Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2022, 07:44 AM

Default Cheap vs Expensive sinking fly lines?

Can someone explain to me the benefits of spending $100 or more vs $30-$40 for a sinking fly line?
To me, they seem to all perform the same.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:22 AM

I have a sinking line on my 8wt and last year I got my girlfriend a modestly priced 8wt and reel to get her started with streamer fishing. My line I spent around $120 if I remember correctly and hers I spent maybe $50. Can't remember the specific brands for either. The thing I notice the most when I cast her setup is the cheaper line has a bit of memory, less sensitivity, the taper seems a bit off so the flies don't layout quite as nice, and the coating feels less durable. We only use these rods when we target pike, walleye, browns or bulls with big streamers so sensitivity and laying out a fly nicely are not deal breakers. Overall I'd recommend spending more on dry fly lines or nymphing setups where you want that sensitivity and high quality line to layout delicate presentations. With those types of setups you'll notice the value in the higher quality lines a lot more.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brovacs View Post
I have a sinking line on my 8wt and last year I got my girlfriend a modestly priced 8wt and reel to get her started with streamer fishing. My line I spent around $120 if I remember correctly and hers I spent maybe $50. Can't remember the specific brands for either. The thing I notice the most when I cast her setup is the cheaper line has a bit of memory, less sensitivity, the taper seems a bit off so the flies don't layout quite as nice, and the coating feels less durable. We only use these rods when we target pike, walleye, browns or bulls with big streamers so sensitivity and laying out a fly nicely are not deal breakers. Overall I'd recommend spending more on dry fly lines or nymphing setups where you want that sensitivity and high quality line to layout delicate presentations. With those types of setups you'll notice the value in the higher quality lines a lot more.
Thank you for your thoughts.

Regarding "a bit of memory", I've found the Rio AqualuxII line (>$100) to be horrible for memory coils.
I don't know where "sensitivity" plays a role in the line. I think it is the rod.
Regarding tapers, different fly lines have lots of different tapers and fly turnover can also be a factor of the rod and the person casting it.
"the coating feels less durable" doesn't prove anything. It may prove to be more durable.

I agree with your thoughts on dry fly lines, but they have nothing to do with the original question.

Judging from the number of responses, I have to believe that I am not alone in my thoughts on sinking fly lines.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:07 AM

Default yup

I agree with BungMan, However, that is no guarantee in all cases.

I once purchased a top quality fly line and the thing simply would not uncoil, despite me doing all I could to get rid of the memory. And this was out of the box, not after sitting on my reel for 1 or 2 seasons. It may have been that it was sitting on the store shelf for a couple of years before I bought it.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:05 PM

I fish full sinks 95% of the time when I am fishing from banks and I'm out a far amount.

I fish Type 7, typically Rio mainstreams. Rios are trash and break down after 40 outings, but cast far better than most I've tried and the ability to mend is impressive. To me that's key to streamer fishing.
However Rio doesn't make a 4wt sinking in type 7 anymore so I'll have to search out another option.

If you are looking for good, less expensive sinker, try a Rio Mainstream.

I find a lot of angler's full sinks coil and i think there is one reason for this in my opinion.
the angler purchases the cheapest option because, you know it's just your sinking line and then it is rarely used.

Stretch your lines out.

Find a tree 50' away
Loop your line around the tree
Pull your line against the tree, not until you crack the coating though.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
I fish full sinks 95% of the time when I am fishing from banks and I'm out a far amount.

I fish Type 7, typically Rio mainstreams. Rios are trash and break down after 40 outings, but cast far better than most I've tried and the ability to mend is impressive. To me that's key to streamer fishing.
However Rio doesn't make a 4wt sinking in type 7 anymore so I'll have to search out another option.

If you are looking for good, less expensive sinker, try a Rio Mainstream.

I find a lot of angler's full sinks coil and i think there is one reason for this in my opinion.
the angler purchases the cheapest option because, you know it's just your sinking line and then it is rarely used.

Stretch your lines out.

Find a tree 50' away
Loop your line around the tree
Pull your line against the tree, not until you crack the coating though.
Stretching your line in this manner will inevitably cause cracking of the line sooner or later.

Type 7, full sink, mending? Now that would be impressive to see.

I have many expensive and cheaper sinking lines of most line weights and Types. The differences between the expensive and cheap are not obvious to me. That's why I asked the question originally.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:54 PM

Cheap lines may sink however their sink rate may be unknown.

If the presentation requires most specialized lines be prepared to pay.
For lake fishing, i have a number if sinking lines from hover, sink rates 2,4, 6 + a 15’ sink tip. on my pontoon boat.
The only time I carried sinking lines for rivers was the Bow when I used shooting heads and type 6 or lead core lines in the 80’s.

Don
Old 04-01-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BungMan View Post
Stretching your line in this manner will inevitably cause cracking of the line sooner or later.

Type 7, full sink, mending? Now that would be impressive to see.

I have many expensive and cheaper sinking lines of most line weights and Types. The differences between the expensive and cheap are not obvious to me. That's why I asked the question originally.
Ha, ha, well said. Maybe one can mend a Type 6 or 7 sink tip but full sinking???

Anyway, should one be concerned with presentation with a sinking line?
Old 06-15-2022, 12:08 AM

Here is some help from an old guy. Airflo lines are made from , I believe it is polyetheline, correct me if I'm wrong. Any way they will last longer than a PVC line that Rio, Cortland, Scientific make and the cheepo lines from china. Like any line they will coil a bit till you use it each time. You would coil also if I spun you on a 3 inch reel and left you that way for days on end.
Really they are very ,very good. All my single habd lines are now from Airflo. Yup you will pay a pretty penny for them. They are also very durable and will last a hell od a lot longer than the PVC line.
Bjay
Have been casting for 65 years and I have tried almost every line out there at some time or other.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:03 PM

I believe all but a couple of the sinkers and shooting heads I have are SA, they've lasted me many years, still doing what they are supposed to do, been buying mostly Airflo for the floaters, may have a couple Rio's mixed in in there somewhere. I have sinkers from 1/2"/sec to 550gr heads that sink like rocks. Never really worried about what a line cost me as long as it would do what I wanted it to, although I bought a number of the more oddball ones on sale.
Only line I have had trouble with was the Cortland 555 clear, couldn't get the coils out, took it back and got a refund.