Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-19-2014, 08:39 AM

Default Innisfail land owners wanted for shooting

I'll get right to the point. Does anyone here own land in/ around Innisfail and would let me shoot my bow in one of their fields?
I do not wish to trespass, nor hunt for the moment just target practice. I have access to some land in Kevisville but it makes for a long drive every time i wish to put a few dozen down range.
I recently purchased a county map and will try calling names on the map if this does not work.
Thanks
Tony
Old 10-20-2014, 08:31 AM

PM me ...have some Info for you...

Neil
Old 10-20-2014, 08:38 AM

After reading the title, I thought a landowner had shot an unethical hunter.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
lol...yup was my first thoughts also...lol...whew!!

Neil
Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 PM

Heh, heh. Same here. Curiosity drew me right in.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter1981 View Post
I'll get right to the point. Does anyone here own land in/ around Innisfail and would let me shoot my bow in one of their fields?
I do not wish to trespass, nor hunt for the moment just target practice. I have access to some land in Kevisville but it makes for a long drive every time i wish to put a few dozen down range.
I recently purchased a county map and will try calling names on the map if this does not work.
Thanks
Tony
Sad this is what's it's come to! In the 70's my grandparents owned 2 sections of all the land just west of the cemetery. You could just pull off the side of the dirt road and set up your targets and no biggie. As long as you didn't hit any of the cows, you were good to go. These days you can't fart in the wind for a mile upwind of any land owners before the trooper poopers are called!

Not sure if the road is still open......go through town west, cross the tracks, past the cemetery, past the golf course, around the bend.....used to be the first or second dirt road to the left....or go all the way to the Bridge over the Red Deer river and come back towards town, it's the first dirt road on the right....takes you down to the river. Huge beach front with lots of room to set up targets, or whatever you want to shoot at. Nice fishing hole for Rocky Mtn Whitefish just to the left by the bushes next to the bank. Use a brown fly, with maggot, and nail on the bottom!

Yes OldSchool! Let me know if you go...curious if it's still there. Plan B....some room below the river bridge (or used to be 35 years ago). lol
Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneDog View Post
Sad this is what's it's come to! In the 70's my grandparents owned 2 sections of all the land just west of the cemetery. You could just pull off the side of the dirt road and set up your targets and no biggie. As long as you didn't hit any of the cows, you were good to go. These days you can't fart in the wind for a mile upwind of any land owners before the trooper poopers are called!

Not sure if the road is still open......go through town west, cross the tracks, past the cemetery, past the golf course, around the bend.....used to be the first or second dirt road to the left....or go all the way to the Bridge over the Red Deer river and come back towards town, it's the first dirt road on the right....takes you down to the river. Huge beach front with lots of room to set up targets, or whatever you want to shoot at. Nice fishing hole for Rocky Mtn Whitefish just to the left by the bushes next to the bank. Use a brown fly, with maggot, and nail on the bottom!

Yes OldSchool! Let me know if you go...curious if it's still there. Plan B....some room below the river bridge (or used to be 35 years ago). lol
lol..Stopped in recently at the Penhold bridge...an old camping /fishing spot 20 years ago...there is a day gate there now...locked at certain time...no camping ...only other way down is by the no tresspassing signs on both sides of the river...
when I had and ran a dog team I used to have the dogs on a piece I leased right along the river a mile north of there...that trail was locked up solid...

scary!!!

Neil
Old 10-21-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I thought he was seeking land owners that he could shoot.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
lol..Stopped in recently at the Penhold bridge...an old camping /fishing spot 20 years ago...there is a day gate there now...locked at certain time...no camping ...only other way down is by the no tresspassing signs on both sides of the river...
when I had and ran a dog team I used to have the dogs on a piece I leased right along the river a mile north of there...that trail was locked up solid...

scary!!!

Neil
That's right....was a campground there too. Was a good fishing hole about 50 yards down, used to pull out some big pike from it. Everything changes though.

About a mile up from there....used to fish up there too. Had to drive about a mile past the bridge then circle around and back towards the river basically on farmer driveways. My uncle knew the farmer who owned all that land and let us drive right down to the river and fish. The river had a little run-off area on the North side which created a huge, and deep fishing hole about 40' feet by 40' feet and about 20' feet deep. The farmer might have made it but it looked natural. The river ran right into it. Lots of frogs in the grass. We'd catch a frog, hook him through the lips and just nail Pike all day long. Also put on small flies and would catch Goldeye out of that hole. Greatest fishing hole on the river!! Granted it was 30 years ago...river probably has changed.

Last edited by StoneDog; 10-21-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
LOL I thought the same thing too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-21-2014, 11:53 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. I ve found a section owned by a nice family near me.
Sorry about the title, didn t mean to alarm anyone, lol, i do admit it could have been worded better.
Tony