Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-02-2014, 06:38 PM

Default Fletching replacement?

I'm wondering if fletching has a life span and from time to time needs to replaced. Such as, if they get a bit mangled or wrinkled.

Could this effect my arrow flight? I'll post a picture of my fletching when i get home. They're pretty old as they were the ones my father-in-law had before me.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:45 PM

If they're the newer style (like blazers), just take a blow dryer to them and they should straighten right out.
If they're the older style clear ones, they're pretty well done.
I have found that badly curled or torn fletches make a huge difference in flight.
I have been using the NAP Quick-Fletch. I love them and wouldn't go back to single vanes ever again.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:07 PM

Ya i noticed what happened is my arrow looked like it really spiraled to the left pretty bad. And my groups are pretty decent at 20yards, but at 30 the inconsistency is just maddening!! If it was the fletching, would 10yards make a difference?

I've double checked my anchoring, and everything. I'm doing the same thing at 30 that i do at 20.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:16 PM

These are the best pics i could get. If i wanted to change them just for the heck of it, how hard is it to do?

Can i do it myself or should i take them to a shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141102_221215.jpg (14.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141102_221143.jpg (13.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141102_221050.jpg (12.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141102_221057.jpg (12.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-03-2014, 12:45 AM

If I can do it you can do it! All you need is a fletching jig.. a knife to strip the old ones off and a little bit of glue
Old 11-03-2014, 12:48 AM

If you want I can post you some step by step pictures?!!
World is a much simpler place when you fletch your own.. I used to just buy pre fletched arrows and had them cut and inserts put in... until I had a bucket of arrows with messed up fletching
Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 AM

I'm wondering if it's worth it now as im down to about 3 of these arrows. Lol. Tried to shoot with my shades on. I thought "I've seen people do it... can't be that bad..". all i heard was the bow.. and a whisper of grass way in the distance. lol. Guess shades do change a little bit.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:31 AM

Hopefully i can find the arrow. But I'm thinking of trying out the FMJ. It's good to know with a few steps, i can just change them.

But I'm still curious if the wrinkled fletching would make a big difference from 20 to 30 yards?

I realize I'm still a work in progress, but i feel pretty consistent enough for my shots to be so drastically spred out from a 10 yard difference.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 AM

Pending on the rest for example with an Ugly Cookie [WB] its going to affect flight...less on a drop away....regardless looking at those its time to replace...once set up its very inexpensive, quick and easy...

To answer question yes it could affect flight..however if all three arrows in a group are off doing the same thing or the group is widening greatly you have other issues...

looking at pics you have clearance issues...most likely to an arrow porposing or fishtailing as arrow leaves bow/rest

Replacing vanes helps arrow flight...but doesnt solve other issues

Neil
Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Pending on the rest for example with an Ugly Cookie [WB] its going to affect flight...less on a drop away....regardless looking at those its time to replace...once set up its very inexpensive, quick and easy...

To answer question yes it could affect flight..however if all three arrows in a group are off doing the same thing or the group is widening greatly you have other issues...

looking at pics you have clearance issues...most likely to an arrow porposing or fishtailing as arrow leaves bow/rest

Replacing vanes helps arrow flight...but doesnt solve other issues

Neil

Thanks lost. I think my clearance is ok.... i have a 2 prong drop away rest... doesn't seem like the fletching would be touching...but maybe? if so, what would be the solution? Adjusting of the rest?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:06 AM

I should also add that my arrows don't enter the target straight all the time. Almost seems every other shot goes in at a bit of an angle. Sometimes a nasty angle.

Maybe i need a new rest?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
I should also add that my arrows don't enter the target straight all the time. Almost seems every other shot goes in at a bit of an angle. Sometimes a nasty angle.

Maybe i need a new rest?
A good sign of an issue ... your arrow is either fishtailing or porposing...or oscillating which is both...
you dont need a new rest ...but have to tune existing one to arrow and bow...timing, clearance, rest OC etc ...

If help is needed ...most PRO shops will have lots of time to help you out around now...

Neil
Old 11-03-2014, 09:46 AM

Awesome. Thanks so much for yalls patience! Like I've said before my list is a mile long of questions. I'm very eager to learn as much of archery as possible.

The bow that im currently shooting is just an old browning mirage handmedown. But I'd like to keep it functioning as much as possible for a backup bow if needed. Will be getting my new bow setup asap.

I'm excited to get this fixed. The inconsistency is driving me nuts! At 20yards i shot an awesome 2" group... next round was all over the map! I'm still learning obviously... but thats pretty extreme.

Last edited by SonofDixie; 11-03-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
Awesome. Thanks so much for yalls patience! Like I've said before my list is a mile long of questions. I'm very eager to learn as much of archery as possible.

The bow that im currently shooting is just an old browning mirage handmedown. But I'd like to keep it functioning as much as possible for a backup bow if needed. Will be getting my new bow setup asap.

I'm excited to get this fixed. The inconsistency is driving me nuts! At 20yards i shot an awesome 2" group... next round was all over the map! I'm still learning obviously... but thats pretty extreme.
If you can shoot one group 2" than next all over it most likely will be 50% tune and 50% adjusting that nut behind the string....lol meaning the shooter and form...

Neil
Old 11-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
If you can shoot one group 2" than next all over it most likely will be 50% tune and 50% adjusting that nut behind the string....lol meaning the shooter and form...

Neil
LOL. Yes.... thats a very obvious one for sure. Just wanting to make sure i have my bow setup properly, to help figure out the nut behind the string lol