Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-08-2016, 09:54 PM

Default .243 Ruger Precision Rifle Review

I recently purchased a Ruger Precision Rifle and thought I would share some of my experiences with you. I went with the .243 version. I choose this calibre over the 308 and 6.5 Creedmore because I believe the combination of the velocity of the round, the low recoil and inexpensive reloading components made it the perfect choice. (plus I had some sweet Lapua brass kicking around.) The guys over at accurate shooter had this to say about the .243 and I whole heartedly agree with them.

If you could have just one rifle to slay varmints, hunt white-tails, shoot paper at long range, and duel in tactical matches, it would be hard to beat the .243 Winchester. This versatile “little brother” of the .308 Winchester is a true triple-threat as a match cartridge, varmint cartridge, and game cartridge. With 115gr DTAC bullets, a .243 rivals a 6.5-284 ballistically out to 1000 yards. Shooting 80-100 grain hunting bullets, a .243 will anchor a buck with authority. Driving the light 55-75 grain pills, the .243 provides the flat trajectory and high impact energy varminters love. As a tactical round, the .243 is one of the best, offering excellent ballistics, moderate recoil, and stone-reliable feeding from a detachable magazine.

So now you know why I went with the .243 but why did i pick the Ruger Precision Rifle? I have never owned a tactical style rifle and thought I would like to have one. I gave a lot of consideration to buying an Accuracy International.I hope to one day own one, it just seem like a lot of money for a style of rifle I didn’t know if I would enjoy shooting.
I read some reviews of the Ruger Precision Rifle and watched some very interesting videos showing the rifle’s capabilities and thought, hmmm $1500 bucks for a ½ MOA firearm how can I loose? Well after working with it and shooting it I am very pleased so far.

So what are some of the things I like about the rifle? Firstly is the price, for the money I think this rifle is very hard to beat. As a value proposition it’s amazing that you get so many features for what you’re paying. Here is a list of what it comes with out of the box; Integrated Pic Rail, Threaded for a muzzle brake, Pistol Grip, Adjustable stock and cheek piece, Three lug action, 2 ten round magazines, QD mounting kit and bipod mounting pic rail.

The features of the rifle have made shooting it a very nice experience. The adjustable length of pull and cheek weld make it a very comfortable rifle. It’s easy to shoot, and the recoil travels directly back into the shooter and there is very limited muzzle jump. So far it has fed all the ammunition I’ve fed it flawlessly without jamming (I have less that 50 rounds down the pipe so its a limited sample size). The action is not “silky smooth” but you can manipulate the bolt with confidence. It feels very rugged, it’s not the kind of rifle I feel like I have to baby. Long story short, It’s comfortable and sets up easily and shoots the way a good rifle should.

So the question many of you likely are asking at this point is, does it shoot? The answer is yes it does. My first group with the rifle was just over ¾ of an inch when i was breaking it in and cleaning it. I was shooting Federal Blue box 100 grain. My second group was about the same size. I think i could have shot a bit better. The range I was at was partially flooded and my feet were not in a stable position. There has been a lot of rain in southern Alberta and the mosquitos were awful, making it hard to concentrate the way a shooter should.
I came home very excited about the possibilities. I wanted to reload some of that Lapua brass I had kicking around. I whipped up a batch of 105gr Amax’s and Hodgdons H4831sc. I got a chance to go to the range today and the rifle did not disappoint. The conditions were the same as yesterday, with lots of water and lots of bugs. I managed to shoot 2 groups that were just over ½ inch. I could have danced a jig in my rubber boots!! This thing is a shooter!

There are a lot of good things to say about this rifle but it is not perfect, The bolt though reliable is a bit rough. The bolt housing is made of plastic and seems a bit cheap. The grip was a bit thin for my hand ( I am a plus sized fellow) and I replaced it before I even shot it. The bolt release is hard to access when you have the stock folded. So far there isn’t anything so awful about the rifle that I would regret purchasing it, quite the contrary.

