Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-19-2020, 11:12 PM

Default Ice Fishing for Kokanee

I know some of you guys probably fish for Kokanee in the summer, but they can be a lot of fun in the winter time as well if you're ever in BC during the ice season.

Go Fish BC is looking at ways to enhance the freshwater fishery of British Columbia and one of them is by stocking more lakes with Kokanee. These land locked Sockeye Salmon are a lot of fun to catch, with a generous limit of 5 fish a person and taste excellent. While I have fished for them a lot in the summer months and have published numerous summer fishing videos, I have very few Ice fishing kokanee videos. In Fact this is my second one. Hopefully there will be more in the future as the kids really seemed to love the day out on the water fishing for kokanee. They are a schooling fish and when a school comes through the action be quite crazy as you will see in the video. Unfortunately two of the craziest bites I caught on camera had corrupted files and lost forever. Hope you enjoy this little video with my daughters. I love listening to them, the things they say get me smiling every time.

The Jigging Jaw Jacker was actually responsible for quite a few hits and several fish on the ice. Just didn't make it on the video. You can see it in action for one fish at least. Amazing contraption. I'm really impressed with these rigs.

https://youtu.be/3vIi2l5yQnE

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-20-2020, 12:41 PM

Great video Brandon! The girls sure look like they enjoyed it. Good job dad!
Old 02-20-2020, 08:29 PM

Have really wondered if they could actually be caught through the ice. We go to Lake Revelstoke every year in June and have a blast. What a great vid with the kids there Dad. They were having a great time and so were you. Always enjoy your vids.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Have really wondered if they could actually be caught through the ice. We go to Lake Revelstoke every year in June and have a blast. What a great vid with the kids there Dad. They were having a great time and so were you. Always enjoy your vids.
Thanks, yes for sure any lake where the ice freezes enough and they frequent they can be caught. Sometimes a little difficult to find because they don't relate to any structure. Just roam the open, suspended spaces. When a school comes through it is a blast though.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-21-2020, 11:08 PM

Another great video. Cool to see the kids out enjoying the outdoors with Dad.

I use a similar set up for Lakers but with a larger jig head and minnow on bottom. The spoon/flasher seems to bring them in some days while other days it seems to deter them.