Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-10-2017, 08:53 PM

Default Saudi Arabia & Iran on war footing?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/10/saud...ommentary.html

Wouldn’t this be awful? If things escalate there is of course the horror of war, but secondly we would still only be selling to the USA when a barrel of oil could quadruple in price! I’d rather we had more pipelines than we need than too few.

More refugees, international chaos, the full meal deal. God I’m glad that we’re physically isolated from that region.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Banned

This is something to be watching. The start of something major, for sure.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:08 PM
Banned

The scariest thing is the NDP in Alberta would be considered miracle workers if oil were to hit 80/bbl nevermind $200/bbl.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Banned

This could turn scary real quick. That region is so unstable that it would most likely spread like wildfire.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:02 PM

I love how they write, the threat of a war is becoming more credible. So a threat is becoming more credible. What exactly does that mean? The threat of me dying from a heart attack is becoming more credible because I had lunch at McDonald’s. It doesn’t mean a heart attack is imminent. Sounds more like they are trying to stir the pot to get ratings. other than business as normal for the Middle East. They’ve been fighting each other since the beginning of time, that is nothing new.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:08 PM

Take a collection and send them some bullets.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:05 PM

When the Irving refineries can't get their Mid East oil by ship, and they have to lay off workers because they don't have any feed stock. Energy East will be asked, begged, and prayed for.

Other than that, a prolonged war in the sand box is a destabilizing event. Plus it's tough the people over there too.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-11-2017, 12:05 AM

With the recent purge's in Saudi from the arrests of princes and other high ranking officials to the suspicious helicopter crash that took out a prince and a bunch of other officials who were on board in what was surely just coincidental timing, who knows what might happen? I only posted it as a mental exercise on the 'what if' of how it would affect our politically-hamstringed O&G industry. Lord knows there are enough what if's, but this one struck me as something that it would be nice for us to be prepared in terms of infrastructure to take up some of the slack in resulting market demand.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
With the recent purge's in Saudi from the arrests of princes and other high ranking officials to the suspicious helicopter crash that took out a prince and a bunch of other officials who were on board in what was surely just coincidental timing, who knows what might happen? I only posted it as a mental exercise on the 'what if' of how it would affect our politically-hamstringed O&G industry. Lord knows there are enough what if's, but this one struck me as something that it would be nice for us to be prepared in terms of infrastructure to take up some of the slack in resulting market demand.
i heard this on the bbc. why did the lebanese PM resign last week and what did kushner say in saudi arabia before all this started?
http://www.arabnews.com/node/1190766/saudi-arabia
Old 11-11-2017, 07:27 AM

Its too bad Energy East isnt done and its getting colder out east and the pipelines only run south.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Default Oh! the irony!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
i heard this on the bbc. why did the lebanese PM resign last week and what did kushner say in saudi arabia before all this started?
http://www.arabnews.com/node/1190766/saudi-arabia
Given their history of supporting terrorism in the region, this statement from Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir is particularly amusing:
Quote:
In an interview to CNBC's Hadley Gamble, he said: "Hezbollah put roadblocks in front of every initiative that Prime Minister Hariri tried to implement. Hezbollah has pretty much hijacked the Lebanese system. It has been the instrument that Iran used to dominate Lebanon, the instrument that Iran used to interfere with Syria, with Hamas, and with the Houthis. We see Hezbollah’s mischief all over the region. Hezbollah has been responsible for smuggling weapons into Bahrain. Hezbollah is involved in criminal activity, such as drug dealing and money laundering."

He urged the international community to take a firm stand against Hezbollah.

"We are saying that the world has to make sure that we designate Hezbollah as a terrorist organization. There can be no difference between a political wing and a militant wing. The world needs to take action in terms of curtailing Hezbollah's activities, and the world needs to push back against Hezbollah wherever they operate. We cannot allow Lebanon to be a platform from which harm comes to Saudi Arabia."

Al-Jubeir described the Lebanese people as innocent.

"The Lebanese people have been dominated by Hezbollah and we need to find a way to help the Lebanese people come out from under the thumb of Hezbollah," he said. "We cannot allow Lebanon to be a base from which attacks against Saudi Arabia can take place and we are urging the Lebanese government in particular to take firm and resolute action against Hezbollah."

On possible Saudi measures against Hezbollah, he said: "We are looking at various options and in consultations with our friends and allies around the world to see what is the most effective way of dealing with the menace called Hezbollah."
Maybe Saudi Arabia should ask the "war-mongering" Isrealis for ideas on how to deal with the peaceful Lebanese organization known as Hezbollah; they've been dealing with it since its inception in the 1950's. (that's the sarcasm font, for anyone not sure)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
When the Irving refineries can't get their Mid East oil by ship, and they have to lay off workers because they don't have any feed stock. Energy East will be asked, begged, and prayed for.

Other than that, a prolonged war in the sand box is a destabilizing event. Plus it's tough the people over there too.
This. Irving is extremely anti Canadian for running his refinery the way he does. Probably donated heavily to Trudeau.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:03 PM

Interesting. But I never heard of this tilll now
Old 11-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Banned

Default mays be ...

a GD time to buy OIL !

