Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-06-2010, 08:31 AM

Default Lake trout fishing ( cold lake)

Turned on Tv this morning and was hoping to see some kind of ice fishing show on....WRONG !

Lake trout fishing instead !
So here is the off toppic Question !
When down rigging,I have been told the norm is to just strip off around 12 ft then attach it to your down rigger.
Why not cast out as far as you can or even up to 100 ft,then attach it to down rigger so the bait is not around the current of the ball or boat and all the sounds everything gives off?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Turned on Tv this morning and was hoping to see some kind of ice fishing show on....WRONG !

Lake trout fishing instead !
So here is the off toppic Question !
When down rigging,I have been told the norm is to just strip off around 12 ft then attach it to your down rigger.
Why not cast out as far as you can or even up to 100 ft,then attach it to down rigger so the bait is not around the current of the ball or boat and all the sounds everything gives off?
Never ran down riggers here used them on lake Ontario would run 50 to 60 ft behind boat then set depth some guys run 100 or better.12 ft seems short but can depend on size of fishable area.

H
Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 AM

Live in Cold Lake and have run riggers both here and Northern Ont.If you cast out or leave more than 15 ft off the ball then your presentation is not the same as the depth of your ball. Will tend to run higher and wander more.I run more than 1 swivel as well to prevent tangling up to my bait,which will happen with lots of line off the ball. Sometimes 2 or three and not those cheap ones from Wally world.This is only my findings and opinion
Old 11-06-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

You have arrived "On Station" and you see nice bottom at 100 feet with a bait plume above it. In the area around the bait plume you see marks here and there, these marks are usually game fish feeding on the bait. The colorscope shows them at about 45 feet down. I like to put out my Downriggers before I put out the surface baits. So take the ball and attach it to the wire from the downrigger. Swivel the downrigger outboard so that it is at a 45 degree angle to the boat hull. Attach the pressure clip to the ball. Now rig your bait on the rod that you will be using for the downrigger. Toss the bait overboard and let it out a minimum of 30 feet. This is the mistake that most people make when using downriggers is that they do not put out enough line between the bait and the downrigger ball. Now take the line and double it over to form a loop. Twist the loop 2 or 3 times and put the tip on the loop in the jaws of the pressure clip. Now this takes a little coordination to do by yourself and it is easier if someone else holds the pole. Now at the same time release the wire on the downrigger while the reel on the pole is in free spool with your thumb on the reel to prevent back lashes. Let them both out at about the same rate. It will take a couple try's to get this right so don't feel bad if things don't go right the first time. Just try again. You'll get the hang of it. I usually troll at a speed around 4 knots. So if I want the baits at 45 feet I will let out about 60 feet of wire. That's what the number gauge on the downrigger is for. You can check the depth on your color scope by slowing down and if your transducer in on the stern like mine is you will be able to see the ball on the color scope. When the bait has reached the desired depth lock the downrigger in position and set the drag on the reel. Now sing "Here FISHY FISHY" while dancing on one leg with your right arm flapping like a chicken.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:29 AM

good one, how does the singing work for you??Dancing??
Old 11-06-2010, 11:38 AM

Horsetrader thats some good info you are gaving me .Thanks alot that should help alot. just wondering if you use a flasher or a willow leaf setup just before your hook or do you use mostly a herring.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyee33 View Post
good one, how does the singing work for you??Dancing??
The singing is good any time but the dancein you don't want to do late in the year cold weather wet deck a little dancein and you can end up swimmin LOL

H
Old 11-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Horsetrader thats some good info you are gaving me .Thanks alot that should help alot. just wondering if you use a flasher or a willow leaf setup just before your hook or do you use mostly a herring.
Run a 8 or 11 in. flasher then 2 ft to 5 ft leader then lure or bait.just not to heavy a lure it will take action out of the flasher.have never fished cold lake not sure of the size or fishing area so tyee33 could tell you better for size of flasher and leader. Used this set up on Lake Ontario one big mother lake never hurts to listen to locals .

H
Old 11-06-2010, 02:27 PM

Default What's the loop for ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
You have arrived "On Station" and you see nice bottom at 100 feet with a bait plume above it. In the area around the bait plume you see marks here and there, these marks are usually game fish feeding on the bait. The colorscope shows them at about 45 feet down. I like to put out my Downriggers before I put out the surface baits. So take the ball and attach it to the wire from the downrigger. Swivel the downrigger outboard so that it is at a 45 degree angle to the boat hull. Attach the pressure clip to the ball. Now rig your bait on the rod that you will be using for the downrigger. Toss the bait overboard and let it out a minimum of 30 feet. This is the mistake that most people make when using downriggers is that they do not put out enough line between the bait and the downrigger ball. Now take the line and double it over to form a loop. Twist the loop 2 or 3 times and put the tip on the loop in the jaws of the pressure clip. Now this takes a little coordination to do by yourself and it is easier if someone else holds the pole. Now at the same time release the wire on the downrigger while the reel on the pole is in free spool with your thumb on the reel to prevent back lashes. Let them both out at about the same rate. It will take a couple try's to get this right so don't feel bad if things don't go right the first time. Just try again. You'll get the hang of it. I usually troll at a speed around 4 knots. So if I want the baits at 45 feet I will let out about 60 feet of wire. That's what the number gauge on the downrigger is for. You can check the depth on your color scope by slowing down and if your transducer in on the stern like mine is you will be able to see the ball on the color scope. When the bait has reached the desired depth lock the downrigger in position and set the drag on the reel. Now sing "Here FISHY FISHY" while dancing on one leg with your right arm flapping like a chicken.

I fish Cold Lake quite a bit your set up sounds very much what we do, it sounds like you have more experience in interpreting the data from the depth spender that I. I have been using 30 ft.behind the cannon ball as my guideline but what is the twisted loop in the line clipped into the clothespin meant to do ?
Old 11-06-2010, 03:33 PM

I would say extra grip when you have lots of line out.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptik View Post
I fish Cold Lake quite a bit your set up sounds very much what we do, it sounds like you have more experience in interpreting the data from the depth spender that I. I have been using 30 ft.behind the cannon ball as my guideline but what is the twisted loop in the line clipped into the clothespin meant to do ?
You are right in a way JR. The twist and loop keeps the line from slipping through the pressure clip when you are lowering the ball. It also stop a premature release if a fish slaps at the lure.And you know no man wants a premature release at any time

H
Old 11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
lemmotlow

The deeper you fish the shorter the line off the ball, and vice verasa.