Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Outdoorsman View Post
What do you guys wear for hunting? I normally put on 15km+ A day during hunting season, and my Muck boots are not the most ideal boots. Curious on what everyone uses. I hear Irish settlers are a good boot
I have a pair of Irish Setter 860 Elk Tracker Boots, they are good and I use them during winter hunting. I also own Itasca Mossy Oak Cordura H20 Boots which I bought from Canadian Tire. So far, they are the BEST in terms of comfort and they're easy on the wallet.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Id481 View Post
I have a pair of Irish Setter 860 Elk Tracker Boots, they are good and I use them during winter hunting. I also own Itasca Mossy Oak Cordura H20 Boots which I bought from Canadian Tire. So far, they are the BEST in terms of comfort and they're easy on the wallet.
I have found Itasca boots to be really comfortable. Wish I would have had those on my last hike! My feet are still swollen...
Old 09-21-2021, 06:12 PM

Default boots of choice

Handwags
Old 09-21-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletman View Post
Handwags
Hey, it’s my favourite AOer. You need to come back. We miss great guys like you. The place is just not the same without you. You added much to the forum.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:17 PM

Whats the consensus on Zamberlan boots? Looked at some today seem like quality boots much like my Hanwags maybe even better.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:31 PM

Default Boots

I am currently using some Lowa Tibet GTX and am very happy with them. I have worn Miendl from cabelas before and they were decent as well. But If I had to buy again it would be the Lowa's.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasinator View Post
Whats the consensus on Zamberlan boots? Looked at some today seem like quality boots much like my Hanwags maybe even better.
Used Zams for a number of years, great boots. Really like the Crispis I have now though.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils View Post
I am currently using some Lowa Tibet GTX and am very happy with them. I have worn Miendl from cabelas before and they were decent as well. But If I had to buy again it would be the Lowa's.
I’ve been using Zamberlan Tofanes. They are awesome but my feet are too narrow for them. Waterproof like crazy and bulletproof.

I use Hanwag Alaska GTX (womens sizes for narrower fit) now for sheep. Much lighter and seem to hold up ok. Jury is still out. My friend has water issues with his after only two seasons.

As soon as Kenetrek has their narrow Mt Extreme 10” boots in stock I am making the switch right away
Old 09-30-2021, 09:35 PM

Default 2 cents

Lots of factors of course - your feet shape, terrain etc.

I have a pair of Zams that are very good and a great fit for me. Downside is I find them hot in the summer (have the Gortex) and the tread while good, it's hard to clear mud out of it. I do find the heel rub an issue on steep inclines.

I use Lowa Tibet GTX's for a number of years now. They have been excellent. Very good spacing for toes and heels and they are heavy duty. They have some kind of tech that getting rid of hot air via holes in the sole. I carry a pack and often do 15-25km a day. They are not light however, so they might be overkill for some. Once I wear the sole down I can also get them resoled apparently.

I've had a few North American boots but from experience, I would go with European made hiking boots as the quality is generally higher and longer lasting....if you're up into the mountains frequently. But, they are not cheap of course. But "I was never so rich I could afford poor quality."
Old 09-30-2021, 09:58 PM

I'e used Danner, Meindal and browning. I now wear Miendels. They fit me well and work for me
Old 10-01-2021, 01:03 PM

Default Get measured properly!

Proper boots is such a vital part of a successful, enjoyable hunt. This year I finally found a pair of boots that fit me properly for sheep hunting and what a game changer. I’ve spent the big dollars on Kenetreks and the like only to trash my feet for numerous hikes out of pure stubbornness not accepting that they don’t fit. I followed the recommendation of buying a 1/2 size smaller (absolutely do not do this), and I tried different sock and tape combos. This year I went to a place in Calgary called Norseman and they measured my feet properly. The young lad there spent the better part of an hour helping me and talking boots. All this time I thought I had a super wide foot, not at all, I have a “square toe box”. Another thing he pointed out is to use the European sizing, its quite a bit more accurate and doesn’t always convert. I am a 45EU which can vary by brand between 11 1/2 & 12 1/2. After trying on 7-8 pairs, I walked out of there with a set of Mammut that felt like my foot was wrapped in marshmallow. I can’t even tell you what a difference this made in my health and wellness on the mountain. As mentioned here several times, the absolute best boot for you is the one that fits. Go get yourself measured by a pro and happy hunting
Old 10-02-2021, 12:47 PM

I love my scarpas, but it’s all about what fits your foot best. Find a store with good customer service and knowledge and try on a pile of boots.
Old 06-12-2022, 07:14 AM

If your putting that many kms on do your self a favour and look at hiking boots. I have had the elk trackers and they are garbage. The tread wears fast they soak up water like a sponge you can feel the rocks through the sole and why do they make them so uncomfortably tall? No one knows it isn’t for support there isn’t any there but some people think you need it so it sells. You can run a regular hiking boot that will be lighter and have more support and if it’s wet or rainy just put on a pair of gortex gators. I have scarpa Kinesis pros and it feels like I’m walking on clouds. now that I’ve switched to a hiking boot I wonder why for all those years I insisted on using a hunting branded tall boot. Your best bet it to go to a hiking store and try on a pile of different boots in your price range some
Brands will fit you better let the boots choose you.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:56 PM

I wear Hanwag trapper tops year round almost daily. Had to go up a size for fit.
The better online stores will send you several pairs with free returns. I’m out in the sticks so that’s what I did. Just be ready to explain the credit card statement to the wife.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:04 AM

Buy once; cry once....