Almost forgot to mention the trigger. A clean crisp light trigger is one of the most important things I look for in a rifle. This is my first bolt action rifle I have purchased from Ruger and I am impressed by there trigger. I have owned Savage Accutrigger rifles and I must say that though similar, I like Rugers trigger better. It’s crisper and breaks like glass at just over a 2 pounds. Its set at this weight right out of the box. You can tune it a bit lower but I don’t see a pressing need to do so.

I added a few things to my rifle and I think they make it a bit better. The first mod I made was the hand grip. I picked up the Ergo Deluxe from Alberta Tactical and it’s worth every penny. While I was in the shop I had them mount my Burris XTR II 8x40x50 scope with the rings they make in house. The scope has held its zero through several 5 shot groups so I am happy. I had Alberta Tactical install a Muzzle break (I know it’s just a .243) and it has nearly eliminated the feel of recoil and there is nominal muzzle jump.

So in closing, I am happy I bought the rifle. It’s my first “tacticool” firearm and I intend to put it through its paces over the next few months. If you have any questions please feel free to post away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger Precision Rifle.jpg (72.4 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg .243 target.jpg (28.1 KB, 197 views)
Old 08-08-2016, 11:31 PM
Banned

I've heard nothing but good things about the RPR... Congrats !

Let us know how those 105 Amax work out at a distance (750yds & up).

Old 08-09-2016, 05:22 AM

Excellent review and very impressive shooting!
Was talking to a gentleman the other day about his RPR in 6.5creedmoor and he had nothing but great things to say about it. Even showed me a cutout of 3 shot group he shot under 1/2" with his reloads.

How do you like your burris? been contemplating replacing my VX-R with one on my .308, I know they have great glass, what do they retail for usually?
Old 08-09-2016, 06:39 AM

Thanks for posting the detailed review
Old 08-09-2016, 06:47 AM

Default Rpr

Thanks for posting this review! I haven't had a Ruger for a long time. I might just give the RPR a try!

Last edited by bulletman; 08-09-2016 at 06:48 AM. Reason: selling
Old 08-09-2016, 06:53 AM

Great review! Was a good read and the pictures look good, and after I seen the picture of the first 5 shot group, I said to myself, he has a shooter. I've never heard of this rifle but it is a nice looking rig! I'll keep reading so keep posting your thoughts and your future shoots.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:22 AM

Nice Review. I love my .308 RPR

Next Gen RPR's will have a aluminum shroud for the bolt that you will be able to replace yours!
Old 08-09-2016, 08:34 AM

Right on glad you like it, my RPR is awesome and a real pleasure to shoot!

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 08-09-2016, 09:21 AM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I've heard nothing but good things about the RPR... Congrats !

Let us know how those 105 Amax work out at a distance (750yds & up).

I will definitely let you know how she shoots out at distance. I hope the Amaxs perform well out to 750 and maybe beyond. I have a 243 ammo thread running on the forum and will post info about velocities ES and SD. I am using H 4831sc because it was recommended on Accurate Shooter.com so far it seems to be working.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 AM

Default Burris XTRII

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBEX View Post
Excellent review and very impressive shooting!
Was talking to a gentleman the other day about his RPR in 6.5creedmoor and he had nothing but great things to say about it. Even showed me a cutout of 3 shot group he shot under 1/2" with his reloads.

How do you like your burris? been contemplating replacing my VX-R with one on my .308, I know they have great glass, what do they retail for usually?
I like my XTR. I have the 8x40 so it's great for target shooting. I have an aim small miss small philosophy when target shooting. Frankly I'm a pretty average shooter but the scope makes me shoot above my skill set.
The scopes features are very nice. It has 1/8 Moa clicks. They are quite tactile and feel good. I haven't done any tracking tests on it but I suspect it will track well. It has a hard zero stop. The reticle is a bit busy but it definitely draws your focus to the Center of the target.
The clarity of the glass is good it's not great but it is in the top tier quality. I own a Razor HD II and it is a step down from this but I consider the Razor HD to be in the elite tier.
The XTR retail for around $2000 ish and for the price I think they are an excellent target scope. If you buy one I don't think you would regret it.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the review and ... you did some good shooting. No doubt some great out-of-the-box features with the RPR. Your accuracy addiction will likely soon lead you to Berger VLD(H) bullets which will make it possible for you to kill any female mosquitos on your target ...or the Berger VLD(T) bullets which will enable you to shoot the balls off the males, making it impossible for them to reproduce.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:39 AM

