Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Default how far do you hike to your stand blind.

Just curious to see how far you folks hike it to your blind/stand.
I managed to find a really good spot with a good WT population. The only hitch is its a 30+ min hike to get to the spot from the nearest road.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbuchanan View Post
Just curious to see how far you folks hike it to your blind/stand.
I managed to find a really good spot with a good WT population. The only hitch is its a 30+ min hike to get to the spot from the nearest road.
That's probably the reason its got lots of deer. I have hiked 2 min to 2 hours, depending on terrain. Typically 15 min, but could be covered in 2 with a quad. I like to get in silently. Just make sure you have a way to get the critter out.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 PM

Sometimes its nice to walk a little further knowing you might be the only hunter hunting that far in. Like 3blade said tho, make sure you have a way to get a animal out.
If im hunting public land i like to setup 15-30 mins away from the nearest road for blind or stand hunting.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4570 View Post
Sometimes its nice to walk a little further knowing you might be the only hunter hunting that far in. Like 3blade said tho, make sure you have a way to get a animal out.
If im hunting public land i like to setup 15-30 mins away from the nearest road for blind or stand hunting.
Well thats my issue lately. crown land, running into several other hunters which is why I ventured this far from where I previously was set up. I like to think im in better shape than the average hunter therefor most will not be willing to make the journy to the new spot.
As for hauling the animal out it may be a hastle but doable.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan4570 View Post

Funny you should say this...I have my stand in at a 20 minute walk from the road.
Over the years as I walk in I cross a heavy game trail 60 yards (if that) off the road, running parallel with the road.

I've had cams on that trail for 3 years and there are probably double or more the amount of deer than where I have my stand further down the line.

I just can't get over having a stand that close to the road...but the pics on my cams tell me otherwise. If I hunted the stand closest to the road...ironically i'd see more deer.

Oh well, always get my deer anyway.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy honker View Post
Funny you should say this...I have my stand in at a 20 minute walk from the road.
Over the years as I walk in I cross a heavy game trail 60 yards (if that) off the road, running parallel with the road.

I've had cams on that trail for 3 years and there are probably double or more the amount of deer than where I have my stand further down the line.

I just can't get over having a stand that close to the road...but the pics on my cams tell me otherwise. If I hunted the stand closest to the road...ironically i'd see more deer.

Oh well, always get my deer anyway.
Ive always wondered if i should just sit 40 yards off the road and see all the deer that get spooked from the traffic. No doubt theres plenty of game close to the road.theyre always getting hit by vehicles.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:05 PM

Im the guy who loses his map on almost every trip out. I have hiked 6 hours to find my spot that should of only taken two. My average hike in time is about 2 hours. Gutted deer i carry back out on my shoulders. Bigger animals i find other ways to get out.
Dont use a blind or stand, still have a spot in several wmu's.

Last edited by Hydro1; 10-23-2014 at 05:24 PM.