Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Default Sept. longweekend Cold Lake

Water was rough , but well worth it . We landed 25 fish in 25 hours of hard fishing . We had a few double headers on the down riggers, Boy can they fight, when using med action tackle . They were all under sized except for one .The bigger fish must be in 200 ft of water or more . If any one is heading out this weekend ,maybe they are coming up.
Good luck .
Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 PM
Banned

beautifull fish john. i thought you had put your away for winter allready. still lots of good boat season left. glad you had a good weekend.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 PM

Nice looking fish!!
Old 09-08-2012, 08:39 AM

Nice Laker! good for you!
Old 09-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Winterizing the boat this weekend . Its all apart on the drive way !
Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Default Nice Fish, JR.!!

Hey JR;

Was going to go to Cold as well but the report was for big wind, passed on that, went to B.C. and had the BEST RAINBOW TROUT fishing EVER, up to 8 pounds buts lots and lots in the 3-6 pound class and man are they Awesome on the Table and What a FIGHT, Weather was Beautiful.!!!

P.S. Found some news spots on Cold this Summer and had a Blast, Biggest 34 pounds and found a nice little walleye hole!!

Cheers

HW
Old 09-08-2012, 01:40 PM

Congrats on the 34lb Laker hiddenwalleye - I'd love to see that monster - post us some pics so we can be jealous!!!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 PM

Where are the pics ?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 AM

34pounds ! Congrats Hidden walleye ....we need a picture ,must be a pig !
Old 09-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Nice laker JR. Congrats.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 PM

Default She was a Beauty!!

..It was mid-August, I caught her at the bottom in 140 feet, she pulled line over and over again, one of the best Laker fights I've had, my other personal best was 33 pounds but that was 10 years ago, when she came to the net she was pretty tuckered out and was starting to roll over so I hooked up my digital scale to the net and lifted it for a quick weight, I made the decision that taking her by the gill plate and lifting her out of the water with her weight crushing her organs would be too much for her, I would have never kept her as I only keep the 6-8 pound lakers, it is criminal to keep anything bigger as this lake needs all the help it can get to keep the main brood stock and for sure a superb genetic specimen like her in lake healthy and ready for the fall spawning!

Believe me, I would have loved a picture but she was too stressed at that point, a 15 minute revival in my release mesh and she was full steam to the Abyss to carry on her genetics and provide future years of excellent stock!!

Sorry guys for no picture but I know I did the right thing in getting her back as quick as I could.!!

P.S. Have a good friend with conservation, they have been doing studies on Cold all year, look for the limit measurement for 2013 to keep a Lake Trout at Cold, minimum 75 cm!

Tight Lines

HW
Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 PM

Please tell him to give his head a shake ! Unless they increase enforcement , its pointless. My avatar is from Athapap , 45.5 inches long but no girth taken , weight is upwards of 45lbs. It got that way because it wasn't kept at 12lbs. Everything over 65 cm should go back !
Old 09-09-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Please tell him to give his head a shake ! Unless they increase enforcement , its pointless. My avatar is from Athapap , 45.5 inches long but no girth taken , weight is upwards of 45lbs. It got that way because it wasn't kept at 12lbs. Everything over 65 cm should go back !
I agree with that statement as well. Seems to be a lot more of the smaller fish of any species. The big ones are the best spawners, and we need to make sure that they can grow to keep the up the population?
Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 PM

Default Nothing Alberta Conservation makes Sense!

I agree, Team Protz, their reasoning is that because Cold Lake is shared with Saskatchewan they cannot put a draw system in place as that province does not have a Draw System in place and they cannot have a Slot Size in place as Saskatchewan does not have one in place as well, they feel that by giving the Lake Trout 3-5 years of spawning before being taken out is the best option they have!

HW
Old 09-10-2012, 07:08 AM

Example of conservation. Athapap was home to the trout festival put on by Flin Flon. As I was told , a new car was the prize for the biggest laker. Started out innocently enough , people would kill and weigh a 25 then catch a 30 weigh it in and so the cycle went. 40-50 lb fish were the winners then it started to drop until and 18lber won it. They brought in the manditory 65cm and over must be released and after many years the monsters are coming back. Tobin was the same way with the pike festival before slots were brought in. With biggest fish of the day and week prizes , big fish were killed on a daily basis. Really hurt. Tobin has rebounded nicely as well . Conservation starts with education and enforcement.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:35 AM
WorldClass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamprotz View Post
Conservation starts with education.
Fixed it for you. For if everyone had the same level of knowledge as the Biologists then there would not be a need for enforcement.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:05 PM

WHATS THE POINT OF HAVING RULES IF a) no one knows them , b) there is no one enforcing them ? There is no reason that Cold Lk shouldn't be putting out at least a few 40lb+ fish every year. I've never even heard of one that size being caught , at least in recent history.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:44 PM

Default F & W was Hard at It.!!

..In my 15 years fishing Cold I have never seen more presence and enforcement than this year, they had trucks just parked in the 2 lot's, and of course the conservation creel surveys at the boat launch, on the water boat checks with F & W and the kicker was on a Saturday night we were out till dark, got the boat up and were heading to our hotel when halfway down the campsite road there was a FULL CHECKSTOP, and they had 3 trucks with boats pulled over with undersized Lakers .

I thought it was more enforcement that I have EVER seen there!!

HW
Old 09-10-2012, 04:26 PM

After the reports from the creel survey , they must have upped enforcement. Great to see ! Or I guess read , haha.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:41 PM

If F &W only had the money to initially invest in a full time officer at the provincial dock, I'm sure he'd cover his wage and then some! Especially during hardwater.
Absolutely shameful what is happening to such a great fishery. Some from poaching but mostly from poor regulation imo.