Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 PM
Banned

Default Is this a good moose gun?

Just out of curiosity why do some people compare how one chambering is better than another when it comes to shooting moose?
Out of all my hunting experience moose are the easiest to kill. Their will to live seems much less than a elk. 95% of the moose I've shot have been under 100 yards. I do chuckle when I read that 243 is to small for moose and a 45-70 is just right.
My thoughts are what is a good elk chambering. A elk gun will kill a moose just as good as a moose gun but myself personally would not necessarily use a moose gun on elk. Your elk gun will also be used every year whereas your moose gun might only get used every 3 years at best due to the draws.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:33 PM

so what are you looking for someone to agree the 243 cal is too small and the 45-70 is just right do to the fact you might only get used it every 3 years at best due to the draws. help me understand
Old 06-26-2016, 04:47 PM

The only animal I have ever been charged by after shooting it in the money spot was a bull moose I was using a 338. The cartridge size per animal argument will never end. Anything can happen and nothing can happen as well.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
The only animal I have ever been charged by after shooting it in the money spot was a bull moose I was using a 338. The cartridge size per animal argument will never end. Anything can happen and nothing can happen as well.
just wondering the result of the charge .. did the bull get to you .. and would you do it again with a 243 in hand ....
Old 06-26-2016, 05:26 PM

He didn't get me, my dad used to shoot moose with 308 all the time in bc I'm sure a 243 could do the job
Old 06-26-2016, 06:28 PM

25-06 at 275yrds...about the same as a .243

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2016, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
so what are you looking for someone to agree the 243 cal is too small and the 45-70 is just right do to the fact you might only get used it every 3 years at best due to the draws. help me understand
No. Just wondering why a guns killing power is based on a moose?
Old 06-26-2016, 09:39 PM

I think when people ask. They plan on shooting moose. Why ask if a gun is a good elk when the target is moose?

I don't ask what shotgun gauge is best for turkey when I'm going grouse hunting.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Just out of curiosity why do some people compare how one chambering is better than another when it comes to shooting moose?
Out of all my hunting experience moose are the easiest to kill. Their will to live seems much less than a elk. 95% of the moose I've shot have been under 100 yards. I do chuckle when I read that 243 is to small for moose and a 45-70 is just right.
My thoughts are what is a good elk chambering. A elk gun will kill a moose just as good as a moose gun but myself personally would not necessarily use a moose gun on elk. Your elk gun will also be used every year whereas your moose gun might only get used every 3 years at best due to the draws.
Where have you read that a 45-70 is just right for moose?
Old 06-26-2016, 11:08 PM
Banned

45/70 is just right for a moose
Old 06-26-2016, 11:20 PM

What ever rifle you shoot your moose with is a good moose gun.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:24 PM

Moose are really not hard to kill at all. My fastest moose take downs were with 270win and 270wsm.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:15 AM

nice moose
Old 06-27-2016, 05:38 AM

Any caliber that is legal to hunt with is a decent moose gun. You may have to hit him 2 or 3 times as a lot of times there is no reaction to the first shot and it takes a while for them to realize they are dead and then fall over.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:47 AM
Gone Hunting

In some countries there are clear standards regarding energy requirement for given species.
In Poland:
Minimum for hunting big game with rifle is 1000 J energy at 100 Meters from the barrel.
Moose hunting is legal with rifle delivering 2500 J at 100 M.
For Red Deer, Muflon, Fallow Deer, Wild Boar 2000 J at 100 M is minimum.

2500 J Joules equals 1843 foot pounds.
2000 J = 1475 ft lb
1000 J = 737 ft lb.

243 Winch with 100 gr Partiton has 1539 ft lb at 100 y so NOT LEGAL for moose.
Same round is legal for Red Deer (Stag) muflon, Fallow Deer or Wild Boar.
It could be used for Roe Deer ( minimum 1000 J at 100 M)

Elk is tougher to kill than moose and Red Deer is much smaller, so I think that
projectile should have min 2500 J at 100.

