Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-27-2017, 09:12 PM

Default Fishing Trip

During the first week of June, my son is treating me to a father/son fishing road trip for my 55th birthday. The plan is to drive from Edmonton to Hope, do a day charter on the Fraser for Sturgeon, and then head to Victoria for a day charter for salmon/halibut. Since we'll be driving and tenting, we're hoping to line up some nice lakes (preferably with campgrounds) along the way. We'll also have an aluminum boat with a trolling motor.

For those of you who are familiar with that area, would you have any good recommendations?

Thanks.

Brian
Old 02-27-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlehr View Post
During the first week of June, my son is treating me to a father/son fishing road trip for my 55th birthday. The plan is to drive from Edmonton to Hope, do a day charter on the Fraser for Sturgeon, and then head to Victoria for a day charter for salmon/halibut. Since we'll be driving and tenting, we're hoping to line up some nice lakes (preferably with campgrounds) along the way. We'll also have an aluminum boat with a trolling motor.

For those of you who are familiar with that area, would you have any good recommendations?

Thanks.

Brian
I'd recommend port renfrew for salmon and halibut charter. Would be well worth the two hour drive from victoria cause the fishing won't be too hot yet in June around victoria.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-27-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I'd recommend port renfrew for salmon and halibut charter. Would be well worth the two hour drive from victoria cause the fishing won't be too hot yet in June around victoria.
Good to know. Thanks!

To add to my previous post, here's more info:

1. Lakes and camping along the main route, or not too far off.
2. Route will be Hwy 16 (Yellowhead) from Edmonton up through Jasper and Mt. Robson; then BC5.
3. Not a large boat, maybe 11 feet (transported on top of my van), with electric trolling motor.
4. Mainly gear fishing with bait, rapalas, spoons, etc.

We're taking about 8 days for the trip, so we're looking forward to enjoying the great BC outdoors.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 AM

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime, have fun fellas.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 01:06 AM

Buy your BC licences online if you can. Going west of Jasper to BC you may pass some fishable water before you hit a town that has licences for sale. With an 11 ft. boat you will have to stick to smaller lakes. Winds and weather can come in quick in the mountains. Really study up the regs as the regs can vary depending on the zone. http://www.fishing.gov.bc.ca/

Get yourself a Southwestern BC Fishing Mapbook - 4th Edition Fishing Maps. It covers much of the area you will be driving through. Lots of places to consider.
http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/fish...ishing-maps-52

Your tackle is fine. If you plan to troll consider a K5 or K7 "quikfish" flatfish by itself with a couple split shot weights to take it down 3 or 4 feet below the surface. Or go deeper with a willowleaf gangtroll and flatfish 3 feet behind.

The kamloops/shushwap/okanagan area has a lifetime of fishable waters to explore.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-28-2017, 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. :-)
Old 02-28-2017, 07:18 PM

try stump lake south of kamloops for kokanee right by highway to Merritt
Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 PM

Default Lakes on route

You could give Nicola Lk a try its just outside Merritt and there is a nice campground on the lake, decent trout fishing there. Also theres a bunch of lakes just outside Kamloops that are worth a go as well, Roche Lk is really good campsites there are more rustic however, there is a lodge with a store there thou. You could also hit the trout highway at Little Fort and that area is scattered with lakes. Good Luck and have a great trip.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:06 PM

If you want some good Kokanee fishing it's worth the 20 min drive up highway 24 to bridge lake. There is provincial campground or resort. Good Kokanee upwards 3lb. PM me if u r in the area it's my base for the summer and will get u on the fish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk