Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
X about a million. We are all Albertan. We all like to hunt and fish. Should be one set of rules for everybody in this day and age.
Who would "we" be?
There are others that have an advantage over "we" albertans when it comes to hunting.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
Who would "we" be?
There are others that have an advantage over "we" albertans when it comes to hunting.
You mean like rich people that can hunt without having to apply for special tags, many that aren't even canadians?? It would be nice to have the coin to just book a hunt for a preferred species with a guide outfitter each season....
Old 10-17-2013, 05:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
X about a million. We are all Albertan. We all like to hunt and fish. Should be one set of rules for everybody in this day and age.
Hmmmm... not gonna happen....and I'm not sure it should.
My thought is that we probably sell more game to outsiders through outfitters ...than natives harvest for their own table.

But....

You touched on something here.

It might well be to the advantage of some that there remains a difference and lingering feelings of distrust or envy.

We have two parties of hunters here...native who are generally quite well organized politically and non-native who might be better funded individually but have no real political cloute.

Imagine the good things might be possible if both parties found a common foe and decided to work together.

The real problem is the commercialization of our heritage through calling it sport then selling it like any other commodity....not recreational or sustinance hunters....white, native or otherwise.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman View Post
We had 4000 acres of land not long ago scattered throughout Sask, some of it very close to an indian reserve, we received many phone calls from natives to hunt on our land which was always granted, in turn they looked after our land for us when we weren't farming it , which was a lot because we lived 120 km away. We had many issues with poaching and 99% was from my fair skinned brethren. Thanks to the friendly native folks from that reserve three men were caught and charged through the years, all reported by the natives. When we decided to sell off the land the reserve got first dibs on the land and we ended up selling it to them for a reduced cost because of their kindness throughout the 20 years we farmed that land. I personally believe the natives of Canada have more than earned their hunting privileges. Do some take advantage, sure they do, do some poach, yes. But that's the human in them not the race.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 PM

Seems like somebody is trying to set me up, abb first you tried to provoke me, by saying is that all you got and then laughing, then secondly saying false things about me being suspended. For your information I am not racist nor am I prejudice. I take affence to that. I simply have an opinion on this subject and I feel that this is a law that was made many years ago and does not apply now, I am not saying take away all sustinence hunting, but make it more current to the times we are in now, please don't try to fight any more abb, I will not engage, I just want good conversation.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownb View Post
Seems like somebody is trying to set me up, abb first you tried to provoke me, by saying is that all you got and then laughing, then secondly saying false things about me being suspended. For your information I am not racist nor am I prejudice. I take affence to that. I simply have an opinion on this subject and I feel that this is a law that was made many years ago and does not apply now, I am not saying take away all sustinence hunting, but make it more current to the times we are in now, please don't try to fight any more abb, I will not engage, I just want good conversation.
actually .. i will have to apologise.. i went back.. was someone else in sense of suspension.. but i do remember your pm getting up all in my face about not liking my choice of actions on a thread IIRC. If not.. oh well. So much has gone on here in the last bit easy mistake.. but.. also.. i never said your racist.. no one is setting you up.. and LOL@ fight. You just need the last word.

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 10-17-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:32 PM

oh .. and...

Old 10-17-2013, 10:51 PM

My uncle has his native status (married into the family). I know that native people have been living off the land for many years. I agree with them being able to hunt year round. That being said i don't agree with them being able to rifle hunt year round. Their ancestors never had 300 win mags and lifted f150 trucks, therefore i think todays aboriginal people should only be able to hunt the same way as in the past with a bow and arrow. I have seen countless times people abusing these laws and i hope some changes with be made in the future. Im not saying to take it away, just saying to change it and make it fair for all Canadian citizens.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter12 View Post
My uncle has his native status (married into the family). I know that native people have been living off the land for many years. I agree with them being able to hunt year round. That being said i don't agree with them being able to rifle hunt year round. Their ancestors never had 300 win mags and lifted f150 trucks, therefore i think todays aboriginal people should only be able to hunt the same way as in the past with a bow and arrow. I have seen countless times people abusing these laws and i hope some changes with be made in the future. Im not saying to take it away, just saying to change it and make it fair for all Canadian citizens.
Wait!!! What???? Your uncle is white and married a native chick and now your uncles an indian???
Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Wait!!! What???? Your uncle is white and married a native chick and now your uncles an indian???
I may have phrased that wrong. I am white. So is my aunt. She married a native
Old 10-17-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Im sorry but this made me laugh out loud reading this!! LOL
Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Im sorry but this made me laugh out loud reading this!! LOL
Im just a simple fella and probably could of worded it better....lol.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:05 PM

It just sounded funny :P
Old 10-17-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Their ancestors never had 300 win mags and lifted f150 trucks
Just wondering...