25-06 with 115 Nosler partiton would be legal for Moose with 2012 ft lb at 100y.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY

Last edited by Andrzej; 06-27-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
In some countries there are clear standards regarding energy requirement for given species.
In Poland:
Minimum for hunting big game with rifle is 1000 J energy at 100 Meters from the barrel.
Moose hunting is legal with rifle delivering 2500 J at 100 M.
For Red Deer, Muflon, Fallow Deer, Wild Boar 2000 J at 100 M is minimum.

2500 J Joules equals 1843 foot pounds.
2000 J = 1475 ft lb
1000 J = 737 ft lb.

243 Winch with 100 gr Partiton has 1539 ft lb at 100 y so NOT LEGAL for moose.
Same round is legal for Red Deer (Stag) muflon, Fallow Deer or Wild Boar.
It could be used for Roe Deer ( minimum 1000 J at 100 M)

Elk is tougher to kill than moose and Red Deer is much smaller, so I think that
projectile should have min 2500 J at 100.

25-06 with 115 Nosler partiton would be legal for Moose with 2012 ft lb at 100y.
Sounds like an example of the "EU rules for everything" the Brits hated so much. Well if they have a rule it must be right. So my .30-06 shooting a 180g bullet really only has an effective range for elk of about 200 yards and change... in Poland. Interesting.

I'm sure caliber counts somewhat, don't get me wrong. But I recall when I first started, selecting the "right" caliber/round seemed so important. I poured over info online to decide what advantages a .280 might hold over a .270, a 30-06 over a .308. Crazy. After getting a little experience under my belt, and reading the experiences of lots of people here with way more experience than me, I think like that a lot less now.

Last edited by Okotokian; 06-27-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 AM

243 for moose is not suitable....reason...because I need another rifle and it's a good excuse to go get myself a new one

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2016, 11:48 AM

The best gun for a moose or any animal for that matter is the gun you can shoot the best. The gun where you have control over the recoil, the gun that you are the most confident with.

For me this is the 7MM Rem mag. I've shot WT Deer, Mule Deer, Moose, Elk, Black Bear, coyotes, wolf, small game, grouse, etc. My 7MM is an extension of me as a hunter, I have confidence and it just feels good to shoot this rifle.

BW
Old 06-27-2016, 11:56 AM
Banned

If I was strictly a moose hunter I'd probably use my 243. What I'm trying to figure out is how is it that many people figure a moose needs a big gun? My experience has shown me that any legal big game chambering is a perfect moose gun. I personally don't hunt with a 243 but prefer my 338. Not because my 243 won't do what my 338 does but I've got more confidence in my 338.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
The best gun for a moose or any animal for that matter is the gun you can shoot the best.
I don't know how much you can generalize from this statement, but I once read a quote from a guide saying he liked to see a client show up with an older .30-06 because he figured the guy would know how to shoot it well.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I don't know how much you can generalize from this statement, but I once read a quote from a guide saying he liked to see a client show up with an older .30-06 because he figured the guy would know how to shoot it well.
I bought my 7MM when I was 17 years old practiced lots and hunted lots with this gun. I went with the 7MM based on balistics and the fact that I guy I knew had a 300 win mag, that could walk on water. Couldn't stand this guys rhetoric and constant boasting of his 7MM. I hunted hard and had great success early on with this rifle. Over the years I had .308, .270. and a 25.06, all good guns and calibers, however my favorite has always been my 7MM, and always will be. I don't have any of the other calibers anymore, and haven't hunted for a decade now. But I'm sure if I went to the range I'd still be able to punch out tight groups with this gun in short order. It will and has harvested any game I've wanted to.

BW
Old 06-27-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
If I was strictly a moose hunter I'd probably use my 243. What I'm trying to figure out is how is it that many people figure a moose needs a big gun? My experience has shown me that any legal big game chambering is a perfect moose gun. I personally don't hunt with a 243 but prefer my 338. Not because my 243 won't do what my 338 does but I've got more confidence in my 338.
OK . I just have to ask ... What is it about your .338 that gives you more confidence than you have with your .243 if your .243 will do what your .338 can ?
Old 06-27-2016, 02:51 PM

Now, I realize this may seem like dumb question to some, but why do some folks constantly advocate calibres like the 243 for moose, elk etc. when there are obviously "better" calibres out there? Because the 243 etc is your only rifle? Because you have a "better" calibre and are trying to prove something? Or? Honest question, not to start arguments...

