Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2022, 07:42 PM

Default Muir Lake

Anybody fishing Muir Lake this May? Last year found a few nice fish but only tried for about 2 hours just after opening day this year and had nary a sniff.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:20 AM

Tried twice in the last week. Had a few stocker bites, few rises here and there, very very murky water, one 15"-16" fish landed. Total of 9 hours fishing on the water.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:29 AM

Bad summerkill of fish last year in the heat wave. I noticed the water quality is poor as well. Any ideas on what is up with that?
Old 06-01-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsuplander View Post
Bad summerkill of fish last year in the heat wave. I noticed the water quality is poor as well. Any ideas on what is up with that?
Talked with a guy late this afternoon when he was just leaving Muir. He knows the lake very well but 3 trips this year for him have been very disappointing: "water is murky again and where are the chironomids"?
Old 06-02-2022, 07:46 AM

Man, haven't been there in years and this post confirms why I won't go back. I think they choose poorly for one of the first "quality" trout lakes (i.e. slough).
Old 06-04-2022, 09:52 AM

I agree. Muir is a very eutrophic lake, which means alot of biotic potential, but the weed growth and lack of water depth make it overly difficult to fish. It did grow big fish but other lakes in the area may have been better options for a "quality" fishery. I have been really shocked by the colour and turbidity of the water. Not the 'prettiest" place to spend time on the water. It saddens me as it was my go to place to fish over the last 8 years.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:16 AM

https://www.alberta.ca/water-indicat...ic-status.aspx

This is a good read on the subject of eutrophication.

Lower water levels will increase TP (total phosphorous) concentrations. In addition highly eutrophic lakes often have soft "loon sh*t" bottom structure caused by years of decaying biomass. In shallower waters, wave and wind action can increase disturbance of bottom sediments which mix through the water column.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:35 PM

Decided to take my fare share of abuse and tried Muir for an hour this afternoon. Did not try chironomids. Worked a Booby under a sinking line, something that worked for me last year under similar conditions (cloud and wind). Not a hit. A few damsels and dragons flying around. Clarity is maybe a foot. Pelicans are having a feast cruising the shorelines gobbling up little guys.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:13 AM

I went to muir lake last week for about 5 hours. Got 3 small rainbows on a black leech.

I did see a few small trout take something from the surface but besides that it was pretty slow.