Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 12:35 AM

Default Shed Hunting Thread

Some May think it is a little early but i have been hearing the deer are shedding early this year in some areas so i figured i would start up a shed hunting thread dedicated to the shed hunters and whoever else enjoys seeing other peoples finds post your pictures and stories for everyone to enjoy!
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 AM

I've been also hearing of guys finding sheds already,I'm going to start keeping a eye out for them now.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:04 AM

I have never looked for sheds before. I usually find them by accident. I have a half dozen sheds and would like to make a few gizmoz and widgets with them but need to find a few dozen more before I begin.

So, exactly how does one "shed hunt".
Old 12-19-2010, 09:19 AM

Shed hunting it pretty simple...I ride the horse or walk regular deer trails looking for sheds focusing on where deer spend most of there time.. I usually find 30 plus sheds per year most being along fence lines between bedding areas and feeding sources. The bigger bucks generally loose there horns first. Out here in East central Alberta I have never found a shed before Jan 19 but like you guys here of people finding sheds from the 15 of Dec on. I dont get too excited until the 1st of March
Old 12-19-2010, 10:49 AM

i find about 140 sheds a year and you can find them around bush edges, bedding areas, trails and out in the open where the deer feed.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:55 AM

I'm looking forward to breaking out my secret weapon, if she is ready to go by spring. She is almost 14 weeks old now, and is making decent progress so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtiX...yer_detailpage
Old 12-19-2010, 11:04 PM

I put out a shed collecting box today. Put some rolled oats and alfalfa in it, and sprinkled Deer Cocain all around the area. I put it amongst some well used deer trails where they are going to eat in a field. I may also go place some hay bale cores at the spot for them to thrash about. I will also do lots of walking, too. Hopefully I come across something.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 AM

Default PIcs

Any pics of the shed box?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:02 AM

When would a guy expect to see moose sheds hitting the ground in the southern part of the province?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 AM

Went up to the cabin about 1 1/2 hrs north of Saskatoon this weekend. Went for a bit of a walk and found a fresh nice 4 point right side antler. Couldn't find the left. Wife thought I should have walked more !!!!!!!!!!! Have never found them this early yet.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
When would a guy expect to see moose sheds hitting the ground in the southern part of the province?
From now 'til March. First found moose shed of the year that I've heard of was in mid November!!! I found a whitetail shed December 11th!

http://www.ferniergc.com/
Old 12-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
I put out a shed collecting box today. Put some rolled oats and alfalfa in it, and sprinkled Deer Cocain all around the area. I put it amongst some well used deer trails where they are going to eat in a field. I may also go place some hay bale cores at the spot for them to thrash about. I will also do lots of walking, too. Hopefully I come across something.
I would like to see a pic of the box too,I've been trying to come up with some thing for that too.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Next time I go out to it I will take my camera and snap a couple pics. It is not as elaborate as some I have heard about. I just took a large tin box, put one board running across the middle, and then one board running the opposite direction on one side. That way the bigger bucks have a spot to stick their heads in, yet smaller squares so if a smaller buck sticks his head in his antlers have a better chance of getting rubbed off. It is the first one I have put together, so I have no idea how it will work.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 PM

I made one to resemble a picnic table. Works great! I will get pics for you soon. The only problem i ever had was a big bull moose got wedged in there an broke it up pretty good!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:41 PM

Found first shed of the year today!!!!!!!

large old 3 point in buddies yard next to grain pile. Cusp has to be 6+ inchs in circumfrence. He has about 50-60 deer feeding in his yard every night. I'll be back lookn for more there for sure

AL
Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
I'm looking forward to breaking out my secret weapon, if she is ready to go by spring. She is almost 14 weeks old now, and is making decent progress so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtiX...yer_detailpage
Hilarious! I can't believe how big she's gotten in the last couple of weeks seen I seen her last. She's gonna be a champ man!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
Next time I go out to it I will take my camera and snap a couple pics. It is not as elaborate as some I have heard about. I just took a large tin box, put one board running across the middle, and then one board running the opposite direction on one side. That way the bigger bucks have a spot to stick their heads in, yet smaller squares so if a smaller buck sticks his head in his antlers have a better chance of getting rubbed off. It is the first one I have put together, so I have no idea how it will work.
I put out a larger mineral tub and put bungy cords across it 2 spots.Not sure if it will work either.I went out looking for sheds this afternoon and never seen a thing
Old 12-26-2010, 04:15 AM

Default ?

Anyone having any luck
Old 12-26-2010, 04:21 AM

We have over 20 bucks that we get pics of almost daily on our tcams. As of the other day everyone still had headgear except one spike had dropped a anlter.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:03 PM

here is a couple of sheds I found.last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00217-20101125-1225.jpg (77.2 KB, 1160 views)
Old 12-26-2010, 04:39 PM

i wonder who would win in a fight between those antlers?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timba View Post
I put out a larger mineral tub and put bungy cords across it 2 spots.Not sure if it will work either.I went out looking for sheds this afternoon and never seen a thing
bungy cords might not be the best thing as they could get tangled in them something solid would be better i would think.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Default Deer Sheds.

Went out for a drive 2 nights ago and seen probally 30 deer feeding in one field. Seen at least a dozen bucks, ranging from 100" to one about 170" The most of them were around the 130 to 150 range. I glassed them all and i noticed 2 of them had already lost one side. I went out today for a little look and found one of them around the 55-60". I cant believe how early they are losing them. Sure hope i find that big guys sheds. Seen one tonight about 155-160 range, Never seen him b-4. Its amazing how and where they come from when there is good grits.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Default sheds

Im heading out first thing tommorow morning to change memory cards and batteries in my trailcams.I found a matched set last year at the end of december.The trailcams are a great asset as then you know that the deer have started shedding in the area. With the amount of snow we have this year a guy will have to pretty lucky to see them right now.Good luck, Ill Report back tommorow.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Default sheds

All the bucks on my cameras are still packing horns.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:53 PM

I put out some 5 gallon pales with oats in the bottom. The theory is that if a buck is going to lose his antlers, he will knock them off on the rim when he shoves his head in to eat. And if the antlers won't fall off, at least then I won't have the worry about a deer getting stuck in my contraption.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM

Default Mule deer

Anyone know if mule deer drop at same time as whitetail or perhaps later more like elk.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
Anyone know if mule deer drop at same time as whitetail or perhaps later more like elk.
The majority of the time they drop drop a bit later. But they will drop in the same time frame as well Dec-Mar
Old 12-29-2010, 03:23 PM

I'm not sure if everyone would prefer a seperate thread for this or not, but when I get back to my regular computer with all of my pics, I'm thinking I'll try to kick things up a notch by throwing up a few pics of last years sheds. If anyone else wants to do the same, we can keep this thread entertaining until 2010-2011's sheds start coming.

BTW, I checked my trailcam the other day, and all the mulies on it are still packing racks.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:05 PM

I found this one this morning
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00082.jpg (30.7 KB, 1143 views)