Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-28-2022, 09:35 PM

Default Tree/Climbing saddle

Hello everyone.
Was wondering if anyone uses a saddle for bow hunting. If so, was it a good investment in terms of stay in your hunting gear forever. As well I was wondering if anyone knew of a seller (maybe this site sponsors would know) that you would be able to go and try it out. Maybe have a 5 foot poll or something to test out?. Any insight would be great
Old 04-28-2022, 10:03 PM

I use one. Great piece of gear. Doesnt completely replace a strap on or self climber but i wont be getting rid of mine. I made my own for less than 100$ you could probably make your own.
Old 04-29-2022, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
. I made my own for less than 100$ you could probably make your own.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess I could make my own ( probably won't happen). Glad you enjoy yyours.
Old 05-01-2022, 04:39 PM

Where are you located?

I’ve only used mine a little, but I’m going to keep working out the little details. I feel like it has potential but I’m brand new to hunting from a tree so lots I’m still figuring out.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:23 PM

I went with a recreational tree climbing harness. Apparently climbing trees is a sport now... but anyways it has a lot wider leg pads made so you can hang long periods of time in them.

https://newtribe.com/store/index.php...macet9nqf93co7

Apparently new tribe has their own version of a tree saddle as well

https://aerohunter.us/
Old 05-22-2022, 10:15 AM

Look up JRB tree climbing on YouTube, the guy is a fanatic.

One example
https://youtu.be/BApp0ZiUNY4
Old 05-22-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Look up JRB tree climbing on YouTube, the guy is a fanatic.

One example
https://youtu.be/BApp0ZiUNY4
This above tree climbing uint looks good if your very good with it, but how long does it take to to get 15 ft above the ground, ill still use my screw pegs into the tree, with a safety belt.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
This above tree climbing uint looks good if your very good with it, but how long does it take to to get 15 ft above the ground, ill still use my screw pegs into the tree, with a safety belt.
Most folks use preset paracord and leave it ready to pull up their rope.
There’s also “one sticking” and that can be a fast way to climb.
Screw in steps like you mentioned are a good way to get into a tree too although if I went that way I’d probably hang a stand to sit in.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:42 AM

Default tree stling

Look at this.... under $100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM-YhpUjgYc&t=22s
Old 06-22-2022, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2053 View Post
Interesting, it’s a lot like the torges tree seat. Is highly recommend using climbing rated parts and knots though.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:47 PM
Banned

Screw in pegs with a stand is the way to go
Old 06-24-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckup View Post
Screw in pegs with a stand is the way to go
Except my saddle W Climber is under 6lb all in and easily fits in a back pack, and can be set up ready to hunt in less than 5 minutes almost silently. So a saddle definitely has its place in my kit. As do the hang on and self climber stands i have...

If you go in deep and want to be flexible a saddle is a very good option. If made right they are also very comfortable for long sits
Old 06-26-2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Except my saddle W Climber is under 6lb all in and easily fits in a back pack, and can be set up ready to hunt in less than 5 minutes almost silently. So a saddle definitely has its place in my kit. As do the hang on and self climber stands i have...

If you go in deep and want to be flexible a saddle is a very good option. If made right they are also very comfortable for long sits
What kind of climber do you use?
Old 06-27-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
What kind of climber do you use?
Im pretty sure i have shown you my setup. I use a modified self climbing system that uses the platform and sling to climb trees. Exact same principle as a self climber tree stand. All your weight is on one component with the other is lifted up. So weight is on the platform and the seat/sling is raised, then weight is on the seat/sling while the platform is raised and up you go.....i can get 15 ft in under a minute with little effort. My whole kit everything included is right at 6lbs and easily fits in a small backpack. If a guy really wanted to streamline things a custom foot platform could be made for both additional weight savings and more secure footing...currently my foot rest is a 2" x20" hardwood dowel. But a plastic folding type could easily be designed that could offer even better footing and still be used as your climber...
Old 06-27-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Im pretty sure i have shown you my setup. I use a modified self climbing system that uses the platform and sling to climb trees. Exact same principle as a self climber tree stand. All your weight is on one component with the other is lifted up. So weight is on the platform and the seat/sling is raised, then weight is on the seat/sling while the platform is raised and up you go.....i can get 15 ft in under a minute with little effort. My whole kit everything included is right at 6lbs and easily fits in a small backpack. If a guy really wanted to streamline things a custom foot platform could be made for both additional weight savings and more secure footing...currently my foot rest is a 2" x20" hardwood dowel. But a plastic folding type could easily be designed that could offer even better footing and still be used as your climber...
Right you have…sorry it was a long weekend!
Old 07-21-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Of course, now we need a few pictures and a demo video of how you climb with this setup.
Old 07-21-2022, 12:44 PM

