Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREENGUN View Post
Laguvalin 16 year! My favourite scotch to date! Smokey, peaty and smells of leather... what more could one want?
You have it figured out......
Old 02-25-2014, 05:31 PM

Anybody else stock up on the Macallan Fine Oak series (10, 12, 15, 17, 18, 21 & 25 yr old) as they have been discontinued? They (fairly) quietly switched to their 'color' series, Gold, Amber, Sienna (wtheck is that?) and Ruby. This is a 'no age' offering, and not cheap. I've tried them all, and while very fine, for the price I really preferred their Fine Oak. I stocked up on what I could get, in the 15-21 yr range, and put them away. Someday, somewhere, there will be a reason to open them, but until then they are under lock and key. Here is an article that tipped me off on the matter....

http://www.masterofmalt.com/blog/pos...-whiskies.aspx

And from their webpage:

http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/the-1824-series/

I also managed to pick up a very limited bottling of the GlenDronach 1991 and 1994. Those are not being opened any time soon either, but they are fantastic, I was lucky enough to be at a whisky tasting where they were offered, and wish I had bought 2 bottles of each instead of just one. They are individually numbered, from a given cask. So I have a '94, aged in an Oloroso Sherry Butt, Cask #101, bottle 314 of 628....

http://www.abbeywhisky.com/glendrona...batch-8-whisky

And a '91, aged in Pedro Ximeniz Sherry Puncheon, Cask 5409, bottle 524/716.

I hardly have been able to resist opening those, but don't dare because I know what will happen. For now, I stick to my other bottles that are still available.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 02-25-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I also managed to pick up a very limited bottling of the GlenDronach 1991 and 1994. Those are not being opened any time soon either, but they are fantastic, I was lucky enough to be at a whisky tasting where they were offered, and wish I had bought 2 bottles of each instead of just one. They are individually numbered, from a given cask. So I have a '94, aged in an Oloroso Sherry Butt, Cask #101, bottle 314 of 628....

those 91 and 94 at the above link? Been looking!

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 PM

Glenlivet is my favorite but Chivas regal is good to.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
those 91 and 94 at the above link? Been looking!
They are all long sold out, and you wouldn't want to buy from overseas anyway, wayyyy too pricey.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-25-2014, 06:54 PM

When you decide to open those i'll trade shot for shot my 34y/o Caledonia single cask LoL

edit - and my wife is very mad at you for posting that link. Finally found the St-Magdalene's LoL

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 PM

I had an Irishman tell me one time that Scotch was invented shortly after they
Invented haggis!
Cat
Old 02-25-2014, 07:33 PM

I have:
dalmore 12
I prefer mild scotches and this is one of my favorite.
highland queen 16
Never opened it yet
glenfiddich 18
Its ok but I don't care for the after taste or the price, prefer the 15
Glendlivet 12
Its ok
Johnny walker 12
Got as a gift but haven't opened it. Don't really care for it.

I didn't care for scotch up till about 5 years ago. Makes a huge difference when you know how to drink scotch.
I got two little bottles(the kind you get in the airplane) in tin containers of glenfiddich special reserve from a friend who believes he's had them for 40 years. Is there any way of knowing how old they are?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanik View Post
When you decide to open those i'll trade shot for shot my 34y/o Caledonia single cask LoL

edit - and my wife is very mad at you for posting that link. Finally found the St-Magdalene's LoL
I may take you up on that trade, we'll have to meet halfway somewhere maybe while fishing.....and you're welcome for that link, tell you're wife I'm terribly sorry......

Old 02-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Banned

Cool

Ill throw it up, you guys need to find the movie "Angels share " you'll get it.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 PM

Scotch is going up in price from what my pals in the industry are saying, just a friendly heads up , Twistee if you get to Edm I will take you to my scotch hookup
Old 02-25-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
Scotch is going up in price from what my pals in the industry are saying, just a friendly heads up , Twistee if you get to Edm I will take you to my scotch hookup
I will take you up on that!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 PM

I am not old enough to drink scotch ,never will be
Old 03-03-2014, 07:46 PM

Great thread. Added some items to my wish list.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:49 PM

