Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-16-2014, 08:46 AM

Default Recurve or Longbow guys/gals on here

I have been shooting compounds for the past 3 or so years and I still love them, but have recently acquired a recurve bow and find it quite addicting. I am already thinking about another and maybe a longbow.
Anyone else here shoot stick bows and what draws you to like them and what do you have?
Old 10-16-2014, 04:52 PM

Default Recurve/longbow

No one?
Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 PM

I started out shooting a recurve. Got into it because that's all my Dad shot. I was able to harvest a cow moose, a bull elk, a bear, a whitetail and a muley buck. I switched over to a compound about 6 years ago, wasn't practicing enough.
I still shoot my recurve occasionally, love the simplicity of it, and you need to be that much closer when hunting with it.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:46 PM

Will be purchasing a samick sage recurve 55lb draw next week. Cheap and kills stuff.
Used to have one, gave it away when it started to crack.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM

Quite a few of us shoot sticks actually.
I started hunting with e Bear Deerslayer in '66, and have never hunted with w compound, always recurves or flat bows, or American long bows.
I haven't been able to shoot defectively for a few years but am now back to where I almost should be - next year .
Cat
Old 10-16-2014, 07:25 PM

I shoot quite a few traditional bows, from modern ILF and custom recurves and Longbows to home made self bows made from Hop Hornbeam, maple, Osage and Ash. Length's vary from 50" to 74" and draw weights from 35 to 60#.
I also do a few reviews for the bowyers on my site www.peteward.com

Pete
Old 10-16-2014, 09:42 PM

Default Traditional

I shoot a longbow and like many on here I've killed a lot of critters with it
Old 10-17-2014, 04:59 AM

I shoot old school Shakespeare recurves, the Ernie Root designs, and a Beaver Creek long bow when my son is not using it.

I enjoy the simplicity of the gear and like holding wood in my hands. The light weight is nice too.

I also shoot a compound.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 AM

I've been shooting longbows since I was 16. I have a couple Jack Kempf bows I really like.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
I've been shooting longbows since I was 16. I have a couple Jack Kempf bows I really like.
I've owned custom bows built by more than a few very famous people
Fedora, Robertson and Bighorn to name a few and have tried lots and people have tried my bows built for me by Jack.
There are some as good, but none better as far as I am concerned !
Cat
Old 10-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Got a few Bear recurves, one Black Widow, a Pittsley Predator and a few customs and a Martin Savannah longbow. All 55 lbs @ 28 ins
Old 10-17-2014, 07:39 AM

I started just last month, with a 50lb bear recurve and a 30 lb samick. Hard to stop shooting them, they are so much fun.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:00 AM

Default Recurves

Bush pilot nailed it....they're hard to stop shooting because they're so much fun. I'm not knockin compounds but there seems to be a "disconnect" with them and they just aren't flat out fun to shoot like a stick and string.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeNomad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Bush pilot nailed it....they're hard to stop shooting because they're so much fun. I'm not knockin compounds but there seems to be a "disconnect" with them and they just aren't flat out fun to shoot like a stick and string.
Heavy , loud, and tough on arrows when roving comes to mind
Cat
Old 10-17-2014, 08:14 AM

I've been shooting a long bow for a little over thirty years and have taken over 30 elk/moose in that time as well as more than a few deer.

The fun factor cannot be beat compared to a compound, especially when stump shooting with a judo point tipped cedar shaft. I mean you're not supposed to miss with something that shoots over 300' per second and has sights, right???? There's nothing like knocking a low hanging leaf off its perch and watching the slow arch of a cedar shaft wisp through the air to its target.

I've shot the same judo tipped shafted for years.....
Old 10-17-2014, 08:37 AM

I probably don't count as I only just started this year, but I have few recurves and a longbow as well. I'm sticking with lower weights as I work on my form and all I'm hunting right now are birds anyways. I started with a 40lb Samick Journey in the spring, but got the bug really bad, so I've also added a vintage Grayling green Bear Kodiak Magnum in 40lb, a Super Kodiak in 50lb for when I'm ready for bigger game, and a Bear Montana longbow in 40lb so I could give that a try as well. I've only shot a few Ruffies and Spruce grouse so far, but I'm having a blast. I tried pheasant hunting on opening day too, and missed my only 2 shots, but still had a ton of fun. It just seems a lot more "sporting" to me to use traditional archery gear, and every harvest or near miss is so much more rewarding to me.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:30 PM

Default Hard to stop shooting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
I started just last month, with a 50lb bear recurve and a 30 lb samick. Hard to stop shooting them, they are so much fun.
That is so true, I am just starting up but the last time out I don't know how many times I said to the dog 6 more and we will go. Can't wait to go again but it is pouring out and has been for days. Cheers Roscoe
Old 10-17-2014, 08:25 PM

I still have my first bow that I bought in '65. A Damon Howatt Purpleheart hunter, wonderful to draw and shoot. I've owned several two wheelers but

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 10-19-2014, 07:18 PM

Default Recurve or Longbow guys/gals on here

Stick and String is the way to go.. Went to the "Dark side" and got training wheels a long time back, but did not have any fun. Since then I have owned a mix of recurves , Longbows, Flatbows. All of them are fun to shoot, I think traditional shooters are a happier bunch of people even when they break arrows.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:00 PM

Longbow, and yew selfbow with primitve arrows, but I also shoot compound, and find it very enjoyable as well. I have some stands set up for trad, and some for compound, and hunt what the wind dictates, or what I'm after based on trail cams. If the stand/ blind is likely to present a 15yd or less shot, I will take the trad gear, otherwise, I take the compound.

Last edited by Leather burner; 10-19-2014 at 08:05 PM.