Mark, good review. What are your thoughts on having to break the gun down to clean it or remove the bolt? Although I've never done it, it looked like a huge pain, even more so during break-in. Looks like the gun is shooting well, I'm around the last week of Aug-sept if you would like company while stretching its legs.

BMR
Old 08-09-2016, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the excellent review, Mark. Enjoyable reading. I have admired all of the RPRs I have seen at the range. I believe you made a good choice and can see myself with one some time in the future, if for no other reason than to see the look on my hunting partners' faces when I show up with it Have a good one.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:50 AM

Default Cleaning

Cleaning is a bit different. Its my first tactical rifle so there is some adjustment to how I am doing things. Cleaning it the field with about a 1000 mosquitos was tricky to say the least. When i clean it at home I have a guin vise and it is able to hold the folded stock in place so its easier than field cleaning. Getting the bolt out with the stock folded is a bit tricky. I have big hands but i can still press the bolt release latch with the stock folded, i just have to hold my tongue at the right angle. I always use a bore guide when i clean so that helps. I think the if you dont use bore guides then cleaning it would be a bit tougher.

As to the topic of the barrel break in, well that is one for the ages. I dont really know what to say. With my Tikka and Sako rifles i dont break them in because I know they have been shot and cleaned at the factory. Other manufacturers might do so as well but I dont know. I wasnt aware if Ruger does so i did a very simple break in, wether it makes a difference or not i dont know for certain. I shot 3 then cleaned and did that 3 times. During the cleaning cycle i ran my brush through it a few times then ran a solvent down a couple of times with a plastic jag then mopped it. Then i shot again. I dont profess that this is some magic formula. Some guys clean after there first shot and repeat this 5 times then shoot 3 five shot groups cleaning between. There are lots of different approaches and philosophies to break ins.

Send me a PM and late in August and maybe we can get out and shoot
Old 08-09-2016, 10:52 AM

Thank you I have Ben trying to decide between a 243 and a 6.5 cm gave me more to think about
Old 08-09-2016, 10:53 AM

Default Bergers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Thanks for the review and ... you did some good shooting. No doubt some great out-of-the-box features with the RPR. Your accuracy addiction will likely soon lead you to Berger VLD(H) bullets which will make it possible for you to kill any female mosquitos on your target ...or the Berger VLD(T) bullets which will enable you to shoot the balls off the males, making it impossible for them to reproduce.
I have had some good luck and bad luck with Bergers. WHen you get a good load they are truely amazing, sometimes finding that load can be frustrating. Any secrets?

Hmm maybe i can make some cash on the side doing mosquito spay and nueters if i can find the right load?
Old 08-09-2016, 12:17 PM

I have a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor and worked up a great load using 140gr Berger hybrid. This is a 10 shot group I shot with it awhile back at a 100 yards. I have nothing but good things to say about the rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (27.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 08-09-2016, 12:40 PM

Default Nice shooting

Looks like you have a shooter. What do you like about your RPR? is there anything about you dont like?
Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Looks like you have a shooter. What do you like about your RPR? is there anything about you dont like?
I like how you can customize so much on it. The gun has everything you need on it to get the rifle to form to you. At least that's what I found. One thing I don't like about it is the mag length. I couldn't get the bergers close to the lands.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
I have had some good luck and bad luck with Bergers. WHen you get a good load they are truely amazing, sometimes finding that load can be frustrating. Any secrets?

