Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-13-2014, 06:07 AM

Default treestand arrival?

Treestand arrival times...

If, for example, legal shooting light is 720am.... when dies a person want to make sure they are in the stand? How early is too early?
Old 10-13-2014, 06:39 AM

Two days ago I was out nice and early on my way to the stand. I saw a cow moose on the other side of the he willows 30 yards away, I kneeled down and waited. It was 20 minutes before legal light, and the wind was in my favour. She moved so I moved a little, the bull that was bedded 15 yards right in front of me busted me. I couldn't see anything. I am still so mad at myself for now waiting till legal light and being impatient.

20 minutes is lots by me.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:20 AM

Depending on access I like to be in a minimum half hour to legal to let things settle back down. Don't think you can be to early.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:13 AM

20 to 30 minutes before legal time is usually long enough to let things calm down. I find I need 5 to 10 minutes to get harnessed up, climb the tree, then get setup in the stand. I wouldn't head in so early that it's too dark to find or safely climb into your stand.

Twice I've had deer walk in while I was halfway up the tree climbing into my stand, so I don't think it's a big deal. As long as you walked in quietly, the area shouldn't be too disturbed.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:04 AM

In stand right now.. was in 20 mins early..passed on two small bucks and a doe already.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Depending on access I like to be in a minimum half hour to legal to let things settle back down. Don't think you can be to early.
x2. if sunrise for eg. is 7 am I like to be in stand about 6- 6:15. That includes the time that it takes to walk in quietly, organize yourself and let the forest around you settle down to natural state.
Keep in mind I hunt from ground blinds ussually. To old and lazy to climb trees so I'm not sure what's involved in climbing trees in dark.
Like to be ready from the first second of legal light.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
In stand right now.. was in 20 mins early..passed on two small bucks and a doe already.
Good luck. Hope to see pics. later of one you don't pass on. We saw 3 deer this morning but they were out of rifle range, never mind bow.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:40 PM

I try to be near my stand for legal light. Too many times have I bumped animals in the dark. I like to be able to hunt my way in. At least that way I'll be able to see what I scared away.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:13 PM

Some coyotes came through later on... thinking might be done till later..gone to sh pk for lunch lol
Old 10-13-2014, 05:31 PM

Ya, 'yotes where howling all around me this morning, about 7:00-7:30. They where close too, didn't see any of them though. Too bad.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:36 PM

Ya just about to head home. A doe came before last light and winded me... lol that loud Snort wheeeeeeeeeeeeze echoed though the woods lol
Old 10-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Banned

It sounds like you're having lots of fun, ABB.

I like to get in my stand 30 minutes before first light and about an hour before last light. After first light I'll stay until I start to fidget too much.

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 AM

I like to be in stand almost an hour before legal light...one can learn a lot by listening...IMHO if one hear's the yokes singing before you get in stand...your Late!!!

One can hear elk/moose even deer call before legal light...all will rub/tear trees apart..spar with antler rattling...so one can move if have to before legal light...or know their are coming and prepare..

Many are in the mind set that once in stand they stay there regardless of whats going on out there....I have been in stand many times and got down and went to them after hearing activity before legal light...and that has resulted in many outstanding animals...

Neil
Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
It sounds like you're having lots of fun, ABB.

I like to get in my stand 30 minutes before first light and about an hour before last light. After first light I'll stay until I start to fidget too much.

Good luck!
Yes i am. Very excited about my season. I am trying to do it all bow. Except for my bear which was stupidly in bow range. Like wth lol.

Ive done so much rifle hunting and roadhunting these past years.. it really opens your eyes and turns on your senses as to what is going on around you.

Like yesterday.... a magpie landed on a low limb. And started to make some freaky noises. Didnt kniw i was there. Never heard these sounds before.. seen alot of mice crawling on the ground.. some weird skunk like thing but wasnt a skunk.... a Huuuuuuuuuge wood pecker with a red head. Size of a seagull lol.

Whats truely cool is watching deer come in 20 yards and closer.. not knowing im there.. doing their little stomps..watching them sniff the air.. ears twitch at everything.. etc etc.. and knowing i could have threaded 3 small bucks yesterday and a few does.

When is the rut normally fire up in strathcona county? Mr Big is gonna come out sooner or later!!!

Oh.. and got neat video footage on my spypoint of momma mulie and two fawns... another big cow moose that looked super healthy... and yet another different bull moose. Thays 4 bulls in the area. I thought they had a bigger space between them.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:29 PM

Pileated Woodpecker ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pileated.jpg (3.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-14-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
Pileated Woodpecker ?
looks like it. but the size of a cat lol
Old 10-14-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeD View Post
Pileated Woodpecker ?
Had one of these following me for about 5 hours Saturday. Randoms bushwacking at 8:30am put a damper on my morning, so I decided to get deeper and see what's what. Every half hour this guy was there, cackling away. Loud suckers!
Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 AM

Default Bowhunting

When I started bowhunting is when I truly began to see the woods and the creatures that live there. I've become a much better hunter and observer because of it, it's great isn't it?
Old 10-15-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
When I started bowhunting is when I truly began to see the woods and the creatures that live there. I've become a much better hunter and observer because of it, it's great isn't it?
I agree...its true hunting not just killin...

Neil
Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Very great. So much going on.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Yes i am. Very excited about my season. I am trying to do it all bow. Except for my bear which was stupidly in bow range. Like wth lol.

Ive done so much rifle hunting and roadhunting these past years.. it really opens your eyes and turns on your senses as to what is going on around you.

Like yesterday.... a magpie landed on a low limb. And started to make some freaky noises. Didnt kniw i was there. Never heard these sounds before.. seen alot of mice crawling on the ground.. some weird skunk like thing but wasnt a skunk.... a Huuuuuuuuuge wood pecker with a red head. Size of a seagull lol.

Whats truely cool is watching deer come in 20 yards and closer.. not knowing im there.. doing their little stomps..watching them sniff the air.. ears twitch at everything.. etc etc.. and knowing i could have threaded 3 small bucks yesterday and a few does.

When is the rut normally fire up in strathcona county? Mr Big is gonna come out sooner or later!!!

Oh.. and got neat video footage on my spypoint of momma mulie and two fawns... another big cow moose that looked super healthy... and yet another different bull moose. Thays 4 bulls in the area. I thought they had a bigger space between them.
Yes , you really do get to see alot more when you bow hunt . Ever had a bird land on you stand ? How about the brim of your hat ? Got a real close look at a chickadees tailfeathers that way once .. Pretty cool experiences in a tree .I try to get in the tree at least a halfhour before legal light .
Old 10-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:

X2 on new appreciation of the forest. First year serious bowhunting and it's a different world from rifle.
I'm not to sure how I'll feel about sitting still for hours once it gets very cold though.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 AM

The other night I got to watch an owl hunt from 40 yards away very cool.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
x2 it sure is.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:55 PM