... and one of those new 60 inch curved rigs from sams 'ung

Last edited by TBD; 11-12-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:33 PM

I just hope that if those two decide to go at it, the rest of the world's major players stay out.

That's my hope but probably not going to happen.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:15 AM

Interesting
Old 11-13-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
This. Irving is extremely anti Canadian for running his refinery the way he does. Probably donated heavily to Trudeau.

And how is his running of the refinery anti-Canadian?

I assume you don't realize they had signed on with Energy east and were upset at it's cancellation.

As for a Saudi/Iranian war... If all the conspiracy theorists are correct, shouldn't the evil oil companies be starting that war in a few days?

Last edited by Okotokian; 11-13-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:06 PM
Banned

I'm subscribed to a number of U.S. Government and military forums.
The main concern is what is going on in Lebanon, which is now controlled be Hezbolha, which is now pretty much a terrorist organization and is funded by Iran.
Everyone from Saudi Arabia to Isreal is very concerned...most Middle East states are telling any of their citizens in Lebanon to leave NOW.
Yeah...this could turn nasty.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:16 PM

It is really bad to have those cou tries degenerate into some form of all out war.

That is about 14.6 million barrels of daily oil production between the two. Knocking out even 50% of that or even 30% would cause untold harm to the global economy. Any temporary benefit to us would be far outstripped by oil shortages and their effects on the global economy.

The middle east oil is the life blood of the planets economy and in such tulmultous places it is hard to see them getting beaten down by more war. They have endured quite the nightmare over the past century as everyone battles as well as themselves battle over their territories. If they arent in civil war or war with a neighbour the west is actively manipulating the area or invading these cou tries/having proxy wars.

Thankfully our oil is garbage and no one wants control of it haha
Old 11-21-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

And now what is Lebanon up to?

http://m.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conf...-border-514782

Quote:
BEIRUT - Lebanon's army chief urged "full readiness" at the southern border to face the "threats of the Israeli enemy and its violations," the army said in a tweet on Tuesday.

Army Commander General Joseph Aoun called on soldiers to be ever vigilant for the "good implementation" of the UN resolution 1701 to "preserve stability" at the border with Israel.

The Lebanese army is responsible for security on its side of the border under the resolution that ended the 2006 war between Israel and Lebanon's Hezbollah.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Banned

The people of Yemen are the real victims and caught between two factions of Islam. We are going to see refugee migration similar to Syria. I certainly hope for the innocents suffering children and elderly they are being deliberately starved by the Saudis. That they find refuge and food fast.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendrake View Post
The people of Yemen are the real victims and caught between two factions of Islam. We are going to see refugee migration similar to Syria. I certainly hope for the innocents suffering children and elderly they are being deliberately starved by the Saudis. That they find refuge and food fast.
Just the Saudi's eh? How about American involvement? And how many billions of dollars in arms have the USA sold to Saudi Arabia? How's the arms deal between Canada and Saudi Arabia going?

Missile launch - blamed on Iran - from Yemen into Saudi Arabia. Bahrain pipeline explosion blamed on Iran. Billions more in arms sold to Saudi Arabia.

Are people seeing the picture yet? War is a wonderful business.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Banned

They should just turn that whole desert region to glass...
Old 11-21-2017, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spank View Post
They should just turn that whole desert region to glass...
yup !!!
Old 11-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Just the Saudi's eh? How about American involvement? And how many billions of dollars in arms have the USA sold to Saudi Arabia? How's the arms deal between Canada and Saudi Arabia going?

Missile launch - blamed on Iran - from Yemen into Saudi Arabia. Bahrain pipeline explosion blamed on Iran. Billions more in arms sold to Saudi Arabia.

Are people seeing the picture yet? War is a wonderful business.
There's always enough blame to go around. My thoughts are with innocents caught in the middle simple people farmers and labourers who just want to live in peace and raise a family. There has to be a little compassion for them is there not?
Old 11-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

I'm truly amazed that people don't know history.

Turn it all to glass? Just who is the aggressor? I find it amazing that folks can turn a blind eye to what the "west" has done to the world in the last hundred years - and call it fair. The world has reasons to be angry with the west don't they...
Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
I'm truly amazed that people don't know history.

Turn it all to glass? Just who is the aggressor? I find it amazing that folks can turn a blind eye to what the "west" has done to the world in the last hundred years - and call it fair. The world has reasons to be angry with the west don't they...
Well said.
Most people dont know history. The real history.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
Well said.
No they don't ... without the American investment the Middle East would be a sandy pile of people in poverty and still fighting over nothing but religious belief's ... can't change stupidity !!!
Old 11-22-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
Well said.
How about recent history? Who would have thought that Obama's illegal nuclear treaty with Iran (not ratified by congress or senate), and releasing approx. $140 billion to the #1 state sponsor of terrorism (Iran) at the same time would have started a M.E. arms race?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by histyle View Post
the #1 state sponsor of terrorism

Actually that would be Saudi Arabia.... but then they're "our" terrorists. Bin Laden? Saudi. Who funded ISIS? Saudi. Where is all the money coming from for the most radical mosques being set up in the west? Saudi....