Balvenie double wood is my favourite scotch. Reasonably priced at $60 too
Old 03-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
Working on a bottle of Laphroaigh Quarter Cask as we speak. Love this stuff, just the right amount of peat for me.
This is the peatiest scotch I've tried hands down. lol a scotch for those who love scotch. but one of my favourites. Either you love it or hate it.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
This is the peatiest scotch I've tried hands down. lol a scotch for those who love scotch. but one of my favourites. Either you love it or hate it.
Don't know if has been mentioned here or not, the thread is getting progressively tastier, but the Bowmore Darkest 15 yr is another stellar Islay, not as peaty but very nicely finished in a sherry cask to add a bit of sweet to the peat. I wasn't keen on the mix initially, but have come to really like it, and actually just picked up a bottle for under $65 today at No Frills....a steal at that price IMO for a very good 15 yr old Islay.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...ar-old-whisky/

It was reviewed just today actually by the Globe and Mail and the reviewer gave it a 95, very respectable, and he paid $96 for it!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...70/?cmpid=rss1

Old 03-04-2014, 09:27 PM

Whenever I get to Edmonton I usually hit the Cabela's, whenever I hit Cabela's I usually hit the Liquor Barn that is close by. They have some of the of their better scotches at a kiosk that they sell by the shot. The setting isn't the greatest, but it's all about the taste. I'd feel a bit guilty dropping $500 or $600 on a bottle, but a few bucks for a taste of fine scotch or 40 old sherry is fine though.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Don't know if has been mentioned here or not, the thread is getting progressively tastier, but the Bowmore Darkest 15 yr is another stellar Islay, not as peaty but very nicely finished in a sherry cask to add a bit of sweet to the peat. I wasn't keen on the mix initially, but have come to really like it, and actually just picked up a bottle for under $65 today at No Frills....a steal at that price IMO for a very good 15 yr old Islay.

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...ar-old-whisky/

It was reviewed just today actually by the Globe and Mail and the reviewer gave it a 95, very respectable, and he paid $96 for it!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...70/?cmpid=rss1
Oh my yes I love Bowmore Darkest so yummy
Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 PM

HighLand Park 18 another good one.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM

Flew through Houston yesterday on our way home from Orlando. Popped in at the duty free for a peak at the selection. Not too shabby at all.

Settled on a Bowmore 17. Heard good things but have yet to try it myself. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it...
Old 03-19-2014, 11:09 AM

Ardbeg. There are several to choose from, but the 10 year old is not only the least expensive, but its delightful. My local vendor has it for $65.00.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:37 PM

X3 on the bowmore 15! Love the ardbeg 10 year also.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbike View Post
Ardbeg. There are several to choose from, but the 10 year old is not only the least expensive, but its delightful. My local vendor has it for $65.00.
Very true, love the Ardbeg. They came out with a limited bottling a while back of Ardbog that I managed to get my hands on. In keeping with the Ardbeg spirit, very peaty and smokey, but also a lot more complexity and an amazing finish. Always finding new notes in it, though I tend to keep it stashed towards the back so I don't drink it too soon. Great distiller for sure.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/scotch-w...ardbeg-ardbog/

Old 03-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Very true, love the Ardbeg. They came out with a limited bottling a while back of Ardbog that I managed to get my hands on. In keeping with the Ardbeg spirit, very peaty and smokey, but also a lot more complexity and an amazing finish. Always finding new notes in it, though I tend to keep it stashed towards the back so I don't drink it too soon. Great distiller for sure.

http://www.drinkspirits.com/scotch-w...ardbeg-ardbog/
My darling wife bought me a bottle of it for Christmas. It was great, but again, the 10 year old is just great value for money. Not as complex, for sure, but if it were the only single malt available, I'd be a happy man.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 PM

Go with the scapa it's now my favorite
Old 03-19-2014, 06:39 PM

I haven't seen Auchentoshan posted yet, I've had a few of their bottles in the past couple years and was very pleased.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:31 PM

anyone try use these for there rocks
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ice+r...tm%3B500%3B380
Old 03-19-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbike View Post
My darling wife bought me a bottle of it for Christmas. It was great, but again, the 10 year old is just great value for money. Not as complex, for sure, but if it were the only single malt available, I'd be a happy man.
If there were only one single malt? Egads.....can I short list it to 10 or so? The Ardbeg would make the list for sure, along with the Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood, Bowmore Darkest, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Coal Isla 18, Macallan 18, Lagavullin, Highland Park 18, etc etc.....haha

Old 03-19-2014, 09:41 PM

Anyone know where I can find some Macallan 12's and 18's in Calgary?