Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2018, 07:05 AM

Default French Bay (Cold LK)

I have heard you can keep the boat in the water overnight at French bay, true?
The PP is quite a hassle with one person a truck and camper and an old dog. Love the lake but trailering the boat every night and leaving the unit in the parking lot all day isn't great .
Old 07-23-2018, 07:38 PM

French bay campground by the ski hill is very shallow..
three years back my front bumper was 5 ft past shore before my boat would slide off my trailer.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You can keep your boat in the water anywhere you want, anchored and then dingy to shore, throw dingy in truck then go home. No cost.

A few do it all year round and have no issues. Asked one fella and he said there are people sitting in campers etc so no one really knows who owns what which keeps the crooks honest.

Bay is shallow.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 AM

Use three feet of anchor rope length for every vertical foot of water when you anchor. Just remember that your boat could swing around in circle and bang into any other boat that is anchored in the immediate area. Keep the boat motors leg up so that it isn’t dragging in the rocks as well. If you screw up or the anchor line fails, you could be in for a long swim or the boat could be beat up on the rocks and swamped.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:38 PM

I have a 17ft Lund, I leave my boat in the water overnight all the time. Just use the hip waders to get in and out of the boat. There may be better ways but what I’ve always done is anchor with the bow pointing towards the lake and then a use a second rope attached to the back and bring it to shore and tie it to a tree or something. I have had minor anchor slippage in some real big storms so I’ve now attached 6ft of chain to the anchor and then the rope. Haven’t had a problem since. Probably better ways but it’s worked for me.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:27 PM

Brave people , I worry about my boat in my campsite
Old 07-24-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
I agree. I would never leave my boat in the lake for security reasons plus I need to charge my batteries for all my electronics every night. I normally park my boat right next to my bed of my trailer and keep my ears open all night
Old 07-24-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capper View Post
I have a 17ft Lund, I leave my boat in the water overnight all the time. Just use the hip waders to get in and out of the boat. There may be better ways but what I’ve always done is anchor with the bow pointing towards the lake and then a use a second rope attached to the back and bring it to shore and tie it to a tree or something. I have had minor anchor slippage in some real big storms so I’ve now attached 6ft of chain to the anchor and then the rope. Haven’t had a problem since. Probably better ways but it’s worked for me.
I used to do that at Jarvis bay on sylvan lake when we had a motor home . no need to launch boat ever day and move the motor home. it works great was thru a few storms and no problems.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Agreed.
My friend left his boat anchored there in 6ft of water for 2 nights. On the second night some punk decided to board the boat, pull the anchor for him, and place it nicely up on the bow.
In the morning he found his boat bouncing on the rocks over by the ski hill.
Takes 5 minutes to launch and 5 to recover. Or weeks to fix your hull. Pretty simple decision if you ask me.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

If you secure it properly as the seasoned vets do there should be no issues but as with life there are no for sures....when we go to remote areas we only launch once, sometimes we are many miles away for lengths of time.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...