Quote:
Old 06-27-2016, 03:10 PM

Because of variables such as wind, unseen twigs, sudden animal movement, and just plain less than stellar shots, it makes the most sense to go with the largest caliber you can shoot comfortabley. Not to say a .243 won't lay the smack down on elk, but when something goes awry with the shot, the larger calibers will be more forgiving. So shooting a caliber on the larger size of your comfort zone makes by far the most sense. If you can drive tacks with both your .243 and your .300, then the .300 is a better choice on your moose/grizz hunt.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:11 PM

I shot a moose at 320 yard with a 300wsm didn't take a step
I shot a mountain goat at 90 yards with the same gun, the goat took 1 more to put down .

The goat was the strongest or tuffest animal I've shot
Old 06-27-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Because of variables such as wind, unseen twigs, sudden animal movement, and just plain less than stellar shots, it makes the most sense to go with the largest caliber you can shoot comfortabley. Not to say a .243 won't lay the smack down on elk, but when something goes awry with the shot, the larger calibers will be more forgiving. So shooting a caliber on the larger size of your comfort zone makes by far the most sense. If you can drive tacks with both your .243 and your .300, then the .300 is a better choice on your moose/grizz hunt.
I agree with this.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Because of variables such as wind, unseen twigs, sudden animal movement, and just plain less than stellar shots, it makes the most sense to go with the largest caliber you can shoot comfortabley.
that's right and may i add you have to know your limits with the fire arm you use may it be a 243cal - 270 etc. not everyone need' s a 300 cal to kill a moose etc.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
OK . I just have to ask ... What is it about your .338 that gives you more confidence than you have with your .243 if your .243 will do what your .338 can ?
I couldn't say for sure. As a kid growing up i used a 243 for moose and deer hunting. I graduated to a 30-06 that was mine (as in the first gun I've ever bought). It did the same thing as the 243 did. Can't say if it was better at killing or not because the results were the same. I started running into problems when I moved to where I'm at now and took up elk hunting. The 30-06 didnt seem to have enough horse power for the elk I was shooting. I helped a buddy out of a bind and he gave me the 338 I shoot now. Since then I use my 338 as my go to gun.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
Now, I realize this may seem like dumb question to some, but why do some folks constantly advocate calibres like the 243 for moose, elk etc. when there are obviously "better" calibres out there? Because the 243 etc is your only rifle? Because you have a "better" calibre and are trying to prove something? Or? Honest question, not to start arguments...
I think you're missing my whole question.
Why do people refer a rifles killing power to how well it works on moose?
Now to answer your questions which I assume are directed at me. I do like a 243 so I guess I'm a advocate of it. Yes there are better chambering so but it all depends on which side of the fence you're on. Anyone can shoot a 243. From your granddaughter to your grandmother. Not so with something bigger and better.
I've got a few rifles. 243 being the smallest I have for legal big game hunting.
Depends some might say I have worse calibers some might say I got the better ones. I like to say I got the bases covered. Got nothing to prove either.
Or? I don't know how to a answer this but "else"
Old 06-27-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I think you're missing my whole question.

Why do people refer a rifles killing power to how well it works on moose?

Now to answer your questions which I assume are directed at me. I do like a 243 so I guess I'm a advocate of it. Yes there are better chambering so but it all depends on which side of the fence you're on. Anyone can shoot a 243. From your granddaughter to your grandmother. Not so with something bigger and better.

I've got a few rifles. 243 being the smallest I have for legal big game hunting.

Depends some might say I have worse calibers some might say I got the better ones. I like to say I got the bases covered. Got nothing to prove either.

Or? I don't know how to a answer this but "else"

No, the questions weren't directed at you or anyone else in particular.

However, thank you for the frank reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk