbers that way.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:

X2

Again the 999 doesn't increase draw times.

Like jamie said yearlier 999 basically existed pre 999 anyways...just apply with a lower priority.

...the problem isn't people management...its proper game management, that's what we need to focus on, and only that will reduce draw times.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:12 PM

Quote:

yup lets make everything in this fine prov. expensive I take friends out to hunt that don't make all the much they put in for there draws and have a great outdoor experence .. but i guess you only want them to hunt general tags so you don't have to wait as long for your tag.

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
once again, not if you limit the number of draws a person can apply for in a year. The shotgun applications are part of the problem as well.
Hal by reducing the number of draws you can apply for, your actually increase draw times by double on the draws you can't apply for.....the number of draws you apply for doesn't change the draw wait time. That's all game dependant nothing more, the amount of draw tags that is.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well I guess than the only answer to reducing wait times is to jack prices and eliminate numbers that way.
Prices could go up a bit I agree but that wont have a big effect imo.

Maybe increase the number of draw opportunities? Take back the outfitter and non resident tags, this adds +/- 20% to the number of tags available to the residents, harvest success rates being equal.

Add an early season archery draw - that may pull an additional 10-20% of applicants out of the rifle draw pool.

Now add a three week muzzleloader season in October - that may again pull 10%-20% out of the rifle draw pool.

Now the rifle draw pool has 30-40% fewer warm bodies applying and has 20% more tags. That will shorten or help to shorten draw times.
Get it?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hal by reducing the number of draws you can apply for, your actually increase draw times by double on the draws you can't apply for.....the number of draws you apply for doesn't change the draw wait time. That's all game dependant nothing more, the amount of draw tags that is.
That is flawed thinking in these days, where you realistically may only hunt "bull" antelope, moose or elk one more time in your life given the reality of the trends.

Reality is that you wont be able to hunt everything, as much as you want, so pick something (or in Hals case pick 3) that you focus on and leave the others to someone else to enjoy before they die with a Priority 85 in 15 different species.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
That is flawed thinking in these days, where you realistically may only hunt "bull" antelope, moose or elk one more time in your life given the reality of the trends.

Reality is that you wont be able to hunt everything, as much as you want, so pick something (or in Hals case pick 3) that you focus on and leave the others to someone else to enjoy before they die with a Priority 85 in 15 different species.
If you think fraudulent draws were an issue before wait till you tell some people that they can only put in for 3 things....every wife, kid, dog, grandma and grandpa is going to be taking the hunting course and putting in for draws ....

I know in our Family we all stagger moose draws via 999 so that we can plan ahead on splitting a moose between the 4 of us every year....the area we go to takes about 4 years to get a tag....we have a rotation set up so we have 1 moose to split between the 4 families every year.

I wouldn't want to have 4 moose draws in a single year.

LC