Whose ancestors had 300 win mags and lifted f150 trucks?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 PM

I have many native friends who don't even hunt or fish,and the ones who do hunt are good hunters,,,all i want is me moose by
Old 10-18-2013, 12:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Who knows"

I know a woman that goes in a barn every day and ask anyone...she's a real cow...
Old 10-18-2013, 12:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_dave View Post
Just wondering...

Whose ancestors had 300 win mags and lifted f150 trucks?
LOL. Not mine.

My ancestors hunting with wood and string. If they hunted at all.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-18-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Yes you are confused with Metis... i was going to say more... but.. i reallynhave a hard time believing that if she is treaty status...that she is un aware of her hunting options. Im treaty status.. and mny members heee are as well.. just 95% of them dont make it known due to obvious reasons.

Having skipped reading the thread, just though I would let you know my experience on this Treaty hunting rights education matter.

I have been heavily involved in the southern Alberta Native community for around 20 years, spending the majority of my hunting time with Elders mentoring several kids every year. Almost without exception, most Status hunters of all ages do not know what their Treaty hunting rights and legal obligations are.

A couple of other notes. Few Treaty hunters here ever hunt off of their reserves. Imo, due to the loss of contact between generations from the Residential school aberration, few younger hunters have a mentor to teach them about hunting. This is what we are trying to rectify.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:20 AM

Thats awesome. I have never experienced that.

Since this thread.. i am being contacted my more and more status forum members. Small world i tell ya.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
Who knows"

I know a woman that goes in a barn every day and ask anyone...she's a real cow...
Hey BDB..................that's a good one to start the weekend, thank you!!!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Thats awesome. I have never experienced that.

Since this thread.. i am being contacted my more and more status forum members. Small world i tell ya.
Count me in, born, bred and raised red, although I don't think I have to, I'm "outing" myself"
Old 10-18-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
LOL. Not mine.

My ancestors hunting with wood and string. If they hunted at all.
Obviously Dave doesn't know how the read properly. I said "their ancestors never hunted with 300 win mags and lifted f150's" refering to a lot of the native hunters hunting like that today. They claim they've been living of the land for hundreds of years I just think if they want to hunt year round they should do it in the same way their ancestors did... With a bow and arrow not rifles
Old 10-18-2013, 07:41 AM

How many folks truly live off the land in Canada?

If it were up to me if someone truly wanted to do that then I don't care the background or heritage they should be allowed to do so.

But they would have to truly "live off the land"

LC
Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
How many folks truly live off the land in Canada?

If it were up to me if someone truly wanted to do that then I don't care the background or heritage they should be allowed to do so.

But they would have to truly "live off the land"

LC
Nail meet Head. I agree with this statement 100%, I believe this was the logic behind the treaty agreement when it was written up.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Nail meet Head. I agree with this statement 100%, I believe this was the logic behind the treaty agreement when it was written up.
Agreed, it's not a bad law it just needs to be updated, oh how times have changed, people have to see that.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Obviously Dave doesn't know how the read properly. I said "their ancestors never hunted with 300 win mags and lifted f150's" refering to a lot of the native hunters hunting like that today. They claim they've been living of the land for hundreds of years I just think if they want to hunt year round they should do it in the same way their ancestors did... With a bow and arrow not rifles
I think this is part of the solution, getting back to the tools that were available back when the law was made.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
They claim they've been living of the land for hundreds of years I just think if they want to hunt year round they should do it in the same way their ancestors did... With a bow and arrow not rifles
Just curious what would be the cut off as far as time line. Hunt like your ancestors did 100, 200, 300, 400 hundred years ago??

Natives traded for firearms, or were given them when what ever country wanted them as allies

The bow and arrow as well as firearms are part of native heritage. Going back to 1600's.

Larry
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Count me in, born, bred and raised red, although I don't think I have to, I'm "outing" myself"
I'm an "under cover indian"/ European . I can grow facial hair and look more Italian lol
Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2oil View Post
I'm an "under cover indian"/ European . I can grow facial hair and look more Italian lol
In cog neato native

LC
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoes View Post
Just curious what would be the cut off as far as time line. Hunt like your ancestors did 100, 200, 300, 400 hundred years ago??

Natives traded for firearms, or were given them when what ever country wanted them as allies

The bow and arrow as well as firearms are part of native heritage. Going back to 1600's.

Larry
Plus, the push towards the treaty process was roughly 1890-1910. They were long since hunting with firearms by then. Its really a dumb argument.
Closed Thread