Hmm maybe i can make some cash on the side doing mosquito spay and nueters if i can find the right load?
I would not worry about seating Bergers longer than magazine length in the RPR unless I was using it as a carry rifle for hunting. Paper always waits for follow-up shots to be fed thought the port. Bergers (especially VLDs) can be fussy with seating depth. It is a good idea when looking for optimum seating depth to shoot a "round robin" comparison. I don't shoot 243 Win but do lots of 6 Dasher using Ber 105s which seem to like leaving the muzzle in the 2950 fps range.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:42 AM

Default Nergers

The 105 burgers have my attention. The be on them is over .500 is it not? What powder do you run with on those dashes?
Old 08-19-2016, 10:42 PM

Default Third time out with the rifle

Tonight was my third time out with the rifle. I have a bit more info to share with those that are interested. Let me begin by saying I can not wait till Fall and the first frost get here, the mosquitos are insane. It made shooting tight groups tough.
So with that out of the way, I will discuss some things about the rifle. I am really starting to like the bolt and magazine system. It feeds rounds very well and you have confidence that when you work the bolt its going to do its job. I like that. You cant baby the round into the chamber you have to do it with a bit of force.

I have a love hate relationship with the stock. It fits well and you can really fine tune the positions of everything. Its comfortable and I like that. It does come loose sometimes though and you have to reset it. The locking system is fiddly and is not dependable. I am considering replacing the stock but its a pricey proposition for a top quality replacement.

Accuracy was the reason i bought this gun. So far I think it has alot of potential. I shot 2 groups that were less than an inch tonight and conditions were not exactly optimal. I had a couple flyers due to bug bites. They caused me to pull the trigger and the groups opened up. It also caused me to hurry my shooting and that may have decreased accuracy due to improper technique and over heated barrel. The rifle has had about 50 rounds down the pipe and so far I have high hopes.

I am still working on load development but I see potential there as well. I have been using H4831sc powder with Hornady 105 gr Amax bullets, Lapua brass and Winchester Large primers. I tried to chrono them tonight but had some very strange results with velocities ranging from 2850 to 3050 in a 5 shot group. I am very meticulous during reloading and double weigh my powder charges to the 1/10 of a grain. The muzzle brake on my magneto speed chrono might be affecting things. Will be doing more research in the fall and I will continue to post for those who are interested.

PS the Red Squares on the target are 1/2 inch for reference.
PSS you can download this target at http://www.accurateshooter.com/shooting-skills/targets/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aug 19th Groups.jpg (62.4 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by markg; 08-19-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:10 PM

A friend has one in 6.5 CM and we shot it last week.It really liked the factory Hornady ELD"s in 140 gr. We shot these to 1200 yards and they did verywell and did about a 1/2 " group at 100. We also shot some factory hornady 120 gr A-Max s , they did fairly good also out to 1000 yards.
I didn't like the way it felt when shot, it has kind of a tinny vibration and sound to the stock.
I didn't like the way it sat in the rest with the round guard around the barrel.
It didn't feed very good but it may get better with some use and might need the feed lips adjusted on the magazines.
I liked the trigger,accuracy and the fact that it can shoot long range(about 1500 yards with 140 grainers and 100 moa scope) but if I was to have one the stock would have to go.
Overall I liked it and for $1500 its a pretty good package and the factory match ammo from hornady worked verywell in it.
We are going to do some load development next week for it with some Berger 140 VLD Targets and H4350.
Would like to find some 140 gr.ELD's and try them also.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:50 PM

Default Pretty impressive

I agree with a lot of what your saying. This is my first tactical rifle but I dont think it will be my last. For $1500 it's pretty hard to beat. It's definetately not perfect but I look forward to seeing if I can get it down to 1/2 MOA and then start stretching its legs out to 500 and 1000.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 AM

Default Nice Video Review

Found a good video review if your interested.

https://youtu.be/crHUhGuBc14
Old 08-23-2016, 01:35 PM

Mark check out this guys YouTube channel.He'a been working on loads for the RPR in 6.5creedmoor and 243win.

http://ultimatereloader.com

https://m.youtube.com/user/gavintoobe

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip