Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-30-2017, 06:57 AM

Question Over night ice fishing

I am thinking of doing some overnight ice fishing this winter . What are people doing for heat in there accommodations over night ? I have an Eskimo 6i tent I would be using . Looking for safe reliable heat .
Old 10-30-2017, 08:45 AM

There are propane fueled sunflower heaters that put out quite a lot of heat.
Depending on how much room is in the tent and how cold it is, I would consider buying 2 if this is something you will do multiple times. Having one at either end of the six-man would do nicely and you can always turn them down or off. If you only have one heater and it's not enough to keep the place warm, it's not going to be much fun in a cold tent at 03:00 am.

There are extension hoses so that you can run the large 20 and 30 pound propane cylinders and keep the tanks outside the tent. The number one rule when using these heaters is to keep the place well ventilated. When setting up the tent, don't try to make the tent too air-tight and keep the windows open and the door open a little; just use common sense and things will be fine. When overnighting it on the ice, think about how much propane you're going to need; and then bring double that amount.

When I had my tent, I used those thick, perforated rubber mats like what would be on the floor behind a bar or in a restaurant kitchen. They were about 2'x2' and cost around $25 if I recall. Having those mats made a huge difference with both keeping feet warm as well as preventing slips on the ice. They are not cheap but the are well worth the money.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:59 AM

Big Buddy Heater which as an internal Co2 meter and also burns incredibly clean. I also run a separate battery powered Co2 alarm and keep things cracked open a bit.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM

Not a CO detector, it's a low oxygen sensor in the buddy heaters.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Not a CO detector, it's a low oxygen sensor in the buddy heaters.
It's not even a low oxygen sensor...they just don't operate in low oxygen atmospheres.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:24 PM

I use my big buddy heater with a 20lb bottle and just crack the vents and bring one of my spare 4head monitors with me never had it go off once, most of the time the co is 1-2ppm very minor. Best thing you can do is keep it venting to prevent condensation buildup on the inside and bring something for the floor
Old 10-30-2017, 07:16 PM

Use kids foam matts on the floor, cott, sleeping bag, big buddy heater, 4" abs x 2 ft pipe for combustion air at the heater under tent, leave upper vents open.
Always have a co detector for safety, never had mine go off.
Use painters tray on big buddy for cooking
Old 10-30-2017, 07:21 PM

-35C sleeping bag, insert and a cote with a good sleeping pad. Never got cold, had a sleeping bag iced to an improvised pad in -43C while testing and now use a pad with a reflective side. As long as you are out of the wind and keep everything dry and properly zipped up - cold is not a big deal.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:28 PM

Zippo has metal glove warmers that use lighter fluid, they are a lot warmer, and last a lot longer (12hrs) then your store bought disposables, what I do is put two of them at the bottom of my sleeping bad (one for each bare foot), if it's real cold I will use 3 or 4. Wearing gear to keep your head warm is also a must! You will also obviously need to get yourself off the ground, I would suggest a cot, and spend some money on a good sleeping bag, on real cold night I run a inverter with a 50-100 ft cord, electric heat is dry heat, which will dry things out, and you won't have to worry about, the co2 that a propane heater puts off! This is the way I do it, and I've been nice, and comfortable as low as -30
Old 10-30-2017, 09:02 PM

Have seen guys get a stove jack sewn in and use a small outfitter wood stove towards the middle of the ice tent, good dry heat.
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Zippo has metal glove warmers that use lighter fluid, they are a lot warmer, and last a lot longer (12hrs) then your store bought disposables, what I do is put two of them at the bottom of my sleeping bad (one for each bare foot), if it's real cold I will use 3 or 4. Wearing gear to keep your head warm is also a must! You will also obviously need to get yourself off the ground, I would suggest a cot, and spend some money on a good sleeping bag, on real cold night I run a inverter with a 50-100 ft cord, electric heat is dry heat, which will dry things out, and you won't have to worry about, the co2 that a propane heater puts off! This is the way I do it, and I've been nice, and comfortable as low as -30
Be careful with the disposable warmers, they can give you a burn. Tested in the same setup, I am a very solid sleeper when tired.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:13 AM
Banned

You haven't lived until you have a pressure crack run through your tent at 2:00AM with a sonic boom then your suddenly full boxers.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:42 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
You haven't lived until you have a pressure crack run through your tent at 2:00AM with a sonic boom then your suddenly full boxers.

