Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-30-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
The thread is titled "high end scopes"
So in your opinion what price point is realistic quality and what price starts to see diminishing returns? Seems that leupold is a quality choice considering how popular it is.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
So in your opinion what price point is realistic quality and what price starts to see diminishing returns? Seems that leupold is a quality choice considering how popular it is.
Just poking fun at the leupold fans. I actually own 2 or 3 (maybe 4, can't remember) myself myself. I thought the popularity arose from the warranty center being in Okotoks?

That being said, if I'm buying a "high end" scope, for me it is swaro or zeiss. Just my preference, there are numerous other choices out there.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:16 PM

I have owned a couple of Leupold scopes. I had a VX-3i that I upgraded to a Leica, and I had a VX-5HD for a while as well, I think it went with a rifle.

The VX-3i is sort of an anachronism in the scope world today, as is the Swarovski Z3 line; in that they are capped turret, lightweight, 1 inch tube, single purpose hunting scopes with generally quite simple reticles. Of scopes of this type, the Swarovski and Leupold are probably the best quality options still on the market, though Vortex has their Razor HD LH line which hangs with them in both cofiguration, and quality.
Also of this type and still on market are Nikon Monarch 3 (recently discontinued maybe?), Burris Fullfield II, Vortex Diamondback, Bushnell Elite etc. though these are a step down in quality in my opinion based on build quality, eye relief (especially Vortex Diamondback...*shudders*), durability, and so on. I realise that the Nikon Monarch 3 is considered good glass, I have owned two of recent manufacture, but they fit in with the above scopes better than the VX-3i and Z3 in my experience.

The Leupold VX-5 line and up are of a more current style, exposed elevation turrets that are meant to be spun, 30mm tube, illumination, some more complex reticle options, and all of the other add-ons of questionable utililty, but proven marketability. In this category of scope, the VX-5 I owned was excellent optically, with good eye relief and eyebox, but fell a bit short on build quality when compared with the higher end scopes that it is competing with.
For the price the VX-5's were selling at a year ago, they were exceptionally good value, but the price has been moved up by something like 20%, and the value isn't quite what it was.

When I say build quality, compare a new Zeiss Conquest V$ to a Conquest V6. They are built to mimic each other in style and features, but the turrets, fit and finish, and glass are all noticeably better on the V6, it's not just a question of better glass.

I have ended up with Leica 30mm illuminated scopes, as the build quality is great, they offer the best contrast that I've seen in the class, they aren't too big and are still unmistakably "hunting scopes" rather than dual purpose abominations of compromise like the Zeiss V4 and V6, and quite a bit better value than an illuminated, 30mm Swarovski, be it a Z6i or Z8i. The Leupold VX-5 was my second choice at the previous price point, though at the current pricing I would have no hesitation in going Leica Visus, or the new Fortis 6 if it can be found.

Swarovski has a cachet that is undeniable, they have become the mark of quality in a hunting scope in this neck of the woods, and probably have better resale than any scope in the high end class. I think I would buy a Z3 if I was going traditional, a 3.5-10-42 and a pure hunting rifle would be sweet.

Swarovski also has excellent illuminated 30mm, high zoom scopes, but they are in the price range of a Schmidt and Bender Polar, Zeiss Victory, Leica Magnus, and I have never owned a scope in that class.

I know next to nothing about tactical type scopes, and am not likely to ever learn much about them either, so Nightforce, Vortex Razor, S&B PMII et al. will be for others to comment on.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:04 AM

I just picked up a VX6HD 4-24x52 TMOA. Seems nice, but I won't know for sure until my gun is built and I get to shoot with it. As mentioned I don't think you can go wrong with a NF. Other than the weight. I have no experience with the Tangent Theta but look into them.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:31 AM
Banned

It’s important to know what the intended use for the rifle/scope is. Each scope has their strengtgs and weaknesses. I chose a swaro x5i for my rifle because of the magnification range, clairity, turret, weight, reticle combination it offered. For a hunting rifle I like the 3-18x and I don’t like objectives over 50mm. The turret is awesome on the x5 as well and has proven to be extremely precise. Kahles k25i would have been my 2nd choice for a Hunting scope but it only goes down to 5x. I think March makes the lightest in class. Nightforce atacr seems overkill for civilian use, high quality but over engineered for your average hunter imo.