Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-17-2014, 06:23 PM

Default Samick/vista sage 62" recurve.

Hello all, i am getting into bow hunting. I am looking specifically at the samick/vista sage 62"recurve 60lb draw. Just looking for any first-hand experience with the said bow. I have used a compound a hand full of times, looking to go the more traditional route. Its my understanding that the 60"lb draw is more than adequate for fox, deer, coyote, elk, moose, and bear. There does seem to be some information online about choosing draw weights for novice archers. Most say go with 35", others say choose draw weight based on your weight.

How about draw length? Some sites state measure your arm-span then divide by 2.5. Others say use your height?
Any insight is much appreciated.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Default It's all about technique

60 is likely heavy but if you are very mindful of form and listen to your shoulder you can get away with it. Better to be rock solid and shoot well at 40# than struggle at 60.

Check out moebow's YouTube Chanel for a great set of shooting form tutorials. Draw length formulas are only estimates. Go to a shop and try a light bow. They can give you a good measurement.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 PM

Default Poundage

Don't base your draw weight on what you pull with your compound. 60 pounds is a lot for a stick bow, you will shoot more arrows for sure. Unless your compound is 80 pounds I would think twice about 60.
Have you shot one at that draw weight? See if you can try one first, it could lead to bad form if you struggle to pull it. Good luck with your choice, Cheers Roscoe
Old 10-17-2014, 09:41 PM

I shot a few recurves a little while back. One was 40 the other 50 the other 60. I felt more comfortable with the 60, then the 40, the 50 i am still iffy about. I don't own the compound i used to use. It was a lender, 70" Draw at 75% i believe, 30 inch draw length.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
I shot a few recurves a little while back. One was 40 the other 50 the other 60. I felt more comfortable with the 60, then the 40, the 50 i am still iffy about. I don't own the compound i used to use. It was a lender, 70" Draw at 75% i believe, 30 inch draw length.
switching from compound to recurve draw weight is not the same. the peak draw weight of the recurve occurs when the elbow is at an accute angle - meaning you have to use back (rhomboid, trap, lat) more than you would use a compound. Peak draw weight occur earlier in the cycle and you can get away with more involvement of the biceps and deltoids. you are seeking a consistent draw length and anchor point more than anything. If you can get a consistent draw length using a #60 then it should be easier to achieve with a lighter bow. 30" draw is long and with some bows set up for a 28" draw you might find the limbs stack (suddenly resist your draw). This might explain why the heavier bow "feels" better. You might find that a similar design with a lighter weight is easier to get the form right.

Form and technique win the day. Same with guitars, ... If the bow you choose gets you jazzed to shoot often, to practice, to improve, to love picking it up.. then it's right for you. I hope my words help you.

Good luck with it.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:58 PM

I have a 50 lb sage and I got my wife a 40 lb this spring, both are good bows and we shoot them every other day. I did get fast flight strings for them because there are a few reviews showing a decent performance increase. My bow is super quite, I lined the riser pockets, I have string groove silencers, brush buttons and wool string silencers.

60 lb is a lot you will probably be fine with less. You need to go at least 40 lb to hunt in Alberta. I haven't shot a elk or moose with my recurve yet but I don't think it will have a problem as long as I do my part.

Google tuffhead broadheads and Dr Ashby, lots of information for setting up your bow for hunting.

Try a few different length bows at a bow shop, if you try a low poundage bow it will be easier to get a accurate draw length measurement. I have a 27" draw so I can't say forsure but there are reviews out there from people with 30" draws that say the sage is fine. Samick makes other bows that are longer, you might have troubles finding one locally but I got my bow from lancasters and my wifes from 3 rivers archery. It was a bit more expensive having to ship but I couldn't get them locally at the time.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:18 PM

Bass pro in Balzac can get the samick sage ordered for free to them. They charge 139.00$
To get my draw arm up to my jaw where it should sit a 31" draw would be good.
Thanks for the YouTube channels and website to look at. So you guys are saying if i were to get very competent with a 50lb draw it would be fine with large game? As its more about shot placement than bow power?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Bass pro in Balzac can get the samick sage ordered for free to them. They charge 139.00$
To get my draw arm up to my jaw where it should sit a 31" draw would be good.
Thanks for the YouTube channels and website to look at. So you guys are saying if i were to get very competent with a 50lb draw it would be fine with large game? As its more about shot placement than bow power?
Best advice I would give is go to a local archery range if you one available and they will help you determine your needs. 50lbs at a 31" draw length will be plenty for all game if you do your part and you keep the shots to a reasonable distance. Most bows are rated at 28", for example a 50lb bow at 28" might be 56lbs at 31"depending on the manufacturer.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Best advice I would give is go to a local archery range if you one available and they will help you determine your needs. 50lbs at a 31" draw length will be plenty for all game if you do your part and you keep the shots to a reasonable distance. Most bows are rated at 28", for example a 50lb bow at 28" might be 56lbs at 31"depending on the manufacturer.
Good to know thank you. I am the stalk and shoot type, so i wont use a tree stand or ground blinds. Been practicing and i can get within 25-30 yards of most big game. I believe this is a reasonable distance?
Old 10-18-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Good to know thank you. I am the stalk and shoot type, so i wont use a tree stand or ground blinds. Been practicing and i can get within 25-30 yards of most big game. I believe this is a reasonable distance?
Getting within distance is half the battle......I've shot moose at 5 yards and at 40. But I used to shoot thousands of arrows in a year and was pretty confident of my capabilities. Problem is if animal takes a step at that distance, what appeared to be a good shot all of a sudden becomes a very poor shot, so I do not recommend or take shots like that anymore......
Old 10-18-2014, 10:26 PM

mb-MBR.
At the further end of those distances i assume?
thank you all for the responses. Will update when i purchase bow within the next week.