I hear ya!! I have had that happen before ( the pressure crack not the poo lol ) and it is very unnerving .
Old 10-31-2017, 06:44 AM

I do have the sunflowers and the mats for the floors already . I will be getting a cot of some sort possibly a big buddy heater when they go on sale. As far as a sleeping bags I just picked up two -28 bags . I am also thinking about getting tent fans, that should help to keep the tent a bit dryer .
What are you guys using for CO2 monitors? Where is a good place to get them and what kind of dollars are they ?
I don't know about you guys but I am getting pumped for the hard water season!!
Old 10-31-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
The best is when you are sleeping on the ice early season when ice is only around 5 inches thick and it is 30+ km winds and the ice is moving so much the water is sloshing in the holes and ice is cracking like thunder all around you but you are too scared to try to move the tent or go outside because of the wind and -30 windchill... Best part being 20+ kms from the vehicle in the middle of nowhere.

Sure glad the ice...
Old 10-31-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Its even better when your in a quincey on an alpine lake. Those cracks end up echoing off the mountains and sound like rolling thunder.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-31-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasoninc View Post
I am thinking of doing some overnight ice fishing this winter . What are people doing for heat in there accommodations over night ? I have an Eskimo 6i tent I would be using . Looking for safe reliable heat .
Booze....Lots of booze
Old 10-31-2017, 06:40 PM

I bought the little 12 volt fan today from the autowrecker one that school buses have at the windshield. They are a two speed unit a wire for each speed and ground through the base. They put out a lot of air movement and i was thinking a rheostat.

This is for the little ice shack -camper.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
I do have the sunflowers and the mats for the floors already . I will be getting a cot of some sort possibly a big buddy heater when they go on sale. As far as a sleeping bags I just picked up two -28 bags . I am also thinking about getting tent fans, that should help to keep the tent a bit dryer .
What are you guys using for CO2 monitors? Where is a good place to get them and what kind of dollars are they ?
Cheapest decent ones you can get at Costco
Old 11-04-2017, 09:14 AM

Love the idea for staying late and starting early. Set up a jaw jacker and wake up if it goes off.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Yupp happened to us👍
Crazy experience 8". Crack opened up one night on cold lakeright past the tent.
So we fished the crack lol trolled
Old 11-05-2017, 07:23 AM

Freaky!!
Old 11-05-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
You probably mean CO monitor? CT had portable ones, I got one form them, but never saw anything but 0's on it fishing or at home, not even sure if it works
Old 11-05-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
You probably mean CO monitor? CT had portable ones, I got one form them, but never saw anything but 0's on it fishing or at home, not even sure if it works
i had the same issue so i tried the replaced one by backing the truck up to the garage to make sure it worked lol
Old 11-05-2017, 04:09 PM

A fairly safe reliable heat source for overnight in the ice fishing tent is a big woman on each side of you under the blankets.

There is a small stove called the Yukon stove. It was US military issue M1950 but you can still buy them. You just need a smoke hole stitched into your ice tent. The stove pipes fit inside the stove for transport so its compact. There is an optional siphon attachment for this stove that has a drip tube valve. The valve is put into a military style jerry can of regular gasoline. The drip tube drips gasoline into a fire burner that fits into the hole on top of the stove. I used one for a few seasons and just burnt wood. It has to be stoked more often because it is small but generates heat quicker on start up, especially in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yukon stove.jpg (21.9 KB, 56 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Banned

Default Three dog night

Just like the Inuit.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter View Post
There is a small stove called the Yukon stove. It was US military issue M1950 but you can still buy them.
This is what I use in my ice shack. Mine is modern, but same design. Probably 33% larger. Works great. Can cook on it. Easy to light and keeps things toasty.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:56 PM

I converted a cargo trailer to an ice shack and have a hydroflame propane tent trailer furnace (thermostat controlled) stalled into it. It works reasonably well. I need to do some maintenance on it to stop the fan from squealing, but it keeps it warm. I've done 3-4 day trips in -40c and havent gone through a 20lb propane tank. But just in case, I've got 2 20lbs on the trailer.

Two 6v batteries give me plenty of power for whatever I need and the queen sized bed that folds down from the wall once the ATV is parked outside make it pretty comfortable.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Lol.

That is so true. Had it happen during the day and needed new shorts.

It is so loud. Crack went right through my hole and water started pouring up fast like I was sinking.

When I jumped out of my tent I was surrounded by cars and trucks. At 14 inches of ice I buggered off.

Reminded me to not toss my catch out to freeze cause apparently everyone thinks that is where all the fish in the lake are.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-06-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Don't forget good mat or mattress for your cot. If you get big buddy heater try to bring it up 6" of the ice so you don't end up with water pool around it. Fans are very good idea. I use cheap battery operated fan/light combos form Cabalas. They work very well and dual purpose.