Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2009, 10:48 AM

Default pigeon lake, the good and bad !

the good, my oldest daughter and I went to pigeon lk on sat., we had a great time, caught a whole school of fish, and bounced around in the windy and wavy conditions, we both filled our draw tags, so it was great.

The other good part was the volunteer at the provincial park boat launch, very helpful/ frioendly and kept everything moving nicely,...... i can remember the zoo that boat launch is when they aren't there, told him thanks very much for doing a great job! he smiled and said thanks for being able to drive with a trailler!!! lol ( what a circus some days)!

Then the bad,...i didn't feel like sitting with the big crowd right at the provincial park , so we wandered a bit til we found some fish off a weedy flat in about 12ft. perfect, nice ,quiet, a couple boats trolled by , caught a few and soon anchored as well, all was good, everyone was well spaced out(100 yrds or so) .... then it happened, the next boat comes in at full speed, right into the middle of us, and throws his anchor in, less than 40 ft from my boat, just about on top of our slip bobbers....i pointed to our bobbers and gave him a shrug, he told me and my daughter to go f#&@ ourselves ,a lakes a public place and he can fish anywhere he wants !

We moved a 100 yrds away(quietly) and still caught a bunch a fish, my daughter could only say "what a jerk" ! I think we got the last laugh, he never did catch a fish in that spot!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:56 AM

Ya, that's the problem with Pigeon, way to crowded for my liking & never a lack of jerks. I haven't been out there for a few years but when fishing about 200 yards off the boat launch some dork in a dual engine speed boat (made for open water) would fly up & down the lake between the people fishing & the shore showing off his toy all day.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
the good, my oldest daughter and I went to pigeon lk on sat., we had a great time, caught a whole school of fish, and bounced around in the windy and wavy conditions, we both filled our draw tags, so it was great.

The other good part was the volunteer at the provincial park boat launch, very helpful/ frioendly and kept everything moving nicely,...... i can remember the zoo that boat launch is when they aren't there, told him thanks very much for doing a great job! he smiled and said thanks for being able to drive with a trailler!!! lol ( what a circus some days)!

Then the bad,...i didn't feel like sitting with the big crowd right at the provincial park , so we wandered a bit til we found some fish off a weedy flat in about 12ft. perfect, nice ,quiet, a couple boats trolled by , caught a few and soon anchored as well, all was good, everyone was well spaced out(100 yrds or so) .... then it happened, the next boat comes in at full speed, right into the middle of us, and throws his anchor in, less than 40 ft from my boat, just about on top of our slip bobbers....i pointed to our bobbers and gave him a shrug, he told me and my daughter to go f#&@ ourselves ,a lakes a public place and he can fish anywhere he wants !

We moved a 100 yrds away(quietly) and still caught a bunch a fish, my daughter could only say "what a jerk" ! I think we got the last laugh, he never did catch a fish in that spot!
I was there on Sat as well, fishing was alright, not the best, but still caught many fish untilt the "Hurracane" came

I too don't like fishing the PP spot, way to many people and it seems that the minute they saw your catching a couple they all move within 50 ft from you!! I've seem people fishing no more that 20 ft within each others.

Wife and i like to explore the east side of the lake as there are not very many boats out there. (always have luck trolling rapala)

And they "need" to do something about that boat launch!!

it's so shallow it barely load my boat. that was my only complain.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:06 PM

the big wind did chase the small boats off pretty quick, hee hee, i'm glad i have a bigger boat, i couldn't believe how many people i saw in a couple of 12ft tin boats,(5 each) not much room for a lunch cooler... but the launch is getting real shallow....oh well our tags are filled so we'll go somewhere else next weekend!

P.S like sheephunter has said before anyone who wants to catch a fish in pigeon, just bring minnows!!!!! IT's that easy !