Anyone here use climbing spurs with their saddle setup? If so I'd love to hear the pros and cons and your experience with them.

Thinking about making the switch to tree spurs this year for mobility and cut down weight.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg View Post
Anyone here use climbing spurs with their saddle setup? If so I'd love to hear the pros and cons and your experience with them.

Thinking about making the switch to tree spurs this year for mobility and cut down weight.
I did try them out.... its not for me at all. Really hard on my ankles and knees.
Old 07-21-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Of course, now we need a few pictures and a demo video of how you climb with this setup.
https://youtu.be/GMkAMZo5ggI

So this is not my video but his method is very close to mine. this video is a good example of how easy it is though
Old 07-21-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
https://youtu.be/GMkAMZo5ggI

So this is not my video but his method is very close to mine. this video is a good example of how easy it is though
That's terrific! Thank you.

Always looking for a lighter, faster way of getting up into a tree. Especially as I get a bit older...
Old 07-21-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
That's terrific! Thank you.

Always looking for a lighter, faster way of getting up into a tree. Especially as I get a bit older...
Its by far the easiest/ fastest method i have ever tried by far. It also makes a light system to carry around. No extra ropes, sticks, or pegs to pack around
Old 08-23-2022, 01:02 PM

I actually thought there would be more discussion on saddle hunting, it seems like a good option for anyone not already invested in tree stands. If there is anyone in Canmore that doesn't mind taking a few minutes just to show me their set up it would be appreciated. I think I would try to do a combination of purchasing products and making my own.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:50 PM

The principle is basically the same as a self-climber.
That is interesting but it also looks like a young man's game.

But for somebody venturing deep into the mountains, and who's young and athletic (still) it sure looks like a good option.

This old man will stick to the self-climber Summit Goliath.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-23-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
The principle is basically the same as a self-climber.
That is interesting but it also looks like a young man's game.

But for somebody venturing deep into the mountains, and who's young and athletic (still) it sure looks like a good option.

This old man will stick to the self-climber Summit Goliath.
I'm not young or in great shape and i use a saddle very effectively. Its easier to set up than a hang on or ladder stand and just as comfortable.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
I actually thought there would be more discussion on saddle hunting, it seems like a good option for anyone not already invested in tree stands. If there is anyone in Canmore that doesn't mind taking a few minutes just to show me their set up it would be appreciated. I think I would try to do a combination of purchasing products and making my own.
Pm me your email and i can send you pics of my system.
The link i posted earlier is the same type of system i use to get up a tree.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:31 PM

I bought a saddle a long time ago, I was reading some books by John Eberhart, who was slinging the trophyline tree saddle; the saddle has changed since I bought mine probably 15 years ago.
https://www.trophyline.com/products/...SAAEgLrgfD_BwE

I like the idea of the tree saddle.. but I found for myself, the practicality of carrying around the saddle (which the version that I have is not small and quite cumbersome to wear or throw in your pack) and either several sets of ladders or even heavier screw in steps just wasn’t practical for moving around on a hunt.

I still use my tree saddle.. but all I use it for now is the initial set up of my tree stands, ha. I also found that the tree stand is just more comfortable for a longer sit, which to me is more effective for how I like to hunt.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
climbing sticks, saddle