Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-09-2020, 10:05 AM

Default Hybrid streamers

So just came across this the other day but saw streamer patterns with diving bibs and rattles. Basically a hybrid of a spinning lure like rapala. Anyone ever tied a streamer like this. I made one to test out. Took a long time as I made the bib and the rattle but it’s quite heavy plus with the bib I’m hoping it gets super deep super quick for those really deep bull trout holes or on the bow. It’s just so difficult to get a fly down deep quickly on a river like you can with spinning gear
Old 02-09-2020, 10:49 AM

Lead core sink tip. 2’ of leader. Adding diving bills to your streamer makes it impossible to back cast. Ok for trolling on a lake but that’s about it.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:22 AM

May as well just use a spinning rod and lures. Trying to fly fish with what are basically spinning lures and plugs never made much sense to me.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
May as well just use a spinning rod and lures. Trying to fly fish with what are basically spinning lures and plugs never made much sense to me.
I have the same opinion. It’s no longer a fly once you start adding lips and stuff like that

I also think you are taking away one of the big advantages streamers have over lures. The ability to give a presentation that can provide good action on a slow presentation for a longer period then spinning gear is where fly fishing excels.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:37 AM

They still weight nothing compared to a spinner lure. I just like the idea of combining every bit of fishing knowledge I’ve learnt and creating something a little mixed to become the best fisherman I can be. Im not at all a flyfishing purist
Old 02-09-2020, 11:51 AM

If you want to make one just to make one I get that I make all kinds of crazy lures and flies. Yes I have made lipped flies but your hopes of making a deep diving one will have major issues do to lack of weight. Not enough weight to control the lip you will get a corkscrew lol

I have a lot of experience building crankbaits and you are basically trying to build a crankbait with fly materials.

If you want information on how to attempt it ask away
Old 02-09-2020, 11:52 AM

Why does a bib make it no longer a fly when a popper still is. Fly fishing is contantly evolving and uses all kinds of non natural materials. Also I don’t see how casting it would be any different than casting any bulky streamer. Yes it gets harder and maybe you have to upsize your rod but still doable.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
If you want to make one just to make one I get that I make all kinds of crazy lures and flies. Yes I have made lipped flies but your hopes of making a deep diving one will have major issues do to lack of weight. Not enough weight to control the lip you will get a corkscrew lol

I have a lot of experience building crankbaits and you are basically trying to build a crankbait with fly materials.

If you want information on how to attempt it ask away
I wondered about it corkscrewing but figure cranks have the same problem when balance is off. I figure it’s a matter of playing with weight and bib size/shape
Old 02-09-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Why does a bib make it no longer a fly when a popper still is. Fly fishing is contantly evolving and uses all kinds of non natural materials. Also I don’t see how casting it would be any different than casting any bulky streamer. Yes it gets harder and maybe you have to upsize your rod but still doable.
Nothing but personal opinion I choose to call it a lure. Just like when a guy uses a bingo bug on a fly rod it’s lure fishing to me. Not a big deal in my books

Casting is not an issue I make bull trout streamer that are heavy enough the old chuck and duck cast is needed lol

Last edited by Smoky buck; 02-09-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I wondered about it corkscrewing but figure cranks have the same problem when balance is off. I figure it’s a matter of playing with weight and bib size/shape
Ever build crankbaits?

Oh I could build one in a heartbeat but it takes some knowledge and won’t be too fly like.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ever build crankbaits?

Oh I could build one in a heartbeat but it takes some knowledge and won’t be too fly like.
No never have
Old 02-09-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
No never have
If this is something you really want to figure out start with just trying to make a lipped fly that doesn’t corkscrew to start.

To accomplish what you want to make for a fly will involve all the same principles as a deep diving crankbait. So without the knowledge of how to stabilize the action and pressure of the lip through weighting, angle, lip shape/length, and tie point you will need a lot of luck.

I have built thousands of crankbaits and would have to plan it out plus water tune/test it to get it right.

If you want draw up a design show it to me and I will tell you the flaws I see to start along with advice to make it work
Old 02-16-2020, 12:50 PM

LDS,
I fish streamers 99.95% of the time I fish. If your goal is to just get down in a river, there are simple strategies that are proven.
Easiest to incorporate is a full sink, with a sparse fly. Kelly Galloup developed this method and it works very well.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:48 PM

Default Incorrect

Kelly Gallup may have adopted the lead core / sinking line sparse Fly method.
It has been used in Argentina for more than 20 years and on the Dean River BC By Dennis Hemus (RIP Old Pal )since the 70's..Just saying..
Old 02-16-2020, 05:26 PM

Tungsten tip, heavy flies, and a short leader you can reach down deep sparse fly or not. Firsthand experience fishing rockfish and lingcod I can comfortably say 60ft plus is very possible.

I think the OP just has an idea that interests them and there is nothing wrong with that
Old 02-17-2020, 12:20 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfs View Post
Kelly Gallup may have adopted the lead core / sinking line sparse Fly method.
It has been used in Argentina for more than 20 years and on the Dean River BC By Dennis Hemus (RIP Old Pal )since the 70's..Just saying..
Have to agree a full sink line and a brace of wet flies were the method of choice long before Kelly was born and still works well today I guess you could say things have come full circle
Old 02-19-2020, 01:37 PM

I use sink tip and very heavy sparse flies and can’t get down fast enough in deep bull trout holes with fast runs. Mainly the holes that are fast and well over 10’ sometimes close to 20’. The current pushes it down too fast when casting upstream and it holds the fly up when casting downstream. I thought maybe the bib would dive it when casting down stream and stripping it back up into the current. Either way I made a fly and will give it a try. Was just curious if anyone has had success
Old 02-19-2020, 03:34 PM

Good luck hope it works for you nothing wrong with trying new things
Old 02-19-2020, 05:38 PM

Default Stack Mends

An excellent way to help get deep is to pitch 1 or 2 mid air stack mends.
As soon as they have hit, follow with another 1 or 2..
It takes practice , but will get a deep.. Fast..