If you buy the cheapies, you will be buying new boots more often. And remember the discomfort in breaking them in...

Personally, I get the best fit from my Danners.

Tip: When you go to try the boots on, bring with you, the actual socks you will be wearing.

Good luck.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 06-13-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:11 AM

I've had good luck with Irish Setter
Old 06-13-2022, 10:46 AM

As I mentioned earlier, I love my Elk Trackers and the extra height is awesome when it is wet in the swamps I like to hunt. I also have pack boots but haven't needed them for years as the 1000gr Elk Trackers are plenty warm.

What I had been missing was an upland boot for when it is warm. In wet conditions I generally wear muck boots but they are too warm on the fair weather days. I have an awesome pair of Euro made Meindl boots but unless it is near zero my feet sweat in these as well even though they are uninsulated.

Picked up a pair of Irish Setter VaprTrek and so far am loving them. Glorified sneakers but with lots of support and surprisingly water proof. They are light and cool on the feet and required no break in. I have been on several shed hunting hikes with them and I certainly hope they last a few years. They were on sale at Cabelas and few other spots as they must be replacing the model.
Old 06-13-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I love my Elk Trackers and the extra height is awesome when it is wet in the swamps I like to hunt. I also have pack boots but haven't needed them for years as the 1000gr Elk Trackers are plenty warm.
Totally agree with the above statement!
Cat
Old 06-13-2022, 01:07 PM

If im in the tree stand i wear my muck boots and walking i wear my meindles or my Keen hikers
Old 06-15-2022, 10:00 AM

Had Hanwags, Lowas, kennetreks and none stood out with Hanwags being best fit for me. Went with the lathrop amd sons mountain extremes with the custom fit orthotic insoles. Definitely a game changer but the price tag was 1200 Canadian. Now that I have the insoles the next pair through them will more reasonable. Definitely recommend them.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:10 AM

Best is to try a bunch on and see what your foot likes.
We've got hanwags, lowa and danners. Wife swears by her lowas, wears them almost everyday even to work. I love my danner elk hunters but they're a little heavy. And the hanwags my son wont let me try them so I assume there awesome.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:37 AM

Agreed-the best boot that I have found for the money. And they ain't cheap!

Last edited by Lost Arrow; 06-15-2022 at 11:58 AM. Reason: I forgot to mention that I was referencing Hanwags
Old 06-15-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Outdoorsman View Post
I’ll swing into cabelas the next time I’m in the city, try a couple different pairs on.
I bought a pair of Cabelas Meindle European nor the ones made in Indonesia or Thailand or w Wherever boots. They started falling apart after the first year and one was bigger then the other although both the same size 1/10 would not recommend

As a youth a bout a pair of wolverine boots and while they were ok for comfort they were almost indestructible but sadly I wasn’t quite done growing when I bought them so outgrew they things
Old 06-15-2022, 02:22 PM

Default Hunting boots

I agree with others here all about what fits if you need a wide foot, time of year your out, but I’ve used Irish setters elk trackers for years last year I bought a new pair of Irish settlers they were the pinnacles with the BOA system integrated into it so it’s the laceless model, which id buy an other pair tomorrow if something happened to these ! absolutely love them but it’s all really about personal preference when it comes to boots

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2022, 12:29 PM

Default Hanawag

I've tried almost everything. My Hanawags are worth every penny and I have yet to find another boot that can stand up to them. I've got high top Mendels and they are good but nothing touches Hanawags!
Old 06-23-2022, 10:15 PM
Banned

Lowa tibet
Old 06-24-2022, 06:18 AM

Its all about individual fit but I haven't found better boots for the $$ than Lowa Tibet GTX and Hanwag Alaska GTX.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:28 AM

I have Had Danner’s, Hanwag’s and lowa’s. Prefer the Lowa Camino’s.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

What I had been missing was an upland boot for when it is warm. In wet conditions I generally wear muck boots but they are too warm on the fair weather days. I have an awesome pair of Euro made Meindl boots but unless it is near zero my feet sweat in these as well even though they are uninsulated.

Picked up a pair of Irish Setter VaprTrek and so far am loving them. Glorified sneakers but with lots of support and surprisingly water proof. They are light and cool on the feet and required no break in. I have been on several shed hunting hikes with them and I certainly hope they last a few years. They were on sale at Cabelas and few other spots as they must be replacing the model.
Had the vaporteks as well and very comfortable ...enjoy them while they last, mine wore completely out in one season
I've had Danners and they were good but wanted to try somethong else so bought Hanwags ...no complaints so far.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2022, 03:40 PM

Here is a nice boot, Italian made so fits just a bit narrower than the german made boots. https://bakershoe.com/products/981-wasatch-gtx-rr . Bakers Boots has an awesome selection of hunting boots. This Zamberlan 981 also comes in a wide model. My feet like the Italian foot lasts, Salewa, Scarpa and Zamberlan. Great service from Baker's Boots Oregon to Edmonton.