Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 PM

Default shoulder problems and archery..

So here's the skinny, I crashed on my downhill bike in 2012. As a result of that crash, I have a gr 3+ seperation in my right shoulder. Took me 3 months to rehab enough to be able to shoot my bow. Now 2 years later I'm still in pain most days. I had my shoulder reassessed on Monday. Turns out the er doctor failed to see a bone chip in the ball n socket joint. Which has since torn up my rotator cuff..
Now I know surgery is required and is coming in the near future. What can I do after to speed up the rehab so I can shoot again?
Old 05-14-2014, 10:07 PM

When I was in rehab for my shoulder I was told not to rush it and to egzackery what I was told to do. I did and haven't had any trouble at all. Had to leave my bow on the wall that fall though. It was a long process.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 PM

I had my shoulder repaired after 6 dislocations. There is no fast way to get through it. Listen to your dr and Physio and you should recover well.
I haven't had any issues with my shoulder since surgery and have about 95-98%
range of motion back. This took the better part of 10 months. Then worked on strength. I do have the occasional day where it aces but they are few and far between
Old 05-14-2014, 10:15 PM

Damn that's what I was not wanting to hear.. its looking like I'll miss this season for sure. I guess I'm calling the elk this year and it was my turn to be the shooter
Old 05-14-2014, 11:31 PM

Default Frozen sholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogwalker View Post
So here's the skinny, I crashed on my downhill bike in 2012. As a result of that crash, I have a gr 3+ seperation in my right shoulder. Took me 3 months to rehab enough to be able to shoot my bow. Now 2 years later I'm still in pain most days. I had my shoulder reassessed on Monday. Turns out the er doctor failed to see a bone chip in the ball n socket joint. Which has since torn up my rotator cuff..
Now I know surgery is required and is coming in the near future. What can I do after to speed up the rehab so I can shoot again?
Not sure if this will help,but hope it does. After falling and tearing a tendon in my shoulder nov 2012, April 2013 it developed into what 's called a frozen shoulder. Lots of pain and almost 0 range of motion. Lots of physio and determination, improved it some what by bow season. (Left side and I am RH shot) it didn't improve enough to get my bow in the right position to draw it. Not wanting to miss the season I started shooting left handed and would close my dominate eye to shoot. I had a great season didn't put any thing on the table to eat , but I hunted a lot and had 3 clean misses, in the excitement of the shot I would keep both eyes open , when I should have closed the dominate eye. So I really hope u get to bowhunt this year, do what the dr recommends for a full recovery. As long as it dosnt hurt the healing process you may be able to alter your shooting style. Good luck, enjoy the season the very best way u can.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:02 AM

Always listen to your doc's...but get yourself low impact shock cord or bungie cord and make your self a low poundage draw cord...practice a few times a day increaseing over time....

You can drop your bow in poundage 45-50 lb which with a well placed arrow and razor sharp broadhead it will take down a Elk as quickly as a 70 lb bow...I know of lots of elk taken with a 40-ish lb bow

if you practise with the bow...one well placed arrow a day will keep you in form...

Worst comes to worst you can still be the caller and share the adventure until next year...or two as shooter....

Wish you the best with that, heal quickly

Neil
Old 05-15-2014, 11:47 AM

I got hit by a car last July and ended up with a 3/4 separation of my left shoulder (I shoot right handed). Was able to pull 60lbs by september but only after stretch and warming up. I am able to shoot most days now but it still hurts after 50-60 arrows every day. Working on strength with weights and other exercise helps. Best advice I got during rehab was to get everything as strong as possible and keep it there. I am doing shoulder exercise daily so I can keep shooting. I imagine I will have to keep this up for years to come.

Separations are worse than dislocations because you remove the A/C joint entirely and now rely on muscles to do the work bones used to. Keep strong and keep shooting. Exercise lots and don't push it too much.

People in SUVs, driving through their sprawling suburbs, will end the lives of more animals than a man with a bow ever could.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. I know it's a long haul after. I'm not looking forward to rehab. I'll keep ya all posted
Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 PM

For what it's worth, I know a therapist that does amazing work with injuries, especially sports injuries and rehab. The Canadian that finished tenth in the Boston Marathon this year came to this therapist last September because he could barely walk, let alone train for any marathons. After a few "shock wave" treatments, he was able to resume full training and finished the marathon as the top Canadian. Shockwave Therapy Edmonton is owned and operated by Uran Berisha, who is an internationally trained shock wave therapist. His website is shockwave-therapy.ca and he is based out of the Whitemud Crossing Chiropractors office and the Derrick Golf Club. He has even treated orthopedic surgeons that where slated for surgery on their shoulders and they not only have resumed medical work, but are also playing golf and squash! He has treated many golfers with frozen shoulders that are now golfing again.

I became a client of his one year ago as I was developing problems with both elbows, tennis and golfer's elbow, and had to wear braces on both arms when I shot my bow. Also was developing great deal of pain in rotator cuff of drawing arm. After four treatments and couple massages just totally working my shoulder, neck and arm muscles, I am PAIN FREE and no more braces!! Brother in law had massive headaches and neck pain for months as he is a computer analyst and always bent over computer. Doctors couldn't do anything; MRIs, cat scans, spinal tap, you name it and lots of pain killers. Finally agreed to shock therapy treatments and he is a new man. No more headaches. Best of all, no more pain meds.

Uran Berisha is one of only two internationally rated shock therapists in Canada. The other is in Calgary. Uran is also a physio therapist and sports massage therapist.

If you are interested in this new type of therapy, check out his website or pm me and I will give you his contact numbers.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM

I learned to shoot left handed . Even though I am right handed.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 AM

So I'm able to bow hunt this season, as I'm still waiting for a surgeon and a surgical date.. kinda have to scramble to get a plan for the season together short notice.. oh well bring on the bulls..lol
Old 10-25-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogwalker View Post
So I'm able to bow hunt this season, as I'm still waiting for a surgeon and a surgical date.. kinda have to scramble to get a plan for the season together short notice.. oh well bring on the bulls..lol

Well my bow season was a disaster to say the least.. seen 6 elk total in 3 zones over 21 day afield. Only 2 of the 6 were legal.. from equipment failures to ruined hunts for various reasons, I hope I'm able to make up for it next season.. I'm still waiting for a surgical consultation. Have a surgeon but I don't recall his name. I'm hoping the timing allows me to be ready but it's not looking good..